PDA

View Full Version : Flickering Shadows

genesis1
01-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm fairly new to LW, only been using it for about 4-5 months. I keep having a problem with certain objects that when they cast a self shadow, the shadow flickers a lot in the resulting animation. I can get rid of it if I turn off self shadow, but I don't always want to do this. Also when I render the animation as an AVI file using indeo codec 5.11, I have to click on the scalability box,in the codecs configuration otherwise the render will hang saying cannot write stream.

Jon.:help:

Sean Martin
01-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Can you give us a bit more information on your set up?
What sort of shadows are you using?

Shadow maps will flicker in animation if you've got cache shadowmaps checked!

genesis1
01-24-2007, 12:18 PM
No, I'm using Raytrace shadows and the object is a robot which has an antena at the front which throws a shadow on the robot which is OK except that the shadow Flickers and spoils the overall look of the AVI movie. Like I mentioned if I turn off self shadow it stops but then I'm losing all self shadow and it lessons the realistic look.Any ideas how to stop this flicker. It happens as the camera pans around the moving object. I have 3 lights in the scene, 2 spots and one distant.

toby
01-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Can you post an image? We need to see what kind of flicker it is - anti-aliasing too low, strong lighting, texture flickering, etc. Could be anything really.