PDA

View Full Version : Total Instability

Andyjaggy
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Is anyone else having major problems with Lightwaves stability? When it comes to modeler the program constantly hangs on start up and sometimes won't start up at all. When it comes to Layout it will start but will crash randomly for no reason. Help. I've never had these problems before.

Andy

Limbus
01-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Quite the opposite. Its the most stable version of LW I used. But I also had problems with starting Modeler and Layout. This is a problem with the hub on Windows XP 64. If I disable the hub it works. I the hub is enabled it can take minutes before eitehr program is laoded and even swithcing between them takes forever. The strange thing about this bug is, that it only ocurs sometimes. I didnt encounter it in the last 3 month. Right now the hub is still not working properly in LW 64. It does not start with either app so I have to start it by hand and the autosave function does not work.

Florian

Phil
01-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Hub. It's always the hub. 9.0 has lots of problems with it.

On Windows, add -0 to the end of the program line in the shortcut you use to launch both Modeler and Layout. Or rename hub.exe to something like crap.exe

On Mac, you need to edit the cmndline files and add a -0 to the end.

9.2 should be better, but OB participants (of whom I may or may not be one - no-one can say) cannot comment outside the OB area. You'll have to sign up to find out.

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 03:34 AM
It seems to be a combination of firewall and windows which causes it. I've had this problem a couple of times, and one time I changed my firewall from the dreaded Norton to another and that fixed it on my home machine, and the other time I reinstalled Win XP (which has it's own firewall) and it fixed it on my work machine. It doesn't happen on everyone's machine, but I think firewalls can be funny about it.

Limbus
01-24-2007, 03:55 AM
It seems to be a combination of firewall and windows which causes it.

I dont even have a firewall on this computer. It might be windows though or the dongle driver.

Florian

eagleeyed
01-24-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm not sure if this will help or anything and if it the dongle drivers load up when you do this but you could always try a clean boot to see if it is a startup program or process that is doing it. Here are the step by step instructions for XP.

1. In Start select run and type 'msconfig' (Without ')
2. Choose Selective Startup
3. Uncheck 'Process System.INI File' and 'Process Win.INI File'.
4. Click on the Services Tab
5. Check 'Hide All Microsoft Services'
6. Then Click 'Disable All'.
7. Hit OK and Select Restart.

To go back to normal startup just run msconfig again and select normal startup and enable the items in the Services Tab.

Doing this only starts vital windows files. It is also great for game playing. I learnt it from the Oblivion forum.

Microsoft also have given details on how to do this in the knowledge base. They are basically the same instructions I gave you except with more info etc.

Hope this helps.

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 05:01 AM
I dont even have a firewall on this computer. It might be windows though or the dongle driver.

Florian

If you're using XP, that has a built in firewall... Or do you have it switched off?

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm not sure if this will help or anything and if it the dongle drivers load up when you do this but you could always try a clean boot to see if it is a startup program or process that is doing it. Here are the step by step instructions for XP.

Some useful info there!

zardoz
01-24-2007, 05:15 AM
when I delete the hub configuration (LWHUB9.CFG) it works...Sensei said that if you delete repeated entries in LWHUB9.CFG it works, I did that...deleted the settings for the recent content directories and it worked.

kilvano
01-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Since i disabled the windows filewall and installed a 3rd party ive not had a sinlge issue.

I feel that 9 is a lot more stable that 8.5. But ive not been using it everyday like some of you guys

eagleeyed
01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeyed

Some useful info there!

--------------------------------------

I know, I didn't bother to check it right away and when I did the edit button had disappeared. Whats the deal with that?

Any way, sorry for all the people who had to try and make sense of that garble.

Basically you could try a clean boot, this only makes vital windows components start up and stops others like Nero StartUp Apps, Ulead's Background Burner etc., by doing a clean boot you can rule out if it is a background process causing the problem you are experienceing.

Step by Step instructions for a clean boot are in post #6.

prospector
01-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Can that be set permanently so as a different log on person...Say logon LW and that ini starts and logon regular and regular ini starts?

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Yup, have different LW shortcuts in different profiles...

Andyjaggy
01-24-2007, 08:40 AM
So it sounds like I just need to get rid of the hub. It's never worked that well anyway. Thanks for all the help guys.

Capt Lightwave
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I've had the same problems as you're experiencing. I must admit that I totally lost it here the other day when it seemed that layout would crach for no reason whatsoever, no matter what I tried to do and with a deadline for a job coming up a bit too fast.
Add an object...crash, add an emitter...fine...press calculate...crash...and so on and so on.
What I did today, I should have done long ago...reformatting my windows partition and reinstalling Windows all over.
The first thing I did, was to test Lightwave....and my God, what a difference...
From now on, I'll have Lightwave and just the most and utter needed software installed...nothing else.

Lottmedia
01-26-2007, 06:43 PM
So lets just add this to the innumerable threads about the same hub problem that NT seems to have a semi-magical inability to see. I am so fed up with this. I can't even expend another line here, it's useless.