PDA

View Full Version : We probably won't support the ADB Eve3 Dongle

Chilton
01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi guys,

Just a heads-up. If you have an ADB Eve3 dongle (see picture attached), we probably won't support it for the Universal Binary.

-Chilton

3dworks
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi guys,

Just a heads-up. If you have an ADB Eve3 dongle (see picture attached), we probably won't support it for the Universal Binary.

-Chilton

hah, sweet - i still have one of those 'prehistoric' devices, but it was for Electric Image (they did update to USB too, of course). for some time it run on G4 macs with a griffin i-mate adapter...

Chilton
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
We could *maybe* support it. I just don't have any adapters here to make it work, and the only systems I have access to here that have ADB ports natively, won't run OSX.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd post something just in case we had any users out there who were wondering.

-Chilton

harlan
01-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Good... dump it... get rid of all that ancient BS, and RELEASE THE UB!!! ;)

byte_fx
01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
"ADB - now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time"

(To paraphrase Old Ben)

On a dongle support related subject -

What's the word on supporting a users current purple dongle under both OS X UB LW and Win XP versions?

Someone posted in the forums the EVA driver author isn't going to do an Intel UB version.

Will we be able to use one dongle to run both a Mac UB version and Intel version on Intel Macs using Boot Camp to dual boot?

Or will we be forced to choose one or the other?

Or buy a second dongle?

byte_fx

byte_fx
02-04-2007, 09:07 PM
No answer yet?

Not a good sign.

byte_fx

Chilton
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi byte_fx,

We do plan to support the Eve3 Mac-only Dongle on both Intel and PPC architectures, in the Universal Binary.

-Chilton

byte_fx
02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Mac only dongle?

So a seperate dongle will be needed to run LW on the PC side of an Intel Mac that dual boots into Windows.

byte_fx

Chilton
02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi Byte_FX,

The currently shipping dongle is red, and will work on both Macs and PCs. No worries.

We also support the Purple 'Duo' dongle, but that was a given as well.

The point of these dongle discussions is that we will *also* support a dongle we once shipped, many moons ago, which was Mac only (aka the Purple Eve3). Many of our Mac users have these, and while we could swap them out with newer red dongles, many of our users have those dongles tied to various plug-ins. And many of our users are overseas, or bought LightWave through a distributor in another country.

We are putting tremendous effort into supporting all of our Mac users in the best way possible, and supporting those Purple Eve3 dongles is one obvious way we can do that.

-Chilton

byte_fx
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Chilton

Red is current color??

Crikey - just upgraded to the purple one a couple of months ago and it was supposed to be the latest, greatest, sees all, does all dongle available.

Oh well .....

byte_fx

LightGhost
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
a friend of mine just bought lightwave 9 and came with it a red dongle and it was some how broken and he contacted NT and they replaced it for him but still when he tried to install lightwave on his macbook pro lightwave couldn't detect the dongle but under windows i works fine. What could be the problem?

SargonVI
03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
a friend of mine just bought lightwave 9 and came with it a red dongle and it was some how broken and he contacted NT and they replaced it for him but still when he tried to install lightwave on his macbook pro lightwave couldn't detect the dongle but under windows i works fine. What could be the problem?

Did he go in and process a new registration for Mac? You have to register it based on both OS or it will not recognize things correctly. At least that was what the resolution was when I had that same issue.

Sar

LightGhost
03-06-2007, 01:16 AM
yes, he did,but when he launches register lightwave and it starts the dongle scan, it says that dongle not found.

kfinla
04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Thats good to hear, i have one of those mac only purple USB dongles from LW7 (os9), and am running 8.5 in (OSX) on it with all the worley plugs tied to it.

I was wondering if i'd have to get a Red USB when i upgrade to 9 and then talk to worley and do an exchange.

Good to hear the UB is supposed to support this dongle i have.. as I'll obviuolsy want to install the UB the day it comes out.