PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit goodness

wargum
01-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi guys,

I know Chilton already said a 64 bit version of LW Mac will come in the future (a natural thing). I want to buy a new Mac soon and have the opportunity to get a Quad G5 very cheap compared to the price of a Mac Pro. Once Leopard comes out I plan to put a lot of RAM inside it (something around 8 GBs) because I need it for a different 64 bit app, which is anounced around the time Leopard is expected to be released. So, I ask myself whether a 64 bit version of LW will be PPC too. If it will be Intel only, I would want to get the Mac Pro. BTW, will version 9.2 be released as 64 bit later, or will it be 9.[> 2] or even 10?

:lightwave

Thomas
01-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Good question!

How long will NewTek support the PowerPC? As long as Xcode does?

Hopefully... :)

wargum
01-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I personally wouldn't care if 10 is Intel only if 9 will be PPC64 and rock stable!

BTW, how difficult is a 32 to 64 bit transition compared to making a UB?

BazC
01-23-2007, 06:49 AM
I can't see ANY software company going Intel only for a few years yet. It would just be reducing their potential user base for no reason! My guess is UB apps will continue for at least another 3-4years.

Chilton
01-23-2007, 07:52 AM
There's no real point in doing an Intel only app unless it's a new port of an existing PC app. And the simple reason for being Intel only on a new PC port is that there would be no endian byte swapping issues.

Which, by the way, was a pretty serious issue early on with the UB, one I'm glad I had Dave Vrba around for. His freakishly accurate understanding of these things removed a lot of roadblocks.

-Chilton

Chilton
01-23-2007, 07:54 AM
...how difficult is a 32 to 64 bit transition compared to making a UB?

Just moving to 64 bit is a walk in the park in comparison to the CFM CodeWarrior->Mach-O XCode port. Keep in mind that part of our source code base is already 64 bit, as we have a 64 bit PC version. However, converting our UB to a Leopard compatible 64 bit app is more like a jog with some occasional sprinting. Fortunately, we've been building the UB with the intent to move quickly towards Leopard compatibility, so we've laid much of the groundwork for the 64 bit port already.

-Chilton

wargum
01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Fortunately, we've been building the UB with the intent to move quickly towards Leopard compatibility, so we've laid much of the groundwork for the 64 bit port already.

-Chilton
Excellent! That means I can buy that freakin' Quad G5 and save a lot of money, not only on the machine itself, but also an the RAM which cost around half the price of these stupid FBDIMMS :D

toby
01-25-2007, 10:48 PM
There's no real point in doing an Intel only app unless it's a new port of an existing PC app. And the simple reason for being Intel only on a new PC port is that there would be no endian byte swapping issues.

And I've had some serious ***** problems with endian byte swapping. Pick your dates carefully guys, stay away from singles bars, and get regular check-ups.