PDA

View Full Version : Non-Planars

Elmo_Lincoln
01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
This is a very simple questions. Could someone tell how to eliminate non-planars by keystrokes? I learned this in a class but can't recall how to do it. It was a while ago. I have a Mac but I don't believe this makes any difference.

I recall opening up a display panel. I'd select the non-planars word from the list which would then automatically select all the non-planars. Then I'd hit some keys and the non-planars would be converted. Sound familiar.

You have to pardon me but I'm merely a mortal amongst digital Gods.

Surrealist.
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
You don't "fix" Non planars that way. Your memory is partly correct though. What you do is whille in the poly select mode you hit w and bring up the polygon stats window. There you click on the + next to non planars and they will become selected. If you want a quick fix, it depends on your project and what you are doing but you would then go Shift t for tripple. That would tribple the nonplanars, but this is a very slopy way to model. Unless this is the only way to solve it and only in certain situations, should you use this quck fix. First you should satisfy these questions:

Are my poly's nonplanar because of poor modeling?

If yes, then could I correct the nonplanar by fixing the model so that the poly is planar?

Is this for an organic object shape that will not be in subpatch mode, such as a car with a high density spline cage mesh? If so, could I go in and just correct the geometry or should I just try and triple the non-planars. But frankly even in this situation there is a solution.

Solution:

To fix a nonplanar pre v.9 with the one poly selected chose streatch (h) and use the ctrl key along with drag (in mouse control center mode,) place the cursor to the side or behind the polygon and drag. It will pull the geometry flat. This also applies to multple points or polys's that need to be flattened.

In version 9 with the single poly selected use the flatten tool and select polygon normal unless it is supposed to be oriented on x y or z, you can use those modes.

After you have satisfied these questions/solutions you can use triple as a last resort.

mj418
01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I used to fall back on the ol' Shift+t thing too. Quick fix, yes, but a couple of years ago that's what I needed.
Would often have decent results, but eventually I'd get deeper into the model and see triangles all over the place. Sloppy. And they'd invariably get fashioned back into ... you guessed it, more, newer non-planar polys. ;)

Elmo_Lincoln
01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow, thanks a heap. I really, really appreciate your responses. I was a bit concerned that this issue was too common and dull for the tech gods around here, ha ha! That must be it, Shift T. Thanks for the other info enlightening me. It's a little confusing exactly what you are talking about. I'm not sure I'm picturing it correctly but I will try it and at least I am aware of this "better" route now. Thanks again.