PDA

View Full Version : Australian User Groups?

eagleeyed
01-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Hello everyone, just asking if there are any Australian, preferably Victorian Lightwave user groups. Would love to join if there is. Otherwise if there isn't leave a post if you want and if there is enough interest we could start our own.

akademus
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
nope, I'm in Sydney and it seems LW is preety much dead over here...

jameswillmott
03-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Gold Coast, and there is only one other LW user here that I know of.

hijacker
03-29-2007, 07:26 PM
There is a lwOz group on Yahoo where a hole swag of guys hang out - try there.

cheers

Martyn

Canberra

adk
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey ... I'm in Melbourne :thumbsup:

akademus
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
There is a lwOz group on Yahoo where a hole swag of guys hang out - try there.

cheers

Martyn

Canberra

Are there any chicks!? :lol:

riki
03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah I've moved shop from Sydney to Japan. There's an OZ chapter in CG Talk, but doesn't see much action.

hijacker
03-29-2007, 11:10 PM
A couple of them, but you never know - some more might be lurking, there were a couple of chicks here in Canberra doing Lightwave, but I haven't heard of them lately.

cheers

martyn

eagleeyed
03-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Hi, sorry for taking forever to reply. Thought this post would never live.
At least we know one more person lives in Melbourne. If we get a few more we may be able to have a get together. Heres hoping.

nlightuk
04-03-2007, 03:11 AM
Gold Coast, and there is only one other LW user here that I know of.

Yeah, but I'll be immigrating to Brisbane later this year, and will be dropping you a line once I am settled, James. Hope that's OK? :beerchug:

Yamba
04-03-2007, 03:43 AM
I'm in Alice Springs, so no bodies here:help:

Yamba

jameswillmott
04-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah, but I'll be immigrating to Brisbane later this year, and will be dropping you a line once I am settled, James. Hope that's OK? :beerchug:

Absolutely, I hope you enjoy it over here!

jameswillmott
04-03-2007, 05:31 AM
I'm in Alice Springs, so no bodies here:help:

No bodies? There's nothing at all in Alice Springs. :D

sammael
04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Yo, im in Melbourne, drop me a pm if you work something out. Lightwave is on the up and up headed towards being a major player in the industry imo.

vsele
04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I moved from Italy in August the 2nd and I think that our software is not too much appreciated here...I hope that things going to be better....I still have a lot of problem trying to get some ArchViz job here in Adelaide:thumbsdow ...if someone of you guys need some freelance help let me know:)

sammael
04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I would say theres plenty of ppl out there, I know of 2 schools churning out users.

Yamba
04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
No bodies? There's nothing at all in Alice Springs. :D
Yeah and it's getting worse, I shot all the ABC Lateline material last year.

Oh and pardon the spelling.

sammael
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I visited Alice springs briefly, no offense but its a strange place. The city in the middle of nothingness. Couldnt wait to move on from there, probably didnt help that the locals were trying to kill eachother in the community behind the caravan park. Mind you its not nearly as strange as Cooper Pedy.
Nice scenery though at Alice even for the lack of any water.

mattlester
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi there. I'm the other Gold Coast guy James mentioned...I think.
I've recently trained up another guy who is working here with me fulltime on LW, and I know of 2 other fulltime LW'ers apart from you James here on the Coast also, and 1 or two other dabblers. That's 5 fulltimers here on the GC, and I think there may be a few more. We should be thinking about the Gold Coast LW get-together that I mentioned to you awhile ago. I'll contact you direct.

Cheers,
- Matt.L

vsele
04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Anyone is using LW in Adelaide? Please I feel abandoned in a sea of MAX users:eek:

nlightuk
04-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi there. I'm the other Gold Coast guy James mentioned...I think.
I've recently trained up another guy who is working here with me fulltime on LW, and I know of 2 other fulltime LW'ers apart from you James here on the Coast also, and 1 or two other dabblers. That's 5 fulltimers here on the GC, and I think there may be a few more. We should be thinking about the Gold Coast LW get-together that I mentioned to you awhile ago. I'll contact you direct.

Cheers,
- Matt.L

Yeah - get it up and running Matt...I'll be up for a few cold ones with you guys once I'm settled. Hopefully by the end of the year...

Cheers

Adam

t4d
04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.lightwaveoz.org/
and
http://www.dlf.org.au/

are the best way to OZ it up over here =)

eagleeyed
04-06-2007, 07:17 AM
I have had a look at LightwaveOZ but it never seems to be updated so I never visit it. Is there a section that is updated often?

t4d
04-06-2007, 06:11 PM
there's a LWOz Yahoo mainling list that WAS very active ( Link on the website ) Not so active anymore,. But everyone is still a member Just not many posts...

Lumeswell
04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
nope, I'm in Sydney and it seems LW is preety much dead over here...

Im in Sydney too.

Only aware of one over user over here (3Dkiwi) - so I guess that makes 3 of us?

eagleeyed
04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah - get it up and running Matt...I'll be up for a few cold ones with you guys once I'm settled. Hopefully by the end of the year...

Cheers

Adam
I will probably be at the GC nearing October, November so if you get something up and running I may have to join you.

scenicdave
04-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm in Sydney and going great with LightWave. There are others too and from time to time we get together but it's always tough to get everyone along on the same night. When there's a deadline approaching, working in 3d can be an all-consuming activity.

Always interested in meeting up though,
regards
Dave Tracey
Sydney

akademus
08-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Im in Sydney too.

Only aware of one over user over here (3Dkiwi) - so I guess that makes 3 of us?

Yup, and i'm sharing office with him :)

Hey Guys,
I'm in Sydney and going great with LightWave. There are others too and from time to time we get together but it's always tough to get everyone along on the same night. When there's a deadline approaching, working in 3d can be an all-consuming activity.

Always interested in meeting up though,
regards
Dave Tracey
Sydney

Hey Dave,
well, i came here more than a half year ago and still haven't found anyone working in LW, except these guys from my studio. If there is a gathering of any sort I'll be keen to meet some more wavers. I keep looking at London LW user group and feel sad for not having something like that here in SYD.

Cheers

3D Kiwi
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=akademus]Yup, and i'm sharing office with him :)

What??? Are you still here... Turns around, Hell you are, get some work done.....

There is the Kiwiwavers usergroup in New Zealand, Run by Kev3D i think is name on here is. Cant go to the meetings but there emails etc are intresting.

akademus
08-26-2007, 08:45 PM
What??? Are you still here... Turns around, Hell you are, get some work done.....

Yeah. I also turned around. Hell, you're still ugly :)

3D Kiwi
08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah. I also turned around. Hell, you're still ugly :)

Thats not what your mother said last night!!!

akademus
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Dude, keep it civilized. Otherwise you'll experience more blue balls in your coffee mug :)

vsele
08-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Hi guys, I'm here in Adelaide since August 2006 and I have serious problem in getting some Arch-vis work...have you got some advice for me or know personally some people that can help me ? I'm pretty good with LW and i use also LW cad 2.5 and Kray renderer...you can download my Showreel at:http://www.3dlvisualisation.com.au/showreel002.avi ...
If you have any suggestion on how to get some clients as freelancer or a permanent job than send me a message...:)

meshpig
08-27-2007, 03:06 AM
A couple of them, but you never know - some more might be lurking, there were a couple of chicks here in Canberra doing Lightwave, but I haven't heard of them lately.

cheers

martyn

Jeez, stay away from the chicks in Canberra I don't care if they are doin' LW from dawn 'til dusk...

M:)

meshpig
08-27-2007, 04:19 AM
There are lots of people using LW in Sydney from my experience, though not necessarily the types interested in joining a user group.

I'm not sure either what they are, I mean I'm not into getting pissed and talking shop either.

I would suggest you try UTS (University of Technology Sydney). I recall from years ago their White Bay canpus was full of the latest tech.

Otherwise, you never know your luck in the "big city"?

M

meshpig
08-27-2007, 04:32 AM
Jeez, stay away from the chicks in Canberra I don't care if they are doin' LW from dawn 'til dusk...

Oops!; cough cough... I really meant, stay away from Canberra altogether except in Autumn. Beautiful at that time as it is, it's always a race to get the hellout of there.

m

ndrangesh
08-27-2007, 07:00 AM
hi when did chicks learn to use lightwave
why freak out about chicks
and why stay away from canberra
may be most right brained guys stay away from chicks

meshpig
08-27-2007, 07:42 AM
hi when did chicks learn to use lightwave
why freak out about chicks
and why stay away from canberra
may be most right brained guys stay away from chicks

No, it's actually just a bit of a tawdry bone of contention in this country.

I'm taking the **** as it were. Canberra is a very awkward place if you aren't in the know. And even if you are, it's just the intrigues of the Diplomatic service and Capital P Politics.

Otherwise you can't even buy a beer in pub... there aren't any.

ndrangesh
08-28-2007, 02:50 AM
meshpig explain me a little about"No, it's actually just a bit of a tawdry bone of contention in this country.

I'm taking the **** as it were. Canberra is a very awkward place if you aren't in the know. And even if you are, it's just the intrigues of the Diplomatic service and Capital P Politics."
iam not good at social studies so please explain

but i know science

you have been to places with what kind of people

meshpig
08-28-2007, 05:16 AM
meshpig explain me a little about"No, it's actually just a bit of a tawdry bone of contention in this country.

I'm taking the **** as it were. Canberra is a very awkward place if you aren't in the know. And even if you are, it's just the intrigues of the Diplomatic service and Capital P Politics."
iam not good at social studies so please explain

but i know science

you have been to places with what kind of people

ndrangesh

Sure no problem ... but I haven't been to India for a very long time.

Canberra is a Government town, similar in effect to say Washingto D.C. et al (and others) where it's not the assumed or natural Capital of the Country from a commercial or many other perspectives.

In a Federal system, that's pretty usual but presently, the political balance here is such that the Federal government is of a different persuasion than all the States, as it were which divide the Nation into 7 semi autonomous regions, or "states".

The joke is that there is a Federal election looming and hey I don't want to bore you with the details but "Canberra" is another way of saying ( a euphemism) Centralised Government; which the encumbents are big on for obvious reasons.

Anyway, yes Canberra is an interesting place if you can hook into the loop because so many people from all over the world go there for politics and diplomacy. The same applies to any city obviously.

-Taking the ****; just yanking the chain, being an urban snob maybe?

ivanze
08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
To adk: Check your Private Messages, please.

kevman3d
09-01-2007, 05:53 PM
lol! Yup, you guys are all welcome to pop over the Tassy once a month to check out the Kiwavers meetings each month. (Heck, I have a Maya guy drive 2 hours for a 3 hour meeting, you guys could fly for 3 hours I'm sure!)

Started doing it in 1997 (the first meeting in fact was in August 1997!). That's 10 years now. I gotta find a new hobby... :D

3D Kiwi - Great to see you're still busy and using LW! :thumbsup:

Lumeswell
09-03-2007, 02:18 AM
lol! Yup, you guys are all welcome to pop over the Tassy once a month to check out the Kiwavers meetings each month. (Heck, I have a Maya guy drive 2 hours for a 3 hour meeting, you guys could fly for 3 hours I'm sure!)

Started doing it in 1997 (the first meeting in fact was in August 1997!). That's 10 years now. I gotta find a new hobby... :D

Might be the only way to get a meeting for us Aus users :(

Congrats on going for 10 years.

Vujaka
09-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Where can one look for 3d type work in Australia?

sammael
09-04-2007, 06:34 AM

If your looking for lightwave work, there is none.

vsele
09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
If your looking for lightwave work, there is none. I would suggest learning either Max, Maya or XSI.

Why people is so ignorant? Why they can't accept the fact that LW has possibilities to communicate with others 3D softwares? We can get 3DS , OBJ and with LWCAD also DXF....What's the difference in working with LW instead of Max or Maya? This is so unfair ....:thumbsdow

PS. I'm not referring to you naturally..:)

hijacker
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
There is heaps of work here in Australia - just change the way you look for it. Ive done jobs for Boeing Australia, Raytheon, QDS, the RAAF and our own company. Sitting around waiting for work isn't the way to go - take ideas to the big companies - I'm working on one for the Australian War Memorial at the moment. I have friends here who have done jobs for the National Museum of Australia, Questacon and local TV. There is also a guy doing Archi stuff here in LW.

People are interested in 3D and most don't care what package you use - YOU just need to get out and get in their faces and show them what you cvan offer, how it can have an impact, how it can grow there business or how it can put across a concept/message.

It's up to you as an individual, not the software to get you work.

cheers

Martyn

Vujaka
09-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Well I am looking for work (3d and website design) in Australia. If I can get with Lightwave skills, great!

jameswillmott
09-05-2007, 12:30 AM
None of my clients care in the slightest how I get the job done, as long as they are happy with it (and they usually are). I happily work hand in hand with users of Maya, 3D Studio, C4D, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, and they don't care what software I use either.

vsele
09-05-2007, 02:05 AM
I tried to get some clients in the last year without results....I've sent my DVD with my showreel to all Architects Studios and Interior Designers in Adelaide and anyone seems interested in my work....and it's not about the quality my work....(as you can see above)...So what really is the problem?...At the moment I really don't know....

sammael
09-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Ok let me re-phrase that, unless you want to work freelance or start your own studio there is NO Lightwave work available in Australia. It's sad but true, there used to be but not any more. Unfortunaely at this stage in time if you want to work for any sort of decent sized studio your better off learning other software, im sure theres the exception where the employer might be willing to buy a LW seat for a talented artist but still LW use is in rapid decline here, theres no two ways about it.

akademus
09-05-2007, 05:26 AM
So, how come I moved from Europe to Oz with all expenses payed just to work in Lightwave. They actually couldn't find anyone here good enough and experienced enough in LW, so they had to import an artist.

I think that's an overstatement. LW is one of the major softwares and it's still used in production. No questions about that.

sammael
09-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Well possibly an overstatement, im glad to know theres at least one studio in Sydney because theres none in Melbourne, there was a couple but when I enquired about work one told me that they were now using Max and the other XSI. So where do you work anyway?

Vujaka
09-05-2007, 08:15 AM
akademus

How did you manage to get to Aus by having your own Biz? I am looking to move there but from what I understood, I need to get some form of income to be considered.

vsele
09-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Ok let me re-phrase that, unless you want to work freelance or start your own studio there is NO Lightwave work available in Australia. It's sad but true, there used to be but not any more. .

I'm trying to work as a freelancer having a Studio at home.. I have my ABN and my Business Name registered....so there is something else that doesn't work.....but what?:thumbsdow

3D Kiwi
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
So, how come I moved from Europe to Oz with all expenses payed just to work in Lightwave. They actually couldn't find anyone here good enough and experienced enough in LW, so they had to import an artist.

I think that's an overstatement. LW is one of the major softwares and it's still used in production. No questions about that.

akademus is dead right (his real name is Mary by the way). We had bugger all people apply for the job from Aussie and the ones that did wernt good enough. akademus beat them hands down for talant etc. They even got me from New Zealand and this is my first job in 3D, The main reason i got the job was because i was keen to learn. They couldnt find any talanted LW guys here in Aussie. (I do have some talant, I am a mean Box maker.) But as far as Lightwave being used in production.. It is but it is dissaparing fast.

there is a job mailing list here called DLF, I started keeping the emails for 3d jobs just to see some numbers. Over about two months there were 24 jobs for Maya, 18 for Max, 1 for XSI and 1 for lightwave. Now i know of two other compaines that are looking for XSI artists but I will be buggered if i can find any other Lightwave houses. If you want to work in Aussie Max or Maya is your friend.

Untill Newtek fix Lightwave and there marketing it will only get worse.

skanky
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Here's my take, based on a number of years in Sydney - as self employed, freelancing, working for a company, and setting up a company.

For own business / freelancing :
There is always work around but it's knowing where to look. Forget about sending out reels and stuff. Go and visit places and have a chat - take your reel. An unsolicited reel sent in will probably get thrown out, people think of it as spam. Also, it's far more about who you know than what you know, by that I mean getting known so people know who to contact when they have work. Go to any industry events you can for the industries you're interested in working with - take HEAPS of business cards, hand them out to everyone. Get to know the people who run small video editing facilities - they're often a good contact.

As an employee :
Your options here are limited. The biggest Lightwave employer over here is probably IGT (slot manufacturer). There are few other small places, but Australia has nowhere near the Lightwave use of the US - I think it's because Newtek never released the Toaster in PAL. Most people who want a full time job go for places like Animal Logic, and then they're out of Lightwave.... If you watch Happy Feet, you'll see a number of (ex) Lightwave animators in the credits.

The problem as an employer over here is that the talent pool is very shallow. The people who have the skills aren't looking for work - they are all very busy. I have tried to hire Lightwave animators a heap of times, and ended up hiring Max and Maya guys as they were the only people who sent in decent reels. It's a hard decision as an employer.

I'm in the early stages now of setting up another studio now, and haven't decided what software to go with yet. I'd happily stick with Lightwave if the people were available, but I know that it will be extremely hard to find people that I don't have to train up.

RedBull
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Join the DLF mailing list. (Digital Labourers Federation) This has two lists, one contains Job Listings Australia/Worldwide... It's a useful resource just for this.
There used to be the LWOZ website, but Skanky canned that one i think...

skanky
09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I canned it due to lack of interest. Maintaining it just wasn't worth my time since no-one was using it... The mailing list is still there though:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lwOz/

3D Kiwi
09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
I heard the IGT changed to Maya, Is that correct?

skanky
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
First I've heard of it. They may change over, but if you've got a studio running a certain software, with multiple years invested in that software, it's unlikely they'd swap overnight. If they have Maya I'd guess it's running side by side, for a few years anyway.

RedBull
09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I heard the IGT changed to Maya, Is that correct?

I noticed a job posting for IGT NV Headquaters only last month,

"Multimedia Game Developer
International Game Technology (IGT)
Reno, Nevada - United States

Platforms: Prototype, Tools / Utilites
Project: Game Production Card/Casino,
Various Genres Software Utilized: .NET, MS Office, Not Applicable, MS Outlook, Windows, C#, C++, Director, LightWave, Lingo, Java, Lingo, Photoshop, VC++

Bonus Eligibility: Yes
Relocation: Yes
Start Date: Immediately
Required Work Auth.: United States

No mention of Maya. For there particular work i would see LW as the more useful program personally.

skanky
09-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, that post doesn't really mean much to Australia though. IGT in the US, and IGT in Australia, are different operations. Australian IGT makes Australian games, and vice versa. Crossover of assets is pretty rare.

righteous
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Brisbane LW user here. :)

akademus
09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
So, we have like 8-10 LW users in Oz :) awesome

eagleeyed
09-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Well I am one, in Vic, however I dont have much to say so I keep my big trap shut. So I think that makes in 9-11 LW Users :).

brian.coates
09-06-2007, 02:13 AM
You can bump that number up to 12.

skanky
09-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Two things...

1) Is Tasmania still part of Australia? I thought you guys had a referendum after LOTR and decided to join NZ?

2) Does Jonny still count as an Aussie? And what about Richard Brak?

brian.coates
09-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Is Tasmania still part of Australia? I thought you guys had a referendum after LOTR and decided to join NZ?
At the moment I'm have a personal referendum about that very issue, assuming the work situation here doesn't change soon. Opportunities on the other side of the Tasman seem to be a lot more promising.

RedBull
09-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Two things...

2) Does Jonny still count as an Aussie? And what about Richard Brak?

Well we don't count XSI converts do we? So Seon, Jonny and Pete are out.....
Actually Jonny's looking after his child and playing more music than before.

Dave Tracey is still around, and I believe Evan has moved to the darkside, that is Modo.. And well Phil doesn't frequent forums, and he never counted anyway.. :)

But there's still a couple...

eagleeyed
09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
I tell you what would be the next best thing for us Aussies, have a SkypeCast one night, at least we will be able to hear each other.

Just a suggestion. My Skype account is connected to this account if you want to add me. If you want MSN, PM me.

nlightuk
09-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Brisbane LW user here. :)

And another arriving in a fortnight...does that make me lucky number 13 or did I miss the boat? Do't say there's more than 15 of us in Aus?!! :D

Seems like there may be at least 4 of us in the Brisvegas area, so maybe a Gold Coast/Brissy get together once a month or so wouldn't be such a bad idea, would it?

Kuzey
09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm an ex Aussie waver from Melbourne...do I count :D

edit: ahhhh...I still haven't changed my location detail.

Kuzey

akademus
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, you are ex Aussie, not ex waver that's a difference!

csoars
09-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Im in Melbourne but only use the program for play...

Kuzey
09-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Well, you are ex Aussie, not ex waver that's a difference!

I can't even dream of being an ex waver....the world would just stop existing :)

Kuzey

righteous
09-17-2007, 04:13 AM
And another arriving in a fortnight...does that make me lucky number 13 or did I miss the boat? Do't say there's more than 15 of us in Aus?!! :D

Seems like there may be at least 4 of us in the Brisvegas area, so maybe a Gold Coast/Brissy get together once a month or so wouldn't be such a bad idea, would it?

I would certainly appreciate sitting down with someone and sharing/exchanging knowledge. I have been using LW for a while now but still feel like I have only scratched the surface. Would be super keen for someone to show me some stuff on character animation. Online tutorials have started to give me the willys lately.

akademus
09-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I would certainly appreciate sitting down with someone and sharing/exchanging knowledge. I have been using LW for a while now but still feel like I have only scratched the surface. Would be super keen for someone to show me some stuff on character animation. Online tutorials have started to give me the willys lately.

If you come to syd just PM me, i'll be glad to meet someone else in here using LW. As for LW character animation, spit 100$ on tim albee's character animation book, you'll see the light. Trust me on that!

righteous
09-17-2007, 04:40 AM
If you come to syd just PM me, i'll be glad to meet someone else in here using LW. As for LW character animation, spit 100$ on tim albee's character animation book, you'll see the light. Trust me on that!

Heading down to Sydney Next week actually :). Unfortunately time is not a friend on that trip. I have Tims essentials book for 8.5 but need to purchase the character animation one. Can you recommend anywhere to purchase it in Syd? Or should I just go through amazon or some such thing? I have a little project on the go at the moment which I would have loved to have an understanding of IK booster for. I have improvised though and come up with a solution. But I know there is a better way to do what I am doing :)

akademus
09-17-2007, 04:51 AM
You can always grab it in Borders. They usually have it. But it's 100$ there, as there is US price on it which says 45 USD :) Robbery! But it's still one hell of the book. That's sure.

akademus
09-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Well, heck if there is something happening in Brisbane count me in. I'll come from Sydney up there for a user group.

Cheers

NTICED
09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I would just like to direct any Melbournite lightwavers that might be looking for something to do with themselves HERE (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74215)