PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and Lightwave 9

EagleWing
01-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Is Windows Vista compatible with Lightwave 8.5 + 9?

DonJMyers
01-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes I second the question with Vista coming out tomorrow. More important for me, as I have a 64 bit processor, which Vista should I get and will LW 64 bit work with it? MS makes it very confusing but I want to make sure my copy of windows is 64 bit and multithreaded.

EagleWing
01-29-2007, 10:15 PM
well i think i can help you slightly there bud..
windows vista home premium and ultimate and i'm sure business versions will support 64 bit.

The thing that throws me off is that there are so many versions, it's not like XP when you could say that the only difference really between XP home and professional is that on a home verison you can't join network DOMAINS.
and on professional you can, which emphasises that Professional is meant for office networks mainly.

however with vista they say that the business versions have higher emphasis on security etc, due to the use on networks but what's wrong with having high security on home machines?
then there's the matter of things like net framework 2 etc, which i know little about but know that it allows certain types of programs to run, what if the certain versions of vista only support things similar to this (i don't mean net framework 2 specifically just similar thigns like this that help program compatibility) say you buy one version but an application you buy in the future requires you to have the upgraded version of vista.

it's so confusing as to which to buy, i'd say just buy the ultimate and have done with it but it seems like overkill if the stuff that's in it such as the business edition you'll never use at home.

EagleWing
01-30-2007, 12:40 AM
cool

radams
01-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Open GL is only one of the issues facing us in production with Vista....

Even thou it is a 64 bit system...there are so many gotcha's with it...I would warn anyone in production to stay away from it...at least 6 months to a year until things get ironed out...

There are so many issues with DRM, OpenGL, etc...

No thanks...

Cheers,

Verlon
01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Lightwave 32 and 64 both ran on the beta version of Vista I got from microsoft. I was not pleased with the Vista experience I got running Vista 64.

Perhaps they have ironed out some kinks... I know that many have stated that it is a LOT better now than it was when I was testing it.

Red_Oddity
01-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Soooo...is XP 64 till a better option than MS new piece of bloatware?

Lightwolf
01-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Soooo...is XP 64 till a better option than MS new piece of bloatware?
I'd say for the next 6, maybe even 12 months it surely is. I'm actually thinking about getting one or two licenses before they stop selling them, just in case.

Cheers,
Mike

Bog
01-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Bill Gates should be demoing something rather cool that's running under Vista with all it's content created in LightWave.

Right.

About.

Now...

mj418
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Bill Gates should be demoing something rather cool that's running under Vista with all it's content created in LightWave.

Right.

About.

Now...

Yeah, it's probably a new LW plugin that encrypts your Content folder so it can never ever be used on any machine besides the one it was created on. :D

starbase1
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Nope, I reckon I know...

The blue screen of death will flip elegantly end over end when windows crashes, and you will be able to see a real time updated indication of Mr Gates bank balance through the translucent edges as it does so.

While this is happening, it will locate your credit card details, and apply for a subscription to Windows OneCare (pronounce that carefully), in order that you can subsidise the fixing of the bugs and security loopholes they left in.

Nick

Speedmonk42
01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
What if its good?

Bog
01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, it's a Microsoft product, and it's almost as fashionable to hate anything MS as it is to own an iPod. So, you know, facts aren't really relevant.

Though it being "good" by my standards would be kinda surprising. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't remind me even a little of Workbench 3.

Lito
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Well if you do decide to go vista you should consider only going to the 32bit version. The 64bit one is going to be a mess IMO. It requires signed drivers or you can't install them on the system or to be more exact it will try to install them then give you an mysterious error message on the next reboot saying the driver file is missing or corrupt.

Welcome to the Vista revolution, it's no longer your PC, but Microsoft letting you use the PC the way they want you to use it.

Bog
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Gratuitously self-advertising link plugging my and Regularfry's just-launched Vista project (http://www.bl.uk/ttp2/ttp1.html)

DonS
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Nope, I reckon I know...

The blue screen of death will flip elegantly end over end when windows crashes, and you will be able to see a real time updated indication of Mr Gates bank balance through the translucent edges as it does so.

While this is happening, it will locate your credit card details, and apply for a subscription to Windows OneCare (pronounce that carefully), in order that you can subsidise the fixing of the bugs and security loopholes they left in.

Nick

ROFL! Thanks for that, I needed the laugh...that is, another laugh besides the one I got earlier today while looking at Vista prices.

DonJMyers
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh I'm sure production environments/offices will take years to upgrade to vista but I am just one guy and want to dual boot to play with LW in true 64 bit and use more than 2 gigs of RAM.

Also, when Crysis comes out I want to be ready! It's an amazing German game that takes advantage of 64 bit vista and directx 10 to create huge interactive jungle environments.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/index.html

Also I fix computers and need to learn about the new OS before my customers get it.

starbase1
01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
What if its good?

Well, I can think of several ways to answer that.

The mags seem agreed that it looks nicer, and that security is better. However there are plenty of reports that the new security is both invasive (telling you someone is trying to change the clock, when, er, you are trying to change the clock). And that is is still vulnerable to some rather old attacks. Every review I have seen says that the new security is not enough to rely on and that you should get additional protection.

They make a fuss about improved search too - but frankly I never understood why it could take many minutes to search an indexed hard drive in the first place. And free improved search tools are all over the place.

MS claim it is faster overall, but they always say that, and I have never found it true. Try loading up an old version of an MS application - you will find it rockets along!

This seems to leave improved look and feel as the only clear step forward.

So five years and how many billion for a pretty new shell? I'll bet you that 90% of the features will appear as shareware for XP inside six months.

However my main cynicism is a bit more basic.

It's an operating system.

Got that?

This means it is NOT a goal in itself, it's a way to run applications. It's job is to start programs, load files, and provide an interface to hardware.

You should be spending your time in applications doing actual tasks, not playing with the OS.

Nick

lilrayray77
01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Now Im curious about why so many are bashing Gates. Isn't there another guy that is beginning to take over? You can't automatically assume Gates is trying to screw everyone over, can you?

Now about vista and opengl: will Opengl support be up to driver manufacturers or will MS eventually improve its performance? I would think if Microsoft stopped any Opengl support, they would lose a lot of sales.

mj418
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
However my main cynicism is a bit more basic.

Got that?

This means it is NOT a goal in itself, it's a way to run applications. It's job is to start programs, load files, and provide an interface to hardware.

You should be spending your time in applications doing actual tasks, not playing with the OS.

Nick

Yeah, bigtime, you are so right. If I buy a new "off-the-rack" 64 bit machine, the first thing I'm gonna do is wipe the HD and install XP 64.
All that transparent shininess in the menus and..whatever. That's why I got Windows Blind, and I don't even use that anymore.

EagleWing
01-30-2007, 02:09 PM
This is the reply i got back from newtek when i asked them.

"At 10:39 AM 1/30/2007, you wrote:

As of right now no. Our developers are waiting for the first service
pack to come out. Before we give the ok.

Sylvia
NewTek Tech Support
[email protected]

> Website Form Submission: Monday 29th of January 2007 08:11:14 PM
> From: Philip Gilson
>
>
> Can you please tell me if Lightwave 85 & Lightwave 9 is
> compatible with all version of Window Vista?
>thank you.
"

geothefaust
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a rather good stance to have, on Newtek's part.

This is the reply i got back from newtek when i asked them.

"At 10:39 AM 1/30/2007, you wrote:

As of right now no. Our developers are waiting for the first service
pack to come out. Before we give the ok.

Sylvia
NewTek Tech Support
[email protected]
"

M$ stance on OpenGL is not good at all, so using LW (or any other 3D app) will probably not be all that great. But we'll see what happens when third parties come out with their OGL drivers.

And the prices for vista are so freaking out of hand. I'd rather spend the money on something worthwhile, or at least an OS that is STABLE.

Bloatware indeed.

Speedmonk42
01-30-2007, 05:55 PM

Got that?

------------------

I just meant the 'what if its good?' question in a rhetorical sort of way because everyone is assuming it is going to be bad. As much as I have been babbling about Linux I am quite certain Christmas + DX10 + xyz-game will be rather difficult to resist.

It is of some concern given that we are not all technical wizzes and if you plan on buying a new computer after the next few months.... you are likely to get Vista.

Bog
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Got that?

I sorely wish people did. Sadly, an awful lot of people - the majority - buy Brand Names, not operating systems.

I buy Windows 'cause it lets me use PCs. PCs give me three times the rendering grunt per unit money spent than Macs. LW is no longer available for AmigaDOS, Irix or DEC Alpha. Hence... Windows.

It's the cheapest compatible loader for the cheapest, fastest compatible hardware.

Did I miss something?

Oh yeah - LW. The best bang for buck going - ability, usability, width of user base, interoperability with mainstream hardware and software. Maximised for the buck.

Speedmonk42
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I sorely wish people did. Sadly, an awful lot of people - the majority - buy Brand Names, not operating systems.

I buy Windows 'cause it lets me use PCs. PCs give me three times the rendering grunt per unit money spent than Macs. LW is no longer available for AmigaDOS, Irix or DEC Alpha. Hence... Windows.

It's the cheapest compatible loader for the cheapest, fastest compatible hardware.

Did I miss something?

Oh yeah - LW. The best bang for buck going - ability, usability, width of user base, interoperability with mainstream hardware and software. Maximised for the buck.

Ooops, I didn't say that Starbase did. I agree with both of you.

EDIT: Ah I see, it does not quote the quote......

I just came from a lunch where I was subjected a solid hour of 'religous' mac rhetoric. I suspect most of the people here simply use the Mac as tool of preference and are of the professional kind.

What is creepy is the weird sort of misinformation and almost blissfull ignorance that permeates that community. 4 people absolutely flatly refused to believe that the same RAM went into PC's and Macs, that their Apple dealer would charge 3 times more for the same part as the guy across the street. They actually believe apple makes hard drives.

I just don't get it. While you can certainly and easily find ignorance with PC users, you don't readily find denial or the sense of personal worth wrapped up in the choice of computer.

Bog
01-31-2007, 04:13 AM
Quite so, Speedmonk. And in "normal" people - people who just use their technology like they use their cars, bimbling to work and back, occasionally nipping to the shop at the weekend - this sort of blissful ignorance is fine. It's forgivable.

3D animators use their computers like rally drivers use their cars. We hammer them. We squit every last iota of capability from our machines, and seeing as we've always got a finite budget we've got to get the most from that budget as we can.

The only current compelling reason to buy a Mac is the fact that it can use more RAM than a PC can. That's not a concern for me yet - but should it ever be I'll fork over for the biggest darn Mac I can find and pray to any Gh0d that may be out there that LightWave can see the eight gig I'm shoving into it.

And I'll be ordering that RAM from either Dabs or Scan depending on who's prices are lower that day, because as you say it's identical RAM.

The flatpanel I'm working on right now is exactly the same TFT and lighting as the Apple 30" cinema display. It's just black of bezel and 2/3rds the price (about 1,000 instead of about 1,500).

I get all upset when people use their computers as religions. They're pieces of kit. Some are better for some tasks, others are appriopriate for different tasks. No matter what you get, you'll think it's too slow next year. C'est la vie.

DonJMyers
01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I fix computers so I wanted to learn about the OS before my clients did. So I installed it on another hard drive I bought.

The most difficult thing about it is attempting to open the box! The package is so bizarrely put together and covered with almost invisible sticky tape tabs. I am a big buff guy and I eventually wanted to smash it open! It appears you can't open the box without ripping the id seal. Then the whole thing hinges open to reveal the product code prominently displayed on one side. It's all about copy protection I guess.

NO 64 BIT version is for sale at retail. I had to buy the 32 bit version and order 64 shipped to me. Grrr! I will probably install that on another HD just to compare the two versions. But that is very annoying as the DVD is half empty. 64 bit LW and large ram were the main point of vista's value to me. It's all marketing as the most expensive Vista has both code bases on one disk but I didn't want to pay a lot more for it.

After I updated the music and video drivers everything was fine. Lightwave runs great with no opengl problems and looks cooler under aero. My system was plagued by crashes of the video card driver several times a day but Vista ran last night without crashing. Seems promising.

I CAN FINALLY RUN OBLIVION! A game that would crash my old machine every five minutes and was unwinnable finally works just fine. I finally opened a door that used to permacrash XP. That was actually worth the price of the os! Game runs faster with less pauses too but I could only test it with one vid card.

Nvidia's much ballyhooed being ready for windows apparently doesn't mean SLI (double video cards) are ready. As of today they STILL don't have that feature supported in their drivers even though it's the major reason to have two video cards as I do. I only could use one to play oblivion. Five years this is coming and they still aren't ready?

starbase1
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh, and unlike those nice Newtek types, who fixed their European pricing, Mr Gates appears to be under the impression that the current exchange rate is 1 dollar to the Pound.

It's been a lot closer to 2 for a long time Bill!

lilrayray77
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Once again, why must everybody bash gates?

starbase1
01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Err.. Suggest an alternative person to blame for the borg like absorber and innovation free zone that MS has become.

geothefaust
01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Err.. Suggest an alternative person to blame for the borg like absorber and innovation free zone that MS has become.

Haha. It's true. He deserves just about all of the mud thrown his way.

Don Myers, I am curious. Do you use any plugins with LW? Are you having any problems with them? That's one of my concerns. I'm kind of surprised you didn't have any problems with OGL. :)

mj418
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Once again, why must everybody bash gates?

Why not? Gotta bash *someone*, after all, and bashing Steve Jobs on graphics forums always gets me into trouble. :D

lwaddict
01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Running three systems with Vista Ultimate since last night...
two upgrades and one new system...

No crashes or weirdness in Lightwave or SpeedEdit on any system...
long renders, loads of testing, nada, nilch...runs fine.

And the weird thing is that small irritants that were there before are gone.

I'm liking it.

Bog
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Why not? Gotta bash *someone*, after all, and bashing Steve Jobs on graphics forums always gets me into trouble. :D

Never really got either side of that one. Why've you gotta bash anyone? You have at your fingertips huge amounts of power to go create something to make yourself feel better.

And, re: the Apple thing, I came out with a bitter critique for Apple blaming Windows for their shipping a virus on their iPods, and someone actually reported a complaint to the moderators here because of it! Amazing.

Speedmonk42
01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah it is really amusing sometimes when people bash Gates. You dig a little deeper and sometimes you find people with some legitimate complaints, often though it is total garbage.

I had this lady come into the office telling me how much windows sucked, it was terrible ect ecct.... she was running Win95, which at the time she had upgraded to.

So she was browsing the internet with an OS written 15 years ago on hardware that was 16 years old.

I find that amazing.

Oh... and I just bought a badminton racket the other day, the store had a beater old DOS system as a POS. It was older than the girl at the cash.

lwaddict
01-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Oh...failed to mention that we've got an XBox360 that downloads and slings HD movie content to and from the Vista System in the other room, and if you're an iPod fan...
well...
you're missing out on Zune.
Had a Zune for two days and just gave away my iPod as a result.

Oh...didn't I hear about Apple giving away millions to some school just recently?
Oops, sorry...that would be the "Gates" Foundation wouldn't it? LOL.

Fausto
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
I fix computers so I wanted to learn about the OS before my clients did. So I installed it on another hard drive I bought.

The most difficult thing about it is attempting to open the box! The package is so bizarrely put together and covered with almost invisible sticky tape tabs. I am a big buff guy and I eventually wanted to smash it open! It appears you can't open the box without ripping the id seal. Then the whole thing hinges open to reveal the product code prominently displayed on one side. It's all about copy protection I guess.

NO 64 BIT version is for sale at retail. I had to buy the 32 bit version and order 64 shipped to me. Grrr! I will probably install that on another HD just to compare the two versions. But that is very annoying as the DVD is half empty. 64 bit LW and large ram were the main point of vista's value to me. It's all marketing as the most expensive Vista has both code bases on one disk but I didn't want to pay a lot more for it.

After I updated the music and video drivers everything was fine. Lightwave runs great with no opengl problems and looks cooler under aero. My system was plagued by crashes of the video card driver several times a day but Vista ran last night without crashing. Seems promising.

I CAN FINALLY RUN OBLIVION! A game that would crash my old machine every five minutes and was unwinnable finally works just fine. I finally opened a door that used to permacrash XP. That was actually worth the price of the os! Game runs faster with less pauses too but I could only test it with one vid card.

Nvidia's much ballyhooed being ready for windows apparently doesn't mean SLI (double video cards) are ready. As of today they STILL don't have that feature supported in their drivers even though it's the major reason to have two video cards as I do. I only could use one to play oblivion. Five years this is coming and they still aren't ready?

I purchased the Ultimate version and it came with both the 32bit and 64bit in the same case, on two separate DVD's.. And this OS rocks!! We were so impressed with the release candidates, but we're even more impressed with the updated version.. stable, fast, and hardly bloatware. There are less resources running than in XP.. this is a real huge improvement in my opinion on so many fronts.. It's faster, smoother, easier to use, better protections in place for the less comfortable and it's just plain old nice to look at.. I had no issues ripping a DVD or CD with it.. they played back just fine, like the originals.. OpenGL has been addressed already with updated drivers.. Nvidia and ATI have released new ones.. For example, in XP I was never able to take advantage of the transparent menus in modo, with a GeForce 7800 GT, but with this OS, and the latest drivers no problems.. smooth and clear man!

Here's the test I just performed.. I loaded LW, and Cinema 4D previewed an animation in both, left them running and then did the flip 3D trick that I'm sure everyone's seen.. well it didn't miss a beat.. I was watching the animations running while flipping through the stack of applications.. At the time I was running OneCare Tuneup which consists of defrag, virus scan and backing up.. I had Photoshop open and this window..

This OS is absolutely rock solid.. Once the plugin and application developers really get serious about 64bit, I'll replace this workstation with a quadcore intel monster and go for the 64bit version..

My prediction; this is going to be huge for MS..:thumbsup:

Verlon
02-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Anyone had any experience with Vista 64 yet? I seem to have contracted an instability, and I am looking at a clean install anyway....

I had some definite issues with Vista 64 early in beta, and didn't continue to run the beta afterwards. I hear it is much improved now.

I want some of the features found in Vista....just want to make sure its not like my beta experience (which does not at all resemble my Lightwave beta experience--or even my WinXP beta experience).

lwaddict
02-01-2007, 08:31 AM
No Vista 64 installs yet...
but because of my experience with it thus far,
we're setting up a new system which will be running the 64 bit version
by next week.

I'm loving it.

It's like...well...:santa:

iainbyoung
02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm running the 64bit release, (installed it yesterday). Seems really stable so far. Can't get any printer drivers yet for my printer, but other than that I'm impressed...

JGary
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
For those already running Vista, how much more ram is Vista using versus XP? I recently bought a Dell laptop with 2gb of ram and it has a free Vista upgrade. With XP, I'm currently using every ounce of that 2gb or ram and maxing out to 4gb is just too expensive currently.

iainbyoung
02-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm running vista 64bit on my desktop (2gb ram, AMD 4800+ processor). After the OS has booted and it's sat there with just the desktop and associated gadgets (antivirus, windows defender, roxio easy media creator, sidebar widgets etc) running, it's using just under 500mb of ram.

Chuck
02-01-2007, 10:13 AM
NewTek's 3D Engineering staff have been testing with MS Windows Vista during our v9 cycle development and we have not encountered any problems within LightWave itself. We are aware that there are issues with OpenGL performance that reside in the video card drivers currently available. We have been communicating with the manufacturers and they have provided assurances that they are working to bring Vista driver support to the level they have provided on Windows XP.

The release version of Vista is offered in a range of levels, and NewTek's engineering team is of course evaluating whether there may be issues with any of those levels. So far it does not appear so, but if any are encountered we will note that in our next update with regard to OS requirements, or address it in our v9.x development if possible in order to provide full support across the range of Vista levels.

JGary
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm running vista 64bit on my desktop (2gb ram, AMD 4800+ processor). After the OS has booted and it's sat there with just the desktop and associated gadgets (antivirus, windows defender, roxio easy media creator, sidebar widgets etc) running, it's using just under 500mb of ram.

Is that with a virus protection program running as well? With XP, my ram usage is around 470mb with no applications open. However, 150mb of that ram is being used by my virus software, PC cilliin.

JGary
02-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I found this on a website evaluating Vista -

"I was particularly interested in the RAM usage after installation of Windows Vista and also the number of services running, right after install and without any addition of the user. Seems like:

Windows XP runs with 24 active processes taking up 223 MB of RAM and Windows Vista runs with 41 active processes taking up 436 MB of RAM."

Well, poop on that, I need that 200mb of ram!

iainbyoung
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Oops sorry, it's running at 600-700mb, (had a dose of brain fade there). That's with the following all loaded and running...

NOD32 (antivirus)
Roxio Easy media Creator (cdrw bits)
Windows defender
Desktop gadgets (clock, processor monitor, sticky notes)

slackadocious
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
vista is as vista does.

Until I've seen some undeniable proof that vista is out performing XP machines in every respect, I wont be making the switch any time soon.

I installed build 6000 (retail build) of the 64bit Ultimate edition when it was released, after a clean install and 5 mins sitting idle there were 780mb of memory in use. With some tweaking i got it down to about 500.. still an unheard of amount of resources required compared to almost any other OS.

I dont see the value in sacrificing performance and resources for the new ghettoass apple rip-off widget/gadgets and the other Fluff features built into vista.

When DX10 finally becomes standard and the average pc has no less than 4gb of memory, I MIGHT switch to vista. Until then I dont see the point in slowing down my current pc with vista, just for the extra fluff in my windowing experience.

If I needed fluff I'd buy an apple.

starbase1
02-01-2007, 03:23 PM
If I needed fluff I'd buy an apple.

Ha!

iainbyoung
02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Until I've seen some undeniable proof that vista is out performing XP machines in every respect, I wont be making the switch any time soon.

Don't buy it then :)

So far for me, it's running far faster than XP ever did...

rolfalm
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
For those already running Vista, how much more ram is Vista using versus XP? I recently bought a Dell laptop with 2gb of ram and it has a free Vista upgrade. With XP, I'm currently using every ounce of that 2gb or ram and maxing out to 4gb is just too expensive currently.

Great article that expalins how Vista uses RAM and many other new features. I think it might answer many questions. Skip to page 3 for the RAM info:

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=1

Vista handles RAM much differently that Windows XP thanks to a feature called "SuperFetch". Basically, Vista monitors which apps you use the most and caches them into system RAM. If you are not using the cached app and launch something else, Vista will bump the cashed data and replace with the program you just loaded. Though it may appear to be using gobs of memory when you do not have anything opened, anything above 500mb or so will be made available when needed. I freaked the first time I noticed this. My system has 2GB. I had several apps opened, which I closed to go to a meeting. When I returned, my mem usage was pegged at 1.2GB with no apps opened. WTF???? I then opened Lotus Notes, plus a few apps that I did not have opened before. Used mem FELL to around 600mb after opening these apps. This was because Vista dumped the cached apps and loaded the apps that I launched. There was no noticeable delay. This had me worried until I read Anand's article. Overall, I'm very happy with Vista Ulimate.

Alliante
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
..... We are aware that there are issues with OpenGL performance that reside in the video card drivers currently available. We have been communicating with the manufacturers and they have provided assurances that they are working to bring Vista driver support to the level they have provided on Windows XP......

Thank you for the OpenGL update, Chuck :)

So far this has been my only issue with the OS.
I've been running it here on my TravelMate 8200 since Nov from RC1.... now Ultimate. There's quite a big difference in the RC's and release performance and stability.
I was expecting a bit, but not this much.

So if you didn't like the RC's due to performance or stability, give the release a try, you might be surprised.

lwaddict
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm network admin when I'm not creating digital content and it's gotta be said...

all tests here with Vista systems are showing that they outperform the XP OS but it is a very different system under the hood, which seems to be frightening some people with good reason...
it does appear to hog up all your resources but they are freed as needed and the switch is transparent.

I'm upgrading all our home systems and all my graphics systems as soon as I can verify that my software will run on it.

The reason some companies, mine included, aren't switching right away is cost. Not singular cost, mind you, but overall...a lot of companies will run over 50% of their systems in a competely outdated fashion...this is purely to save money.
Afterall...the total and complete update of all systems on the network would put the company down for upwards of a quater mil, and then some.

Vista runs great. Just learn a little about it before you go in and stop listening to the nay sayers.

Bog
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Vista's basal memory footprint is a lot bigger than XP's, but it's dynamic memory management is far more efficient. If you've got enough to get going, you get a lot more bang for your buck out of what's left.

And, again people - please. Go to the Shaxam link in my signature, grab our free Modeler conversion plugin and get designing for the WPF-enabled web. Let's get out there, and showing the Internet what LightWave can do. I point out that this is not just about Vista. Big love.

Bob Biestek
03-22-2007, 08:32 AM
After reading everyones notes I am still hazy on what I need to do and download to get my LW9 running on my new Vista, 32byte Laptop. I am not using this as a production machine, but I need to be able to save files.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Bob

Andy Webb
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Running Vista 64 here and no major problems. Had a few issues to begin with but since then it's been great :thumbsup:

The only problem I've found is that the latest version of Adobe After Effects is incompatible. I don't know if this is also an issue with Vista 32 though.

I don't know why there was all the doom and gloom over Vista either.

Andy

CAClark
03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
I've had issues with VISTA mistakingly identifying LW OpenBeta as frozen and killing the process, but I have had no problems with LW8.5 & LW9.0 under Vista 64.

Cheers!

mouse_art
03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Run vista x64 ultimate, and it works very well(if you keep the xp release time in mind).
Yeah some minimal driver glitches with some HW but else no problems.
I had some minor hick ups with OB17 but they are gone now with OB18

I have for some no3d tools Virtual PC 07 installed, but else i had not to boot xp pro yet.

And now scream, even with a ATI Card. ;)

Andy Webb
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Run vista x64 ultimate, and it works very well(if you keep the xp release time in mind).

Yes I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate, have LW9.0 and LW9.2 both 64 and 32 bit versions running fine.

Andy

CAClark
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I need to update my drivers, can't recall what versions I had at home, but I am hoping that might end my process killing annoyances with the OB.

I personally have found the aero theme to be non problematic, even when showing blurred opengl behind windows.

Cheers!

CAClark
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate, have LW9.0 and LW9.2 both 64 and 32 bit versions running fine.

Andy

ATi or nVidia? I do begin to think I have misplaced the blame for my problems with NT, when it may be the infancy of VIsta drivers perhaps.

Bog
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
nVidia drivers for Vista were lagging faarrrrrr behind the curve. Given LW's known problems on some ATi cards, this is a recipe for sadness, dolour and gloom.

mouse_art
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
nVidia drivers for Vista were lagging faarrrrrr behind the curve. Given LW's known problems on some ATi cards, this is a recipe for sadness, dolour and gloom.

Yeah i was a bit surprised that nvidia slept a bit, because they claimed that they worked for so long on vista support. ;)

Adrian Lopez
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm in Bruce Schneier's camp (http://www.schneier.com/essay-157.html) on this one.

Andy Webb
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
ATi or nVidia? I do begin to think I have misplaced the blame for my problems with NT, when it may be the infancy of VIsta drivers perhaps.

I'm on:-

Intel Dual core E6600
NVidia 7950 GT
4Gb RAM

I was also disappointed at the poor state of the NVidia drivers but they seem to be slowly getting there.

In fact all the hardware on my machine is now working fine, scanner, printers etc. I suspect not all the driver are 64 bit mind you.

Andy

Andy Webb
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm in Bruce Schneier's camp (http://www.schneier.com/essay-157.html) on this one.

While I think there's a good point to be made there, It's not one that would stop me running Vista. I use my machine for work and not much for entertainment :)

Surrealist.
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Interesting. I also run other software/hardware for MIDI and Audio aplications. I have been noticing that all of the companies are starting to support Vista 64 bit and 32 bit now where as when I enquired about Xp 64 bit a year ago or so I was kind of scoffed at by support people. I think companies did not want to deal with XP 64 and were waiting for Vista which would be more universally in use which makes sense. I think things will turn around for Vista fairly rapidly.

The next machine I build will be Vista 64 bit with 8 cores.