PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet -Is this working properly?

Glendalough
01-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Help Folks!

Just had quite an experience buying a Wacom Graphire4 tablet which I will try not to go into only I have reason to wonder if it is working properly.

It is the smallest and humblest of Wacoms so I know the pressure sensitivity is not anywhere near as good as the higher end models.

Have posted an image with it's tonal range.

Only when I set the "tip feel" to the most soft can I get a line as black as the mouse draws. But at this setting it is very hard to get lighter lines.

Putting the "tip feel" in a more middle position, a greater range of tones is available but as I said it doesn't go as black as the mouse.

Is this normal behavior?

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2007, 08:26 AM
And this is pressing as hard as you can? I've found you can/need to exert quite a bit of pressure to get it to go to the fullest.
Test it out in the Wacom settings; there should be a widget in there for this purpose.

Glendalough
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM
And this is pressing as hard as you can? I've found you can/need to exert quite a bit of pressure to get it to go to the fullest.
Test it out in the Wacom settings; there should be a widget in there for this purpose.

Thanks for the reply.

I've gone through all the settings and the manual...

Yeah, i'm pressing as hard as I can within reason, much harder than with an ordinary pencil....the lines in the image are the full gamut of tones, can't get anything lighter than the lightest...the darkest is almost as dark as the mouse.

This is the ordinary mouse, not the Wacom one.

(which by the way, doesn't come with the Euro "Classic" version available over here, though we're charged a bit more -before tax)

Do you think it's defective or is this normal for this quality tablet?

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Hmm, I think it may be normal. Sounds like the same feel I have with my laptop tablet. What program are you testing it with? It may be that you have settings in that program, too, that is giving you such results.
Don't be mislead, though, it's still a high-quality tablet. Love my wacoms.

Glendalough
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Hmm, I think it may be normal. Sounds like the same feel I have with my laptop tablet. What program are you testing it with? It may be that you have settings in that program, too, that is giving you such results.
Don't be mislead, though, it's still a high-quality tablet. Love my wacoms.

Actually I was testing it on a friend's edition of Alias Sketchpad....the program that came with it, Corel essentials didn't seem to be too high end, though I could be totally wrong and prejudiced about this, it was late at night....

I suppose it probably is okay, as you say, just over-reacting.

At present just want to use it for modeling in Lightwave and don't need the pressure sensitive part of it. But would like to eventually use it (pressure sensitive) for modeling in ZBrush or Mudbox when I work out which to get...

Thanks again for the help!

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Well,
I've yet to hit any problems with ZBrush in this regard. For that matter, it has lots of options to turn up or down the strength of your brush; the sensitivity available to you is astounding.

I can't use a mouse any more. I can model in LW quite quickly, I think, with my stylus. Wouldn't give it up for anything. Use it, it will become much more natural to you.

And code is code; be careful about becoming a software snob. ;) A 'sophisticated' piece of software won't change your abilities. ;) Although, a primitive program with great abilities applied can get the job done and then some. Take care.

Glendalough
01-26-2007, 11:22 AM
About Zbrush and Mudbox they really pose a dilemma.

Had a go at Zbrush about a year ago, made a bit of progress and then got completely lost. Everyone complains about the interface but I found it so unusual, almost wacky that I had to admire it.

Mudbox has this 3D viewport which is pretty amazing, and is very simple, application specific -just modeling. The downside is it is really ****ed expensive!

I suppose if one had the money, that one could buy both, but then again, how many complex programs (say compared to Illustrator or Photoshop) can you learn to use fluently?

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Great points.

I haven't bothered with MudBox because I felt the same as you've stated: it's so wacky that it's to be admired. :lol: That and the fact I got it at SIGGRAPH while salivating over the supposed 2.5 upgrade " ' *Soon to come* ' ". I'm sure it'll be worth it when it gets here...:stumped:

Truly, you have to get what feels right and the price often has something to do with that.

gerry_g
01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the the local parameters within Photoshop itself will override any pen settings you have applied, 'flow' in particular will limit opacity similar to opacity itself, see pic for example where opacity is set to max but flow is set to lesser values. Also I still find Painter to have both a better brush response and a greater range of controls

realtime
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Glendalough...
I believe I have the same tablet as you do.There are 256 presure levels but the range (darkest to lightest) never seems to "fit" within the app.s range configuation. I've used Photoshop, Painter, Zbrush, SharpConstruct all don't have the full range. Thankfully we don't have that problem with Modeler.