PDA

View Full Version : Floating Paradise

JML
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Floating Paradise in the middle of the ocean.

At night and during storms the glass canopy closes to protect the inside.
(I animated it but not rendered yet...)
the diameter of the sphere is 500m, I added the oil tanker in the background
to show the size of the sphere..

scene is 4 million polys..
1 area light for the sun, monte carlo 1 bounce, perspective camera.
(the ocean uses APS, I applied a simple gradient to have more faces in the foreground and less in the background..)
previewed in fprime but rendered in lightwave. (fprime could not render that scene at high resolution)

please let me know if you prefer the portrait or landscape ratio..

hope you like it,

oDDity
01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
It's a great design and model.
I'm getting no sense of the large scale this is supposed to be though. I think it may be due to the way you've done the waves around it. Even with the tanker there to force the viewer to think of it as huge, it still looks like a toy.

JML
01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
It's a great design and model.
I'm getting no sense of the large scale this is supposed to be though. I think it may be due to the way you've done the waves around it. Even with the tanker there to force the viewer to think of it as huge, it still looks like a toy.

thanks,
I might do more views of it..
I did the view below a while back, you can see a little more how big it is..
the best was at sea level, but you didn't see much from there.
that's why I was thinking about rendering an animation that goes around and at different height to truly understand the size of it..

pixeltek
01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Beautiful detailed work, great render and excellent looking water. I did get the sense of scale easily from the multi-tiered, many storied buildings inside, more than from the oil tanker in the background, which could be a cargo ship of any size, IMO. Still, shutters or no, in a 200 mph hurricane or taifoon, I for one, would not want to be on board. Now, submerging them at such a time would make them quite safe and interesting to be in, what do you think? :thumbsup:

pixeltek
01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
One more point. There is a company, it might have been talked about on TV maybe on Discovery or History Channel, which is intending to construct a huge, ocean going city. Theirs had an airfield on the top, for easy access for the (wealthy) citizens, and it was powered and able to move around the oceans of the Earth according to some plan. I think they're selling condos on it already, as part of the financing process.

JML
01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Beautiful detailed work, great render and excellent looking water. I did get the sense of scale easily from the multi-tiered, many storied buildings inside, more than from the oil tanker in the background, which could be a cargo ship of any size, IMO. Still, shutters or no, in a 200 mph hurricane or taifoon, I for one, would not want to be on board. Now, submerging them at such a time would make them quite safe and interesting to be in, what do you think? :thumbsup:

thanks a lot,
that could work too, :)
the idea was if the shutters are closed, the sphere would safely be able to tilt if there are huge waves around.

I think the same rule would apply as with cruise ship, I think cruiseship all time
make sure they don't get in the way of a hurricane..

that sphere has some propulsion system, (but probably be very slow because of its shape) and a long counterweight at the bottom to minimize tilt..
I did not model it since you can't see under the water ;)
but I was thinking also doing a cut through to see the inside.. which I might still do, not sure..

JML
01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
2 more images..

Speedmonk42
01-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't see a soccer field, so I have to request the word paradise be removed.

Looks cool.

creativecontrol
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't see a soccer field, so I have to request the word paradise be removed.

Soccer? Perhaps by this date they'll have made it a contact sport so they're not so may girl-wanna-be's faking injuries ever few seconds. Maybe a hockey rink would be OK.

Seriously, I like this image a lot. How did you get such a nice water texture near the floating paradise (lighter water where the waves interact). Looks very good! Cheers!

Kuzey
01-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Wonderful model...love the water texture...superness. :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JML
01-30-2007, 06:09 AM
thanks,

...soccer fields and many other sport fields are indoor ;)
my brother wanted to add a golf but it was hard to find a place..
maybe if I switch some of the swimming pool on the big buildings with some
sport fields, that could work.

for the water, it was first deformed with some procedural, and then more
procedurals for the bump.. a gradient set to "bump" was also used to add the white... I'm at work, but I'll try to give more info when I get back tonight.

LAV
01-30-2007, 06:29 AM
This is what I mean as "thinking on an huge scale". This kind of image is a grateful gift to eyes! :thumbsup:

Randog
01-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Very nicely done! Wonderful work.

I like the portrait.

-=R=-

Floating Paradise in the middle of the ocean.

At night and during storms the glass canopy closes to protect the inside.
(I animated it but not rendered yet...)
the diameter of the sphere is 500m, I added the oil tanker in the background
to show the size of the sphere..

scene is 4 million polys..
1 area light for the sun, monte carlo 1 bounce, perspective camera.
(the ocean uses APS, I applied a simple gradient to have more faces in the foreground and less in the background..)
previewed in fprime but rendered in lightwave. (fprime could not render that scene at high resolution)

please let me know if you prefer the portrait or landscape ratio..

hope you like it,

Andyjaggy
01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Very cool design and idea.

Skinner3D
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
:thumbsup: Very nice. As per your original question I like the landscape version better. If ever gets rendered I want to see the animation.

I really like the amount of detail you put into it.

Exception
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Great image JML...

as for the orientation, the portrait one puts the front object to the side, aloowing the viewer so slip past, and it makes the oil taker the main subject of the image, not the foreground floating city.

The scale issue I think can also be solved by adding some white sea water frothing around the object. Small objects in water do not create white foam, but water beating on rocks and with large ships, you get that typical white stuff.

JML
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM
thanks guys,

Exception, I agree with what you say about the portrait one, and if I keep it, I might just remove the oil tanker..
I prefer the landscape one.. I don't like cropping half of the sphere after
the time I spent modelling it ;)

ingo
02-01-2007, 02:54 AM
previewed in fprime but rendered in lightwave. (fprime could not render that scene at high resolution)....

Thats odd, i always had the opposite experience. When LW failed FPrime will render it.

Nice design and images, but as some mentioned smaller waves will be better, i guess scaling down the oceanwaves by 50 % would look much better. And how about rendering it with only backdrop raydiosity, should be a bit faster and not much different.

Iain
02-01-2007, 03:51 AM
I never have problems with FPrime if I use the Low Ram TGA format.

Great design and renders. Landscape for me.

safetyman
02-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Great work!

JML
02-01-2007, 08:32 AM
thanks,

well, fprime renders fine at 1024 but when I try to do a render
at 4848x3636, it crashes (with that scene).
(I have 3 Gb ram with the 3gb switch on)

I did not do Backdrop Only because the sun doesn't go in the sphere enough, so I need a bounce of light to light the other side of the inside..
I tried 2 bounce with fprime but then it looked too bright, so I kept it at 1 bounce..

objuan
02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Way cool idea and execution. Nice work. Some sort of circular tram that goes around the outside and or hanging from the walkways might be a nice touch, as I doubt people who can afford to live there are gonna pay to walk to their neighbors. Also a helipad and and docking area for smaller ships.

I too saw some show a while ago about a mega floating city they are developing (and one on palm tree shaped artificial islands near the UAE). I remember the renders weren't as nice as these. Thanks for sparking my imagination, although I don't know that living in a man made bubble with a bunch of rich jerks is my idea of paradise.

Oh yeah, landscape is the way to go, panoramic even I think might push the epic sense of scale.

eomer
02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice work. I kind of like the first image more, but the second one seems more zoomed it. There is a good amount of detail too.

JML
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
thanks

the palm tree shaped artificial islands are in dubai , you can see it on google satellite, they have also one with the shape of the world, pretty cool..

Kurtis
02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Gotta go with oDDity on this one.

You've got some beautiful work here, but especially in the first image, the scale really feels off.

I think the biggest problem is that the water texture feels too big, and is throwing the scale off. With windows right down on the water line, and as big as those swells look, it looks like one of them could take out an entire section of rooms.

As far away as the tanker and second city are, I think they should be a little more out of focus too.

If this was mine, I'd try to drag some tips and feedback out of Khalid as the resident expert at this kind of render.

Bliz
02-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Great Work!! :thumbsup:
Reminds me of those books about the 'future' I'd read as a kid.

To help the scale, I'd be tempted to ditch the tanker/container ship and instead have two or three smaller ferry type boats sailing between the cities and maybe a couple of even smaller coastguard style boats sailing as if they are monitoring, policing or maintaining the cities.

My reasoning for this is that I'm sure if you lived on one of those cities that you'd occasionally want or need to travel to the other cities. The most straightforward and economical way would be by a standard ferry service.

I'm also thinking that an oil tanker wouldn't be allowed to sail through the middle of a city complex like that for safety and enviromental reasons.

But you could have a few standard cruiseliners docked onto the side of the cities to represent tourists from normal land-based cities taking a trip to these new floating wonder cities?

Also, get some tiny airborne vehicles hovering around the city, like with the small boats, they would represent maintainence, surveilance and security authorities going about their business. Maybe have a few 'executive' airborne craft ziping between the cities, taking millionaires and tycoons back and forth?

JML
02-02-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm also thinking that an oil tanker wouldn't be allowed to sail through the middle of a city complex like that for safety and enviromental reasons.

:D

I was thinking about an anim-catastrophe about the tanker or a submarine breaking the hull of the sphere... that might be cool but I probably
would need realflow plugin to do that :)

lots of good points though.. which will require lots more work.. :o
I think I will work more on it, the cruiseship might be fun to do..

..until then, here is a test for an evening shot.. of course I would need to add lots of lights inside.. and I will do a different camera for that one too..

jdomingo
02-02-2007, 06:45 PM
why would you want to destroy such beautiful paradise? or it's just the nature of the human being to build and destroy. i think this is a great concept and i believe if you would show it to any developing country (dubai, qatar,....etc) they would buy it. strike it while the iron is hot. (dont forget my commission)

Darrell
02-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Nice work JML, though I want to side with the landscape ratio...the way you cropped it off at at the side at the bottom makes just as probably more exciting than just showing the entire...what is it anyway lol

none the less awesome work

JML
02-11-2007, 08:10 AM
here is another one, night version with some lights
(more than 600 shadowless lights)

JML
02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
another view angle