PDA

View Full Version : Dongle problems-- is this a dongle issue?

Crocodilian
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I'd be grateful for any suggestions here. I'm using a Rainbow Duo USB dongle, WinXP(32), dual Xenon, 2 Gig machine.

Problem is slow start or no start when using dongle:

slow start Lightwave 9: can take a few minutes to start, but then runs fine
no start Lightwave 9.2 Beta: just seems to hang

Both 9 and 9.2 start instantly (into Discovery mode) when dongle is removed.

This leads me to think its a dongle issue. It _seems_ to work a little better with the older dongle drivers, but I can't be sure. Lightwave 8.5 worked perfectly with this hardware config.

Firewall and network: I use MS One Care, and its a wired network. Just to see if this was having some impact, I disconnected from the network and turned off the firewall, to see if that made any difference-- it didn't

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Crocodilian
01-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I should add-- this wouldn't be a problem with the dongle itself-- I moved the dongle over to my Mac and LW 8.2 launched immediately, so its "known good".

The problem seems to be some aspect of Windows drivers/Lightwave/Dongle interaction . . .

BeeVee
01-26-2007, 03:45 AM
The beta version needs 7.3.1 of the sentinel drivers, and if you are experiencing slow starts it is one thing and one thing only - firewall. You need to make sure that Layout, Hub and Modeler are all given full permission, even to act as servers if they ask for it. It is purely for communication between the three programs, they never go on the Internet. For proof, try turning off your firewall entirely and then running LightWave (once you've made sure you are running new sentinel drivers).

B

blondimage
01-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi Ben

Sent you an email, but just in case...

The download Sentinel driver is only version 7.1.1

Clinty

BeeVee
01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Go here (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp) and click on Sentinel SuperPro.

B

blondimage
01-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Cheers Ben, Downloading now.

Crocodilian
01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
The beta version needs 7.3.1 of the sentinel drivers, and if you are experiencing slow starts it is one thing and one thing only - firewall. You need to make sure that Layout, Hub and Modeler are all given full permission, even to act as servers if they ask for it. It is purely for communication between the three programs, they never go on the Internet. For proof, try turning off your firewall entirely and then running LightWave (once you've made sure you are running new sentinel drivers).

B

As I noted in my original posting, I've tried this. I disconnected from the network, turned off the firewall. I also ran the Sentinel "clean up" tool-- still very slow or no boot.

And again -- the same configuration booted to 8.5 just fine. Also, the Worley plugins, which check the dongle, load immediately.

Something else is going on . . .

DonAVP
01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Based upon what you have said. It is more likely a windows issue not the dongle. Or it could be a hardware issue. I know I am not being much help. Here is a simple thought. Put the dongle in a different port if you have not done so already

Don