PDA

View Full Version : Throwing the Gauntlet

Mental Quandary
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
O.K. I might get my head chopped for this but here goes -
Newtek is doing a great job supporting Lightwave by at least supporting Mac and Windows as viable OS options.
For virtually all other products Windows is the only platform of support. I for one am getting totally burned out on the Windows OS update and driver support fiasco. Windows 2000 was a fairly solid OS for its time. Microsoft dumped official support except for XP. With Vista looming on the horizon are we going to be forced to eventually latch onto the ongoing baggage of another Windows bloated OS.
For Lightwave, SpeedEdit, VT5 PLEASE get a team to start compiling a LINUX distro solution. I also feel that a Mac version of SpeedEdit would do great benefit to Newtek in the long run.
I for one refuse to propagate to another Windows OS. I have found great software and support for at least three of the LINUX distros I have installed.
I will keep my Windows XP for the existing Newtek software I own. But at this point vow - No more upgrades on Windows software.
I get better video production performance on the same CPU system running LINUX compared to Windows XP.
I hope that at least a few other will pick up the gauntlet and urge Newtek to get coder for LINUX.

Speedmonk42
01-23-2007, 05:33 PM
My next OS/computer is Linux.

It will not be Windows, and no, Apple isn't any better.

If I have to learn Blender and GIMP so be it.

The OS, internet, and IT in general is just too important for any company to 'own'

frantbk
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow,...another mandate to force Newtek to code for Linux. Wheres the Powerpoint presentation explaining the costs benifits for Newtek?

prospector
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Win XP is also the last Windows ver I will be upgrading to.
Unless they come out with WinTek, which only includes the main code to run LW, the VT, and Speed Edit...nothing else.

frantbk
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
So you and the other's are switching to the Mac verison of lightwave?

kilvano
01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
for those who love to moan....Windows is not rubbish and its not overpriced. Its the most supported and widely used OS in the world and most importantly....LW isnt on Linux

I would love to move to linux but until then ill stick with Windows.

I cant believe you would learn a whole new 3d package and give up apps like photoshop, LW, office just so you dont have to upgrade

You dont HAVE to upgrade. XP will be supported for years to come!

Sarford
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Windows is not rubbish

Not anymore... now they copied almost everything OS X :P

And office.... well, what can I say.... just know that I refuse to make power point or word templates for my clients. Those programs give me brain cramps.

I will buy a new windows machine though, but I only use it to play games, for serious work I stick to the mac ;)

prospector
01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Give up LW...no way, at least untill Newtek says thier stuff won't run on XP anymore.

Speedmonk42
01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Sorry, let me clarify my post a little. I didn't mean to sound too negative.

I don't think XP is rubbish at all. I like it, and I don't really seem to have many or any of the problems some Windows people complain about.

It is the direction Windows is taking. I buy the software I use, but I don't want to live in a DRM controlled universe where the use of my computer is akin to the kind of service we get from cell phone providers. (I don't think it could get that bad, but they would sure love it if it did....Ap or MS) Perhaps another analogy would be cable TV computing.

I am though excited about Vista and DirectX 10 for gaming.

The otherside of it is, since I am just a hobbyist, though I can certainly afford LW and PS ect..., I find the open source stuff.... exciting. It just looks like fun. It is not based on any ill will towards Newtek or LW at all, though I do have reservations about the direction MS and Ap are taking.

frantbk
01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Linux has since the mid 1990's to break MS & AP's hold on the computer industry. Instead of providing a consolidated product with strong support, what do you see in the Linux environment - Linux susie, ubuntu, red hat, mandrake, etc., because of this diversification of Lunux OS' Microsoft and Apple will control most of the desktop for the forseeable future.

jin choung
01-30-2007, 02:30 AM
speedmonk,

i hear you. i think that the the current wave of operating environments with the DRMs and all are stifling and unfair as well. it seems to decidedly protect the rights of content providers over the genuine rights of consumers and that just ain't right.

i hear that you can run most windows software in linux using WINE so an actual port may not be necessary.

also, there is another big trend in software that i do LIKE which is VIRTUALIZATION and that might make jumping around easier.

osX isn't much better though... the whole "universal" thing is throwing everybody for a loop and i would much prefer the upgrade hassles of vista over that.

also, upgrading isn't a do or die kinda thing. inconvenience and incompatibility can be offset but "multi-booting" which i definitely plan to do when i upgrade (but that'll have to wait until i upgrade my rig).

i did try to give linux a fair shake a year or so ago but dang it, it's BUGGY. the core OS may be running like butter but the GUI often feels clunky and freaks out and that just leaves a pampered windows user like me a little put off.

sure, i could probably cancel out of the gui and restart it or just run things from the command line but that just feels so clunky for day to day use.

i love the idea of linux in the enterprise environment to cut costs and stuff but from a consumer point of view, it's not prime time yet imo. requires too much lower level knowledge and intervention....

but if you ARE a linux proponent, WINE i think is the way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath for a port.

jin

Speedmonk42
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I think the only time there should be a linux port is when it is a no brainer. In the sense that it would be really stupid to ask if it should be ported to Windows....

XP is going to be around for a long time. There are many companies that just upgrading to XP now, so they wont' be seeing Vista for at least 5 years, if at all.

My Linux rantings aside, I don't currently think its a great idea. Unless it is very little work, but what ever is.

If webmail kills exchange server as a start.....

slackadocious
01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Why is everyone so concerned about vista? Seriously, there are huge numbers of companies still using windows2000 in production and as many home users still running windowsME and 98.. NewTek has not made any claim that their software will not work on XP after vista is released.

Microsoft is NOT forcing you to upgrade. Sure they want you to, and they may some day remove direct support for XP. But the fact is it still works, it will continue to work for years and years, and it will continue to be supported by innumerable online communities, regardless.

No one NEEDS to vista, and no one NEEDS linux.. Its all a matter of preference, and what you what you want to do in the end. Run whatever OS you want, but don't whine when what you're trying to do isn't supported. Code it yourself if its that important. :)

geothefaust
01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Slack, with vista, it really doesn't come down to preference. I say this, because M$ has so little support for OpenGL, it's not worth any one's time to use a 3D app on it, that is until third parties make a driver for each respective company.

So no, it's not preference. Forcing OGL down the shute, is not a good way to go. For the consumer, and certainly not for developers.

slackadocious
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Thats all well and good if you prefer OGL, but I'd say its about time someone makes a 3d app that utilizies DirectX 10. Its only slightly more powerful than opengl. Real time renders in DX10 are lightyears beyond anything done in openGL today. (heres just 1 example http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_adrianne_home.html)

Personally Im going to avoid Vista at least until SP1, if not longer. I did a clean install of build 6000 (retail build) when it was released, and after booting for the first time and sitting idle for 5 mins over 780mb of physical memory were in use. Not to mention the terrible 3rd party driver support this early in the game..

Vista is a resource hog, but as time moves on the hardware will catch up and DX10 could set a new precident in 3d apps, if programmers are up to the challenge.

As it stands, untill i have $5k for a 100% vista/dx10 capable machine, XP will suit my needs perfectly.

Stooch
01-30-2007, 05:46 PM
yeah you can throw down the gauntlet all you want but i dont think you have the majority backing you. i see nothing wrong with xp. imo its the best platform for my career (even better then macos) and i just dont share the sentiments for linux. its a nice idea but until it has the same support as windows xp im perfectly content using micro$oft$ product$