PDA

View Full Version : CG Society CGWiki

Philbert
01-23-2007, 09:32 PM
If you haven't seen this Wiki, have a look. First look at the Lightwave page. Next have a look at the Max or Maya pages, or any of the other software pages for that matter.
http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portal:3D_Software

As you can see Lightwave barely gets a couple of paragraphs, while the others practically have a whole website to themselves. I'm not the best writer in the world, nor do I know much about wiki editing, but I'd really love to see some people who're better at it really give LW a good description and info like the others have. Like them or not, CG Society is a very big site and if people were to read that in comparison to the others they'd definitely think LW was the worst of the programs and that nobody uses it.

oDDity
01-24-2007, 05:36 AM
It's only reflecting the reality of user preferences there.
Take a look at the application specific forums there, as I type this, max and maya have about 60 people viewing each, Lightwave has 16, which is only 5 more than the Blender forum above it.

kilvano
01-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Lightwave users are split 50:50 on the seperate modeller are we?

From what Ive seen, most people love the two apart but want more options within Layout for editing models.

Titus
01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
If you haven't seen this Wiki, have a look. First look at the Lightwave page. Next have a look at the Max or Maya pages, or any of the other software pages for that matter.
http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portal:3D_Software

Don't worry, a wiki is not a competition. We still have the original LW entry at the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightwave), and of course wikicg (http://www.wikicg.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

Dave Jerrard
01-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Could it have something to do with the abusive treatment that LW users frequently recieve from the moderators on CGsociety? My wife used to live on those forums a couple years back, but now rarely ever ventures there. I think I might have looked at something there about twice in the past year or so. Not since I learned that you NEVER say that LightWave can do something (even if you HAVE done it) when someone there says it can't.

He Who Has Far Better Things To Do Than Deal With A Circle Gerk.

Limbus
01-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Could it have something to do with the abusive treatment that LW users frequently recieve from the moderators on CGsociety?

Right! There are too many Nazi users over there that jump on alot of LW thread just to post how you could do it in their favourite app. Its really childish and just shows their inferiority complex. That some of them are even moderators there does not mak it better on bit.

Florian

Titus
01-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Could it have something to do with the abusive treatment that LW users frequently recieve from the moderators on CGsociety?

I really doubt it. It has to be related to the fact that less people is contributing content for LW than the rest of the programs. If you want more content, then help with content. I've done my part on the wikipedia (even if it seems to be less cool than the cgsociety's wiki), so I'm not interested on making double efforts for yet another wiki.

colkai
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Could it have something to do with the abusive treatment that LW users frequently recieve

Certainly the reason I avoid CGT/CGS, I get fed up of people telling me what I can't do simply because I choose LW to do it.
Even when it' clearly stated that I or others have in fact done said action, you're still told it isn't possible.

Dave Jerrard
01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
I really doubt it. It has to be related to the fact that less people is contributing content for LW than the rest of the programs. And why would that be? I see two people on this thread already that have said they left CGS because of the abusive treatment they recieved there. I know several others that have left for that exact same reason. Maybe not everyone has left, but the number has definitely been trimmed down because of the way they were treated.

He Who Hasn't Posted There In A Long Time.

Titus
01-24-2007, 10:11 PM
And why would that be?

Well I don't know really, I never had the problem you describes. But the real problem with a wiki is not having people adding content, because you only need one person to do this and I'm sure there is more than one lightwaver lurking at CGS. I can remember the LW section on the wikipedia with a minimal content for months then I wrote a couple of paragraphs and in the next few days more people started to append content, it's just a matter of giving a little push. Again, if you don't like the content of a wiki, participate!

Philbert
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
And why would that be? I see two people on this thread already that have said they left CGS because of the abusive treatment they recieved there. I know several others that have left for that exact same reason. Maybe not everyone has left, but the number has definitely been trimmed down because of the way they were treated.

He Who Hasn't Posted There In A Long Time.

I used to post there a lot when I first got into 3D and I got some very insulting remarks on my WIPs, so I left and moved to Spinquad and here. However sometime last year I noticed they had posted stickies up about those kinds of comments and so I gave them another try and didn't get one bad comment, any criticism was also constructive, which is fine by me. Lately all of my work has been under NDA so I haven't posted much, but it looks like they may have changed for the better at least a little.

Celshader
01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Well I don't know really, I never had the problem you describes. But the real problem with a wiki is not having people adding content, because you only need one person to do this and I'm sure there is more than one lightwaver lurking at CGS. I can remember the LW section on the wikipedia with a minimal content for months then I wrote a couple of paragraphs and in the next few days more people started to append content, it's just a matter of giving a little push. Again, if you don't like the content of a wiki, participate!

I'll happily contribute to BeeVee's LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com), but I am not interested in contributing any further to CGTalk at this time.

colkai
01-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Amen Jen,
If I've owt to add to a Wiki, I'll do it on Bens Place.

Medi8or
01-25-2007, 04:51 AM
What about updating the cgwiki with a nice link to BeeVee's place? :)

Titus
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll happily contribute to BeeVee's LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com), but I am not interested in contributing any further to CGTalk at this time.

Fair enough. I like how Lighwiki has plans for bilingual information, maybe I can contribute translating to Spanish.

WilliamVaughan
01-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to be a Mod at CGtalk for the LW section...I agree with Dave on this one!

Andyjaggy
01-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I used to post at CGtalk too, but don't think I have posted anything in over two years. I know it's the 'place to be' for anyone who is anyone in this industry but I couldn't stand the snobbish attitude of most people over there.

Celshader
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I know [CGTalk is] the 'place to be' for anyone who is anyone in this industry...

Is it? If so, I missed it. I never did see John Lasseter post there.

mosconariz
01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Is it? If so, I missed it. I never did see John Lasseter post there.

Haha! John Lassetter! that's a good one... CGtalk is a Steven Stahlberg's and Linda Bergkvist's forum and gallery, including something like 150,000 fans... however, I love the quality of the work displayed there... And, I ve'nt had any bad experience there, maybe cause I don't post in the Lightwave forum... jep

oDDity
01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I haven't seen any anti-LW nazis there either. I show them what can be done in lightwave, and they have no choice but to agree and put it in the award gallery.
That's the way to change attitudes, there's no point sulking about it and giving up.

Dexter2999
01-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Careful there oDDIty, your gruff exterior is in danger of turning into strength of character.