PDA

View Full Version : Who uses TurboSquid?

Johnny
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
anyone here with experience using turbo squid?

any caveats, esp for mac users?

thanks!

J

gatz
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I used them several times. They are quite responsive. I queried whether a 3ds model was available in as a lwo (it wasn't listed) and they converted it.

I've also used http://www.3d02-ae.com. Which was nerve racking the first time since I didn't know anything about the company. Only that I really needed a model they had (which was reasonably priced BTW). I monitored my credit card for a day or so afterwards. But they are legit, their site can be slow though.

rg

mike_stening
01-29-2007, 02:37 AM
we have used them a number of times for work, had the same thing where models aren't always listed as LWO but you can still use the 3ds files, though sometimes they do shift out of alignment though setting them back up is no real problem but if they will conver them for you then take advantage of that as i didn;t know they did that.
never had any real problems with getting content from them.

Sarford
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I've also used them several times. No problems here.
The quality of the models and their texture work can vary though but I guess thats obvious.

One point of advise though, check all the online-3d-model-vendors you know for the model you want. Sometimes the same model is for sale at diferent vendors wich can save you tens of dollars.

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I've purchased TurboSquid models a few times and they have been fine.

Once, we had a model that was on a disk that crashed and the backup had gone missing. In a panic, we called them up and they replaced it immediately, no questions asked, even though the sale had been made nearly a year earlier.

The only problem was that some of the models were constructed by people using a foreign language, so we had to pick through every surface, layer and part, trying to figure out what went where. Not an easy task if the names are shorthand abbreviations in a foreign language. Not a problem, perhaps, to those who consider English to be a foreign language.

Bottom line, the mesh quality has been reasonably within what we expected given the poly count and the price.

p

ArneK
02-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I've used Turbosquid on a lot of different projects I've done at a studio I've freelanced. Things have have been varying in quality, especially cheaper stuff, and has sometimes taken some time to cleanup.

I have generally better experience with the little more expensive models. Those have mostly been put to work right away without much hazzle, and saved a lot of time. Check the reviews on the site as well.

And if you feel you've bought crap, you can complain to Turbosquid and you will get a refund. :)

And by the way, I'm a Mac user. Haven't had any problems due to that.

3dworks
02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
anyone here with experience using turbo squid?

any caveats, esp for mac users?

thanks!

J

had a good experience with them, especially the very few times that something went wrong (corrupted downloads, missing textures etc.) - their feedback was fat. competent and they resolved the issues. the quality of models is quite changing and sometimes the LW versions aren't optimized at all (probably only run through polytrans or such), so just be ready to tweak here and there...

markus