PDA

View Full Version : MacOS on PC

kilvano
01-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Dont want buy windows vista??

The inquirer is asking why MacOS isnt available on the PC. Its coded to work on intel and im sure that it wouldnt take too much to make other gfx and mobo drivers work with it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37271

Not the first time this has been floated but i think their market share would go way up if you could buy the OS on its own instead of the highly priced hardware. From what ive read...they dont make as much from the computers as they do from things like iTunes and the iPod.

Discuss!

kilvano
01-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Some would argue that the revenue generated from the sale of MacOS would be greater than that made from the hardware.

I know i would be temped over Vista. Im sticking with XP for the next 6 months until :-

1 - LW on Linux (I can dream cant I?)
2 - Upgrade to Vista
3 - Throw my pc out of the window and live with one in nature never to touch an electronic device again...now where's my sundial?

jeremyhardin
01-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Apple's stance on software development is that...to develop great software, you have to develop great hardware to run it on.

So this would go against a fundamental principal of theirs.

Then again, you never know. :question:

kilvano
01-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Apple's stance on software development is that...to develop great software, you have to develop great hardware to run it on.

So this would go against a fundamental principal of theirs.

Then again, you never know. :question:

That was Steve Wozniaks pholosophy. im pretty sure Jobs is all about the money.

You read iWoz?

CMT
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Apple... Quality hardware? :D ROFL.

Ever own a Mac? I've had less problems on my Mac than I ever did on my PC.

And actually, after going to HP.com and doing a basic comparison between the two dual core 2.6 GHz machine and the Mac two dual core 2.66 GHz machine at Apple's site, the Mac was considerably cheaper. About $1200 cheaper. And a similar situation at Dell's site.

kilvano
01-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Agreed that in the USA and Canada they do offer better value for money but i the UK they are a complete rip.

EDIT - I know thats the UK gov fault not Apple. Taxes suck!

parm
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Agreed that in the USA and Canada they do offer better value for money but i the UK they are a complete rip.

EDIT - I know thats the UK gov fault not Apple. Taxes suck!

If you do decide to go Mac. I strongly recommend you check their online store, for highly discounted, ( 30%), refurbished models. I plan on getting a Macbook pro from there once Leopard is released.

I've had my Dual 2.5 Ghz machine for coming up to two years now. I'm very happy with it. Had no significant issues so far, and if I did, I'd know where to go and who to blame.

I work from home a lot. So, in a domestic setting it's whisper quietness is appreciated as is it's very elegant styling.

As for the OS. Once you've tried out Expose, there's no way that Windows is going to be an option again. :)

Btw. If you're not bothered about the discounted refurb models. In the UK at least, buying from the John Lewis partnership is a good option, as they give as standard, a two year guarantee on all electrical products. Including computers.

dweinkauf
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I've worked with both PC's and Mac's and prefer the open architecture and off the shelf components of the PC's. Even a dummy like me can swap out components and do software upgrades.

I've had a dual xeon for six years now without any hardware upgrades except for a new burner and an "additional" power supply. I run both SCSI and IDE Raids, VT3, LW9, and Mirage on it - all in one box. I haven't had any problems in all that time. When VT5 comes out, I'll be upgrading the mother board, putting in a new graphics card, RAM and a SATA raid - all for a whole lot less than buying a new machine.

What can I say, I'm cheap and can't take the headaches that come with dealing with proprietary hardware and software (though I did like the Amiga for its simplicity). I also use Mirage a lot and am glad I didn't go the Mac route. Just ask the owners of new Mac Intels how well Mirage works on their machines or if it works at all. Then ask Apple about the mess it created for the dongle and how much effort it's putting in to solving the problem.

Dave

Phil
01-29-2007, 11:10 AM
a two year guarantee on all electrical products. Including computers.

That should be standard in the EU. Vendors are obliged to provide a full warranty for 2 years, as far as I am aware.

zardoz
01-29-2007, 01:16 PM
yep that's right. in every eu country any electronic device has 2 years warranty even computer parts. If you buy a graphics board or ram, if it fails you have two years to replace it.

Glendalough
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
No, actually it's 3 years!

I've often wondered how apple can only give one year...very mysterious.

mattclary
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Apple=MicroSoft

They are the same, just long ago, Apple figured out a better way to control piracy, albeit at the cost of market penetration.

For years, MicroSoft has turned a blind eye to piracy because it provided deeper penetration (in the market) ;)

Now that the planet is firmly in it's grip, MS will begin to tighten the screws.

I personally have no plans to move to Vista. Does it even WORK (or continue to work) without a persistent internet connection?

Glendalough
01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 3 years, at least in the UK and Ireland...this can be looked up...

I've had experience sending back a big and heavy Monitor and they also paid for delivery of the replacement and the old one going back. It cost nothing except for 2 phone calls!

About the tax, you can claim it back if you turn a profit so things only cost more over here because they don't give the fair exchange price. Especially if the dollar slides it take years to update.

This bad and mean treatment by Apple of the general public in Europe (and elsewhere) is reflected in their market share which is twice in the U.S. compared to the rest of the world. It's like you are not dealing with the same company.

cholo
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
FWIW, this is my story. I've been a die hard pc user ever since the amiga went down the drain. I've dealt with macs at work, but they never really grew on me (one button mice, ppc processors, limited graphics cards,etc...). I even grew to hate macs when I became the default mac support expert at the office (since everyone else is computer illiterate). But then last year something happened... I was looking for a nice laptop to run speededit on, but couldn't find the right combination of features. Living in Mexico means your manufacturer options are very limited and the best value you can find here is... you guessed it! Dell. However, going the Dell route meant having to wait a month or more for the thing to arrive and having to choose a 17 incher, since 15 inch models had very lacking graphics options. And then I stumbled upon the macbook pro. 15 inch, very slim, 2.33 core 2 duo (with dell I had to settle for a 2.0, because 2.33 added too much to the total), 2 gb 667 ram, backlit keyboard (does any pc notebook manufacturer even offer this?), the BEST screen I've seen on a laptop (really bright and really good color, like a good desktop monitor), radeon x1600, dual layer dvd burner, etc... Now it wasn't the cheapest deal around, but it was the best configuration I could get for the money, even when compared to the Dell's (I would get a better video card with the dell, but would have to sacrifice other components and portability.) So I researched the whole bootcamp thing and went for it. First thing I did was install windows. Runs great. Nice hardware. I don't care if it has a picture of an apple on the cover or a big shiny dell circle, you can tell this is quality hardware. The slim form factor, the metal finish, the good keyboard, nice benchmark numbers, silent fans... you get the the picture. And then I figured since OSX was there, I could use it to surf the net without risking my XP side to the usual suspects (viruses, spyware, etc...). What I never expected was enjoying OSX as much as I have. I still spend most of my time on XP because that's where my weapons of choice live (namely speededit and lightwave), but every time I fire up OSX, I really like it! So, with the whole Vista fiasco looming on the horizon, I see myself upgrading OSX, but not windows. What does that mean? In the short term, not much, but in the long run, I can definitely see a lot of users who don't like the prospect of being stuck with Vista, considering doing as I did. In a few months, you won't be able to buy a new pc with anything other than vista as the OS.

Qslugs
01-29-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/01/22/parallels-to-let-you-run-os-x-on-a-non-mac-box/