PDA

View Full Version : screamernet on mac pro

juli51
01-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Dear friends, I own a Mac pro quad intel based,... and I'm looking forward to buy a new one to make a renderfarm,... and before I read all the manuals
and threads posted here wich are quie dense,...... could somebody tell me jus fast if there is possible to use screamernet,. (Or a similar program),. to use both macs pros in a renderfarm successfully,... joined with a ethernet cable?.

thanks a lot for somebody who could help

avkills
02-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Yup. I'd suggest looking at one of the Mac based render node controllers though.

You could actually run 3 nodes (save one for controlling; technically you could run 4) on your main machine and 4 on the MacPro, although it may just be easier to use one MacPro as a render machine on its own.

-mark

mlinde
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
You can get a lot of bang for the MacPro buck, but it may not be your most cost-effective solution. Base MacPro is a quad proc, so you get up to 4 nodes per MacPro, with a limited amount of RAM. For a similar price, you can get 3 or 4 Mac Minis, which will get you 6 (or 8) render nodes. You may want to compare render times on a mini vs. the MacPro, and see what the differential is. If the MacPro renders more than 30% faster per CPU (i.e. 1 min. per frame on the Mini >= 45 sec. per frame on the Pro), it's the best price. If the per frame difference is smaller, you get more processors for less money with a mini farm.