PDA

View Full Version : Several Cams to do a *large* render?

Johnny
01-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Since Lightwave has, I believe, a 16,000 pixel limit, and each of our computers has a finite amount of RAM and resources, I wonder if large renders could be done by using multiple cameras, each of which would render 1/n of the image where n is the number of cameras, then taking the resulting images and assembling in photoshop.

Let's say you have a huge display as your goal. you "divide" the image into 16 sections, position each of the cameras so that each renders just that section.

would there be camera distortion effects from doing this? I want to do some experiments with this idea, but since large renders take awhile to actually DO, I wanted to know if others have explored this territory, also.

thanks!

J

al3d
01-30-2007, 08:12 AM
maybe give us exaclty what size image you actually want in the end-result would be more helpfull...i mean 16 000pix is 220 inces wide!...i can't for the love of god imagine what you'de want to do that's bigger then that..ahahaha. Even for large displays, you'de never need that kinda size. since they print those images at around 35dpi anyway

Lightwolf
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
This should help a lot:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=156888&postcount=1

Cheers,
Mike

Johnny
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
maybe give us exaclty what size image you actually want in the end-result would be more helpfull...i mean 16 000pix is 220 inces wide!...i can't for the love of god imagine what you'de want to do that's bigger then that..ahahaha. Even for large displays, you'de never need that kinda size. since they print those images at around 35dpi anyway

the size I'm thinking about (and dealing with right this minute) is 8 feet high by 6 feet wide.

why would I attempt this? I have a client who wants to pay me to do it, and I want to do it for them. I at least want to know how large I can render out, practically, without loosing my sanity.

J

mike_stening
01-31-2007, 02:29 AM
at that size you only need to do it at the most 50%, any more is pretty much over kill due to printing res. but if you do really have to do this at that size why not use limited region renders and stich them back together in photoshop.

Johnny
01-31-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm with ya, but this client says they will have people "right up next to" this image.

Means they are inviting critical viewing of this large picture..I'm pretty sure they want to offer it as a service to THEIR clients.

I tinkered with that limited region thing, but didn't have much luck..I should prbly look at it again...

J

mike_stening
01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
even so if people are up close your final image size is gonna be huge, is this client a printers, if not you are gonna have one narky printer wondering why the file is soo huge ([email protected] 8ftx6ft)
most instore pos stuff is still fairly low res.
but if the client says jump...
just take some verticle limited region slices of the image just remember to overlap them slightly (or horizontal, sup to you) should stop the out of memory error, changing cmaeras would end up looking like a stitched panorama, slightly bent.

any good luck

al3d
01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
if your image is 8ft wide..then it's 96" wide, so at 13824 even at 2 feet...it's gonna be crystal clear...i know..that's what i do for a living..":)