PDA

View Full Version : More like hyperVexels

objuan
01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Can anyone tell me why this simplish voxel set up is glitching, as if polys are facing the wrong way. Even better, can someone tell me how to fix it?

its a dodecahedron emiting 1 particle on each normal, with a null parented to that emmiting from parent, and hypervoxeled.

I'm using my great great grand pappis LW 7.5, which I'm hoping isnt the problem. seems like i've had similar setups that worked allright.

Thanks

faulknermano
01-31-2007, 09:06 PM
it may be caused by the geometry itself. try hiding the geometry by deactiving it (eg. uncheck the CHECK column in the Scene Editor - this will prevent the geometry from rendering while still allowing HV to render). hopefully that solves your problem. you can post the scene file here so others can get a better look at it, in case my suggestion doesnt solve it.

objuan
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Good thought on hiding the geometery, but no dice. I also tried dissolving the object, and turning off seen by camera and all that other stuff.

Here is the scene and objects if anyone wants to take a crack addic i mean at it.

thanks again.

prospector
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
not getting it here. tried to find your frame but this is close as I got

objuan
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
yeah, your avatar is quite representative (is that Hertsfeild?)

Particles are finicky suckas. Some times when I open the scene, not all the arms are there, so I have to reset both emmiters, usually by toggling the fixed check box and changing the frame. What is fixed supposed to do anyhow? Why is this stuff not consistant? Aggh! I'm fleeing to the beach.

prospector
02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Ahh...redid
got the tendrils, nothing wrong.
rerendered and this time I only got little nubs instead of tendrils. :screwy:

objuan
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I dont know, and I dont think LW does either. What version are you running out of curiousity? It does make me feel better to know you are suffering with me though, thanks.

Man, you must have done a lot of posting in the 7 months you were signed up here before I logged on. Way to make me look like a chumpy member of the community. I should get some half finished truck models with no wheels sittin out on my digital lawn.

On that note, I'm getting on a bus for Mexico for the next week. I'm sure this problem will have fixed itself by the time I get back...

GregMalick
02-01-2007, 02:35 PM
No problem here, either. Could it have anything to do with the jpegs that weren't included in the zip? I rendered on LW8.5 (Discovery).

BTW - I never thought of using HV's for surfacing.... very cool.

objuan
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Hymm, forgot about the reflection maps, but I cant see why they should be the problem, not to say that they arent.

Your probably in trouble now that your on to the surfacing idea, sorry. I think a lot about trying to animate some sort of amorphous squid blob out of voxels, that can shoot out tenticles, whip accross the room, puddle up at your feet, turn a hungrey red and spiral up your leg... but the whole system seems so phinic-e, that I havent gotten much of anywhere with it. That, and I'm lazy, and enjoy the sun every once and awhile.

I would also love if you could have voxels smoothly merge with modeled geometrey...

Surrealist.
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Funny first thing I thought of when I checked out hypervoxels was -cool, use it as a surface for a kind of soft body object or something. :)

One thing I thought about doing was killing the polygons and just using a points object. The points won't render but it you can still have bone displacement and the hypervoxels will do what they do anyway which is attactch to the points. Don't know if that would help.