PDA

View Full Version : Copyright laws

DiedonD
01-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Hello everyone. As the scenes are bubling up slowly, but as long as Im alive, surely, issues like copyrights get to my attention.

For instance I make this DVD, and in the end of it, my name is written as the movie creator. And the crew is mentioned, however small it may be, and the such. Now... Does that automatically applies all copyright laws on the CD? Like no copys are allowed without my consent, or do I have to apply to an institution so that the copy is first recognized by the author, so that after that there are no misunderstandings at whose movie is it to begin with.

Cause you know, the movie can be edited, and the names in the end can be removed and other false names be put it in the end. And the fasificator can then sell the DVD as its owns, and appart from battle of words that may rise between people that have seen me do it, and people that claim that have seen him do the movie, In court, I dont see any other ways of the movie beeing known to be mine and noone elses.

1) So if copyrights are automatically applied, how does the public know for sure that its mine, and copyrights are applied to it automatically, thus they shouldnt copy it

2) If there is an institution that kinda registers who is the author of what movie, then where is it? What would be necessary to apply? And would not being a civilian of that country (Im a Kosovar albanian) work against me on such a process?

Thanks

Yamba
01-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi diedond,

Different countries approach copyright issues slightly differently, here is how it is applied in Australia:http://www.copyright.com.au/ownership.htm

Although the system works well I've certainly had to threaten to sue the crap out of people using material I've created for documentaries and other usage.

Everything I send out is labelled :
2007 Desert Vision Productions, All Rights Reserved.

And how do you catch them out, well usually luck and knowing who has had access to your material.

Good Luck
Yamba

JamesCurtis
01-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, almost anything posted on the web can be copied [even stuff embedded in Flash or other formats] with software or other means. I had this happen with a centaur image I created about 8 years ago. I found it one day on someones site. I didn't follow up on it because I was just flattered that someone liked it enough to have it in thier collection of Centaur images. I had done it for fun anyway at the time.

Yeah, anything important should be labeled clearly that it's Copyrighted. but protection is not guarranteed!!

Giacomo99
01-27-2007, 09:59 AM
At least in the USA, any original work you produce is copyrighted. You don't need to put a credit line on your work to receive the benefits of copyright protection.

Silkrooster
01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Whenever you produce anything and you want to prove that you are the true owner, send a copy of your dvd, or whatever to yourself via certified mail. Leave the package unopened. This has a date on it to prove that you were first to create it.
Silk