PDA

View Full Version : Someone opened one of the boxes at the Applestore!

wizlon
06-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Don't know if this is a hoax or not but it was passed to me by a friend in work. It's ranslated from German -

i was with a friend yesterday who is working in a big macShop - i canīt tell you city and shopname, because heīll lose his job.
they got new computers yesterday and they are the new 970s mit OSX 10.2.7.??

There is no "G5" shown on the outer hull, just PowerMacintosh 970. The Computers are there is two versions. Grey plastic with Aluminium or white plastic with Aluminium. The grey version has got the grill optic (grey stripes), the white is completely white, no structure.
The Picture seen in here (where this was posted, --> the translator,MacCaine) is a fake, definitely.
The Machines are not shaped as seen on the picture, no grill-style air-intakes. But small holes on the top and bottom, rounded out on the front. Similar to the ones from the eMacs.
The Machines are rounded out to top-front side and to the front.
All have got Superdrives.
The sides are covered with Alu, the right cover can be opened to access the inside.
On top and bottom, the machine has got 2 polished steelparts.
The Slots for the drives are in a "box that can be pulled out!!!!!!" On this box is the Apple Logo and "Powermacintosh 970" It can be rotated 90 degr. If rotated you can use the machine as desktop or as tower. There is space for 5 drives - optical or HD.
on the frontside there are 1 FW 800 Port, Headphones, Mic, bluetooth logo, three apple typical buttons, and chromed speaker.
on the back are 1 FW 800, 1 FW 800, 2x USB, 1 USB 2.0, ethernet, ADC, DVI and four diagonal PCI Slots!!!!!, speaker connector, mic.
Size of hull.: 15cm x 65cm x 40cm

There is a new alu/white keyboard, optical 2 button mouse without cord, srollwheel made of alu, bluetooth.

The machine didīt start from a OsX 10.2.6 HD

Inside one CPU, cooler for two cores!!!!!!

the new Displays...!!!!!!! can be positioned exactly into small fittings on the left side of the hull, so that when it is used as a desktop, the display doesnīt slip away.

Johnny
06-18-2003, 12:38 PM
sounds cool...hope it's accurate.

like waving raw steak in front of a rottweiler!

J

serpicolugnut
06-18-2003, 01:43 PM
First of all, "two versions" of the Pro machine? Highly unlikely. Even at the height of the multicolor Macs, the Pro line as always been a "one size fits all" product, in terms of case/color.

Second, Apple is amazingly tight with new product shipments that await announcements. Do you really think that Apple would ship one of these puppies to a retailer other than an Apple Store before the launch date (next Monday)? Especially one in Germany? Not likely.

Finally, I doubt the claim that "PowerMacintosh 970" is anywhere on the machine itself. Apple has not put a title tag on any pro desktop machine since the B&W G3.

We'll find out definitely Monday, but this sounds like a whole lot of German Quatsch (baloney)...

serpicolugnut
06-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Really, I'm not as concerned with what the unit looks like. The key concerns for me are:

1-PPC970 chip must be there. Another iteration of the G4 in the desktop line will be a serious setback for Apple at this stage.

2-Good graphics support. The pro machines should have pro graphics systems. AGP8x, and professional (not gaming) graphics cards...

3-Fast system bus and RAM

4-FW800, USB 2.0 and Bluetooth built in

5-A case with access as easy as the current case (hinged access). Handles have become an Apple signature, and I hope they remain, albeit in a less pronounced version than the current case.

6-Last but not least - Give us a pro 2 button mouse with a scrollwheel, please!

Johnny
06-18-2003, 01:57 PM
serpicolugnut;

I like your list of must-haves...I hope Apple is taking time to implement them, and I can wait for a machine that's right..

J

tallscot
06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Since when is there an Apple Store in Germany anyway?

2 buttons isn't enough for me. I'd still throw it in the closet and buy a better mouse.

Beamtracer
06-18-2003, 10:18 PM
I think the rumor could be reasonably accurate. It fits pretty closely with other rumors around the place.

Some features, such as 970 processor, Firewire 800, Bluetooth, are just a given.

Monday is the big announcement. I kind of hope that pictures don't get out before Monday. Did you always want to peek at your presents before Christmas? It's nice to have a surprise.

I think Steve Jobs' keynote is being webcast, but I haven't got a URL.

tallscot
06-19-2003, 10:14 AM
I'm not even assuming that there will be new hardware announced. The 970 in a Mac is a rumor. New hardware is a rumor.

For years now, I've been reading rumors about the G5 being announced at various MacWorlds, Seybolds, WWDCs, etc. None of them came true. Until I get my hands on one, it's just a rumor.

Considering that the rumors are saying the IBM 970 Mac is 4-5 times faster than the G4, I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt.

I haven't seen any info on a webcast at all. Right now, there isn't going to be one. You need an Apple Store with a theater, or a real satellite dish. Maybe TechTV will show it. They usually say the business day before the show.