PDA

View Full Version : MAC OBJ TO LWO Converter for free?

RAIN RA
01-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I am using FORM Z and I am trying to export a obj on my mac to lwo. FORMZ lwo file does not read well the file once in lightwave so I need a file converter. Anyone know if there are any good free file converters for mac?
Any help would be great.
- RAIN

Tartiflette
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Do you know you can import OBJ directly into Modeler ?

It's working fine for me.
I'd say that it's more difficult to export to OBJ, since Modeler on the Mac seems to "break" OBJs sometime, but on import i have no problem at all !

Regards,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Giacomo99
01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
What exactly is happening to the .lwo file you're exporting?

I've been saving .lwo files out of Form Z for several years and Modeler usually open them fine. If you can post screen caps of your problem (missing polys, whatever) we might be able to offer more advice.

gatz
01-29-2007, 04:01 PM
FormZ import and exports lwo. LightWave imports and exports obj. What's the issue?

rg

3dworks
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
hi rain ra,

what version of FZ do you have? i'm exporting LWO's all the time here and i'm very happy with that output, at least with FZ series 6. maybe it's a settings problem? or an older version of FZ (there where some issues in the past)?

if for some reason you cannot export LWO's at all, you can try to go by the electricimage FACT format. it is still supported in LW modeler (didn't test this for the current beta, but sure for 9.0).

markus

Tartiflette
01-30-2007, 02:12 AM
A lot of time the export "destroy" the obj...It's not readable by Maya.

But i have found a workaround with the time... I import the lwo in Blender and export to whatever format i want ! There are a lot of good exporter in Blender, so that's what i'm doing...

Fortunately, i don't have to export very often, so it's not a big deal for me.

Regards,

3dworks
01-30-2007, 02:52 AM
A lot of time the export "destroy" the obj...It's not readable by Maya.

But i have found a workaround with the time... I import the lwo in Blender and export to whatever format i want ! There are a lot of good exporter in Blender, so that's what i'm doing...

Fortunately, i don't have to export very often, so it's not a big deal for me.

Regards,

ah! blender! good to know, anyway!

markus

3dworks
01-31-2007, 02:57 AM
rain ra, just a small update: in case you used formz 6.1 on an intel mac, the new patch 6.1.1 fixes a problem with LWO files exported from FZ.

cheers

markus

jeremyhardin
04-12-2007, 08:38 AM
I had to do this recently for a project, and here were the problems I ran into (and solved).

The problems I ran into with obj export from LW on mac were:
Line endings problems with mac text files. Opening and resaving in Smultron solved this.
UV Maps not translating. For this I had to make sure that if a UV map was on a surface, all the polygons in that surface had some UV map data for that map. Also, the surface had to have a UV texture on the color channel to be seen during export.
Flipped or forgotten polygons in maya, or just failed import altogether. At first I solved this by tripling all the polygons, but that messed up my mesh flow, so I traced the problem polygons to those that had been booleaned and had odd border shapes:
http://jezza.lwidof.net/cgtalk/badExport.jpg
This can be corrected by using the connect tool in LW9 to create normal polygon borders:
http://jezza.lwidof.net/cgtalk/goodExport.jpg

So if the mesh is clean, and these steps are followed, I get flawless .obj export and maya import every time.