PDA

View Full Version : what and why

lion111
01-22-2007, 09:10 AM
hi

this was what i saw when i opened this part of the forums:

There have been no posts in the last 30 days in this forum.
Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist.

lw game comunity must be very small
thats sad

but here is my question

what engine do you use and why?
i am using quest3d for archviz (ok its not a "real gameengine")

greetings

theshadowfan
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
For The Divine I'm using a proprietary engine mainly because that's how the project started. The programmer that I found started building an engine for a space game so I jumped on board. Since our new 3D artist came on board we've been using Lightwave to model. The graphics have definitely improved from what is currently on the website. We're planning on releasing new screenshots on February 6 that show off the enhanced graphics. :lightwave

lion111
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
hi

thanks a lot for answering
i really thought this part of the forum is dead
of course all my modelling is done in LW
but the transfer of multiple UV maps (one for texture,one for lightmap and one for normal) is lets say a bit tricky but its working
how is the comunication between LW and the engine you are using
and what about heavy polycounts

greetings

theshadowfan
01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Well I wouldn't count this forum as not being dead just because I joined. :hey: But thanks for the greet!

I've asked my modeler to join the forums and chat. The reason why we're using Lightwave is because it's the only program that he knows inside and out. Before he joined we were using either Maya or Max. We had a hard time finding a replacement modeler for a long time. So when our current modeler came around it didn't matter that he was using Lightwave we were desperate!

Things with Lightwave have been going great so far. Our programmer didn't set out to make the best engine in the world for this game. As such we have some limitations with the engine. When he originally made the engine he was using Milkshape so all the models have to be converted to ms3d to work in the engine. Thankfully we haven't had too many problems with this conversion process. It just kind of sucks to jump between two different modeling softwares.

Also the engine doesn't support terrain. This is fine for us since we're making a space game.

Our polycount is divided between fighter ships being 1,500 polys and motherships being 3,000 ploys. Because of normal maps, luminosity maps, and specularity maps the game looks great even though a ship might only be 900 polygons! I can run the game on a 1ghz Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 machine and it runs on average at 15-20fps, with over 10 fighters and 3 motherships. Considering that this machine has 6 year old technology I think our audience will be running this game at much faster speeds. :D

lion111
01-22-2007, 02:00 PM
hi

yup thats one of the main questions for me
the textures
what is the minimum solution (all together)
i mean what kind of grafik card is it which fits it all
not sure but i think now a days everybody at leat has a 64er
and hey good luck with your game

greetings

theshadowfan
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
The hardcore audience is going for Nvidia's 8800 now for the DX10 capabilties. I don't really know what the average gaming machine would be now though. I'd have to imagine they should all be able to run Half Life 2.

Lamont
01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I use a few apps:

- GameMaker
- Torque Gamebuilder
- UnrealED (Unreal)
- Hammer (Half Life 2)

I like GameMaker because it's 2D and I can bang out a game quickly, or code up some gameplay prototypes.

I think the LW modder community is there.. they are just not here. You'll find LW modders at other forums. Also, NT needs to do something about the UV mapping and Modelers viewports to support at least the basics (bump, specular, alphas and normalmaps) because I hate going to Layout to see something. That will make it easier for modders. Export formats? Nah, let the community take care of that. But most engines that you'd want to mess with have a LW exporter for it.

Turbo, Mkii(?) and a few others use LW as well.

Dodgy
01-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I use LW in games too, but there's not really much need to quiz anyone on here about LW since it's so easy to use :)

Lamont
01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Hahaha!! Sorry I forgot about you Dodgy. IIR, you were doing Worms?

Fozz
01-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Been using LW for games the last 5 years or so. Pretty much come to an end now since I more or less have made the move to XSI.

gazmon
02-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Just started creating games - dabbled a while back with torque and a few others but Unity is blowing me away at the moment-love it!!!

Lamont
02-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Been using LW for games the last 5 years or so. Pretty much come to an end now since I more or less have made the move to XSI.True. As much as it pains me, I'm moving to Maya more and more because of the little things that add up and it's what I use at work.