PDA

View Full Version : Kurtis, Please, What about the hub???

Lottmedia
01-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm tired of posting gripes here about the hub locking up. I've never seen a post by someone from NT in any of the multiple threads on the subject. Kurtis, what is going on with this?

Casey :cat:

Sensei
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I was thousand times repeated since LW9 release in July 2006.. Just enter "hub" in search, and press "go"..

Lottmedia
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, yes, and I was in almost all those threads. That is why I asked a direct question to Kurtis.

Casey :cat:

dlbird
01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
when someday lightwave and modeler are intergrated , the problem will gone. otherwise maybe choose another prog is a good idea.

Lottmedia
01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Come on Kurtis, you have to see this. Why will no one say anything?

Sensei
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Come on Kurtis, you have to see this. Why will no one say anything?

Maybe NDA.. ;)
Did not LW v9.2 hub works flowlessly on your machine.. ?

kilvano
01-25-2007, 02:13 AM
The hub works great on most computers. Turn off your Windows firewall before installing LW and use a 3rd party from www.filehippo.com.

Or follow the instructions in a million other posts to turnt he hub off.

I gets really annoying when a subject which has already been discussed at length gets re hashed and an answer demanded from Newtek.

Its easy...1 - sort out your firewall or 2. Change the settings in the shortcut the program.

prospector
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Hub works great here.
fixes are firewalls
Norton on mine was especially bad

Did a search and came up with 500 threads on it and all pretty much the same..Firewalls or turn off if you want to keep firewall you have, others work differently so tests of others will give you different results.

lion111
01-25-2007, 08:03 AM
i think sooon its over
my favorite tip comes from (if i am not wrong from sensei)
just delete the hub cfg
and have a fresh start
here it worked

Limbus
01-25-2007, 09:00 AM
The hub works great on most computers. Turn off your Windows firewall before installing LW and use a 3rd party from www.filehippo.com.

Or dont use a firewall on your system at all because it is useless anyway.

I dont have a firewall on my system, never had one and still have a malfunctioning hub.

Or follow the instructions in a million other posts to turnt he hub off. The situation on the other 64 bit machines in the office is the same.

I gets really annoying when a subject which has already been discussed at length gets re hashed and an answer demanded from Newtek.
I find it much more annoying that the Hub still does not work correctly. Turnign it off solves some problems but its a big hit on the workflow of many people.

Florian

Lottmedia
01-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Again, not looking for work-arounds, I can do that and have had to to get it to be useable. I would like the software to work properly. Geeze, it it a boy thing or what? Why can't anyone uderstand.

lion111
01-25-2007, 10:20 AM
and my best whishes for you too

Kurtis
01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I wish I could see every thread that's started in these forums. Unfortunately, the forums are not my only duty, so I'm sure I miss a lot.

I remember posting about this several times just after the release of LightWave v9. The only problems with the hub I've been aware of have had to do with not setting proper permissions through a firewall of virus software, and posted as such in those threads.

Since I'm not in Development or Technical Support, my technical expertise is somewhat limited if I haven't experienced a problem myself, which makes it hard for me to say much beyond that. I've not heard of any chronic problems of this nature from our Tech Support or Dev departments beyond firewall issues. So, if you're using LightWave v9, my best suggestion is to try the v9.2 Open Beta and see if that makes a difference for you.

KevinL
01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
is valid. I use it, and quite often it works. But when I am having mystery crashes (let's send an MS error gram, whooHoooo) I find it usually clears by running hubless.

The very name states that is right smack in the middle of things so it needs to be improved to the point that it is as bulletproof as humanly possible. The word "workaround" should not need to be used in discussing the hub. It needs to play flawlessly with firewalls (after they are properly configured).

I don't see this as a rehash of the subject, since the Hub has never been addressed properly.

Thanks,
Kevin

PS not a gender thing, it's a software thing :)

Exception
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, Kurtis, I'm afraid the hub is causing a lot of people grievance. I stopped talking about it because I was sure it would be 'known by now', but if the tech department is not aware of it, we should maybe have a little poll...

Kurtis
01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I agree. If someone's having a problem, it's a valid problem. Just saying I'm not aware of anything beyond what I've posted in the past.

If LightWave v9 is at issue, the first best thing to do is to see if the v9.2 open beta makes a difference. If Tech Support can't help, the next place to look for a fix is in the new update. If the problem is still there, it can be posted in the Open Beta forums so the Dev Team can know about it and look into it.

Kurtis
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, Kurtis, I'm afraid the hub is causing a lot of people grievance. I stopped talking about it because I was sure it would be 'known by now', but if the tech department is not aware of it, we should maybe have a little poll...

Please feel free. As I said, I'm not in Dev, so they may be aware of things I'm not. If you want to do a poll though, try v9.2 first then start the poll in the open beta forums if necessary. A poll of people who have not tried the newest update is not of as much value to the Dev Team as a poll of those that have.

lion111
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
dear kurtis
please dont look so angry
you ll see in 2 or 3 month ...
best whishes

Exception
01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Please feel free. As I said, I'm not in Dev, so they may be aware of things I'm not. If you want to do a poll though, try v9.2 first then start the poll in the open beta forums if necessary. A poll of people who have not tried the newest update is not of as much value to the Dev Team as a poll of those that have.

Will do, sir.

Sensei
01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
i think sooon its over
my favorite tip comes from (if i am not wrong from sensei)
just delete the hub cfg
and have a fresh start
here it worked

Yep, I gave it in July'06 right after LW9.0 release.. :) This way you still have hub functionality and one per week or so clean it up (it depends on how long your computer is running - if you have computer never restarted for year you don't have hub issue at all!).. Even wanted to write not deletable Layout master plugin (similar to NodeUpdater) that would do automatic cleanuping duplicated lines in LWHUB9.CFG for you, but realized that this file is overwritten when hub exits, not when Layout or Modeler is closing..

sudac20
01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
The hub is broke, has been broke. I think most people have just disabled it. I truly hope the team is aware of the problem. This subject has been talked about to death, I believe chuck has even chimed in from time to time on the subject.

Regardless, LW 9 is broke and needs fixed, if the dev team didnít know about the hub problems they do now so hopefully they make it work properly.

Kurtis
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Here is the word from our Dev Team. Any work done refers to v9.2.

In Development's examinations of user experience with the Hub, most folks report dependable operation but some users do report instability issues for which they feel the Hub is the source. Where users report problems that can reliably be duplicated, we have addressed those issues; with regard to reports where problems are intermittent rather than reliably repeatable, it is very difficult to duplicate such issues and therefore difficult to identify and fix the causes. The development team does continue to research such issues, and during the current cycle we've done considerable work on the Hub on the Mac version, as Mac user reports show a greater frequency of such issues. We'll continue to work toward improvement of the Hub, and that could include replacement with entirely new code as part of our parallel changeover of the application.