PDA

View Full Version : LW9 on Win98?

doimus
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I've decided not to get rid of some hardware that was lying around but I'm building a nice FrankenPC instead.
Considering the fact this thing will run on a mighty 2.8 P4, I would like to exploit it shamelessly for my lightwave needs.

But, here's the deal - I don't want to spend money on anything regarding that pc. Let alone buying WinXP licence for it! And HDD is 15GB too, so...

Can LW9 run on Windows 98SE??
At least that little Screamernet standalone render thingy?

Oh, and BTW, I'll be installing Ubuntu on it too, but we don't have LW for Linux, do we? Even the little render thingy for linux is missing, and we had it when LW8 was around... eh?:question:

colkai
01-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Not a problem at all, I've run it on W98SE for a long time.
Heck, I run it on a P3-550 with 256MB of RAM running W98SE. :p

(No, honest, I'm not joking, that's one of the many things I LOVE about LW).

kilvano
01-23-2007, 02:48 AM
I wonder if it will run on my P90 with 7mb Ram and a 1.4Gb hard drive?

it has Win98.

Ill give it a go i think!

colkai
01-23-2007, 05:21 AM
7mb of ram might be pushing it ;)
But I can tell you it does run on a P90 (don't ask :p)

eagleeyed
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM
I tryed it on a 75mhz Pentium with 8MB ram. It kemp crashing for some reason. (Wonder Why???) But then again it cant even run a 1996 McDonalds Computer Game. Frame Rate is 2 a sec.

kilvano
01-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I tryed it on a 75mhz Pentium with 8MB ram. It kemp crashing for some reason. (Wonder Why???) But then again it cant even run a 1996 McDonalds Computer Game. Frame Rate is 2 a sec.

it still runs Carmageddon and Worms.

Havent booted it up in a few years mind you.

Stooch
01-23-2007, 06:16 AM

wait a second. mcdonalds computer game>????

eagleeyed
01-23-2007, 07:54 AM
wait a second. mcdonalds computer game>????

It was released in Australia a long time ago with the Happy Meal, it was great for a kid, the milkshake (Grimace) sang with a chorus of hamburgers, you had to catch the hamburgler and you had to help ronald play musical instruments.

mattclary
01-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I've decided not to get rid of some hardware that was lying around but I'm building a nice FrankenPC instead.
Considering the fact this thing will run on a mighty 2.8 P4, I would like to exploit it shamelessly for my lightwave needs.

But, here's the deal - I don't want to spend money on anything regarding that pc. Let alone buying WinXP licence for it! And HDD is 15GB too, so...

Can LW9 run on Windows 98SE??
At least that little Screamernet standalone render thingy?

Oh, and BTW, I'll be installing Ubuntu on it too, but we don't have LW for Linux, do we? Even the little render thingy for linux is missing, and we had it when LW8 was around... eh?:question:

Too bad NewTek refuses to develop a Linux version of LW. :(

doimus
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Meh, it's the same old closed-circle paradox of we're not developing linux version because we don't have enough linux users. All non-Linux companies quote it all the time.

But yes, it would be great to have a linux version for those cheaper-than-OS-licence render nodes...

Whatever happened to standalone screamernet render app... last it was seen on LW8.5 AFAIK.

In the meantime, we have to stick to our dusty old Windows versions, or waste money on expensive and bloated new versions with features we could mostly do without.

inquisitive
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM

I got three Linux rackservers 2 with dual cpu's waiting for a Linux version of the network app. (does the old one work with LW9?) so far I have refused to put windows on them.