PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elements for Textures

eagleeyed
01-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Hi, I am thinking of buying a double pack of Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 and Premiere Elements 3. I am wondering if Photoshop elements is any good for custom textures or should I look at Corel Paint Shop Pro XI.

Thanks In Advance.

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Can anyone tell me if PSE has opacity/flow support for graphics tablets? I know it does size, but in the most recent version I have (PSE 2) it didn't support opacity except with certain brushes.

wavk
01-24-2007, 07:12 AM
www.kanzelsberger.com

not to push or anything :)
support this guy and we wont need ps hopefully :)

mlon

eagleeyed
01-24-2007, 07:24 AM
www.kanzelsberger.com

mlon

Thanks for the link, I was beginning to think people were ignoring me.

starbase1
01-24-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm a couple of versions off current in both packages, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

They did a pretty good job in choosing where to place the split between the pro and lite versions of photoshop in my view, so unless you need colour separation type features, or in general work directly with printers, you will probably find PSE every bit as useful as the full package.

On the Premiere Elements I am back on V1 though seriously considering upgrading. I feel that V1 is not very easy or pleasant to use compared with other video software near the same price point (such as uLead). However it produces visibly better DVD encoding (which counts for a lot), and imports image sequences (essential for us wavers!) I understand that the new V3 hads done a serious overhaul of the interface, which may help a lot.

I am still looking for soim,ething at an amateur price level that will do decent menuing though.

Nick

eagleeyed
01-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks Nick, For an extra 40 bucks Photoshop Elements looks worth it so by the looks of it I will buy.

Thanks For The Info, you have been a great help.

I am downloading the file from the website wavk gave and will give that a go first.

dwburman
01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm stuck in PS Elements 3 but I'm used to full on Photoshop at work. It seems to do okay for most of what I need it for, but I do run into limitations sometimes. The lack of layer masking capabilities and channel pallette are deal breakers for me. I'll make a concerted effort to get PS-CS3 when it comes out.

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Pixel is a bit buggy, can't choose colours etc... I'll wait till it's a bit more stable...

tischbein3
01-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Can anyone tell me if PSE has opacity/flow support for graphics tablets? I know it does size, but in the most recent version I have (PSE 2) it didn't support opacity except with certain brushes.

Yes, for airbush. (pse3 here btw)

Biggest problem: since version 3, they scaled the color swatch entries up to 19x19 pixels (minimum size).

This kills quite the workflow, so I really recommend you to download demo and check it yourself.

Nicolas Jordan
01-24-2007, 08:16 AM
www.kanzelsberger.com

mlon

It's nice to see people out there working on some nice alternatives to the Adobe Monopoly;). Thanks for the link. I also wanted to mention that Corel Paint Shop Pro is another much cheaper alternative to Photoshop doing probably 80 - 90% of everything Photoshop can do. The only draw back is that Paint Shop Pro is not available for Mac.

T-Light
01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I run elements 2 on the laptop, for LW textures, aka, general painting, layering etc it works as well as the full PS. So well infact, I've never thought of putting PS on this machine.

Ran into a problem with printing last year though, (no cymk support). Had to transfer the renders to the main machine.

As dfx was given away with LW 8, It handles all kinds of multiple image effects, so I didn't need PS's macro abilities for LW work anymore.

Elements 2 does for me 99% of the time :)