PDA

View Full Version : Getting HDRI Lighting Effects - fast!

Surrealist.
01-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Check out this tutorial:

http://www.spinquad.com/tutorial/story/2&page=1

Andyjaggy
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
That's old news, but I am sure there are some people who haven't seen it. I found that it was still very slow, but faster then trying to get real hdri lighting since you have to crank up the aa and quality to insane levels in lightwave for it to not look like crap.

toby
01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
If you take into account the fact that you need high aa for high quality anyway, soft shadows from spinning lights are *free*.

Enhanced Medium aa is not high quality for animations with motion blur, and High is frequently not enough either. I'm working on a Lightwave/spinning light cg feature right now, and some of the shots look GREAT, and without area lights, not to mention radiosity.

ingo
01-26-2007, 01:50 AM
"........Both the full-on HDRI/Radiosity and Translight methods have their strong and weak points. The important thing to do is, before production starts, evaluate both methods in a variety of situations and decide what will best suit your needs, (on a shot-by-shot basis if necessary,) bearing in mind not just render-time, but re-render time as well."

Thats the best statement Tim made in his tutorial. The more objects you have in the scene the slower spinning lights get, and backdrop raydiosity gets faster. For my architectural scenes backdrop raydiosity is in most cases 2-5 times faster than a spinning lights dome.

Surrealist.
01-26-2007, 11:07 AM

http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/guestbook/guestbook.php

I and my Pack left Alaska this spring and I am now living in Vancouver, and working as the character animation department for Battlestar Galactica. And while there is much work to be done in the replacing of an entire animation studio with one person, the Rigs, tools and techniques developed on and for Kaze have proven themselves time and time again, yielding higher quality character animation at speeds those here in the studio could hardly believe. (My immediate supervisor/liaison started calling me “The Miracle Worker” after my second week on the show.)

I can't even begin to describe how rewarding it is to have the techniques illustrated in CGI Filmmaking and my Character Animation series validated when moved fully into a high-pressure, production environment that strives for feature-film quality visual effects and animation, on a television-production time schedule.

(One of the time-savers is a technique developed originally for Kaze that reduces HDRI-Dome style Radiosity render-times by a factor of 2,000% -- read the upcoming tutorial on www.CGFocus.com.)

Those of you who like the Cylon Centurions, (on Battlestar Galactica,) are in for a bit of a treat in this Friday's, (15.Dec 2006,) episode. I think everyone at the Vancouver in-house VFX office agrees that it's the best Centurion shot to date.

Everyone really pulled their weight, compositing produced the best print I've seen on the centurions yet, and in only 16 hours!

Rendering with the "Translight" method, (see tutorial link from LoupGuru.com,) gave incredible results that only took one day to render the entire 230 frame (24fps) animation.

toby
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
The more objects you have in the scene the slower spinning lights get, and backdrop raydiosity gets faster. For my architectural scenes backdrop raydiosity is in most cases 2-5 times faster than a spinning lights dome.
Sure, but you're not talking about animation, you're rendering faster by *not* having to use high/extreme aa or motion blur, right? BG Radiosity is great for stills, looks better too, but when you have to render 1800 frames just to get 1 minute of video, and have to use high/extreme for motion blur anyway...

toby
01-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not just talikng about dome-lights btw, you can do a conventional light setup and then spin 'em all for added realism. And I imagine you mean raytracing hundreds of trees/millions of polygons, with transparency, yea that'd bog it down badly.

ingo
01-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Eeek, now my head is spinning. ;) Actually i don't care about extreme or whatever aa since i use FPrime which produces a nice motion blur.