PDA

View Full Version : Question about bones and rendering

G3D
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
If one wanted to show a bone rig on a reel and do a dissolve from the final render to the rig, is there a way to render only the bones with antialiasing or even custom bone shapes?
I know that you can hide the object and render a preview of only the bones and do the dissolve in After Effects or other comping apps ... trouble is the bones themselves are very thin and can disappear easily, especially at video or dvd res. Plus they'll be aliased.
I thought about rendering a preview at 2x the necessary res and the scaling it down in AFX to get an antialiased effect, but that would also make the bones' outlines even thinner. So ... that means actually *modeling* thicker bones and having the rig deform them. (don't want to do that; I'm too lazy)
Or an LScript or plug that can not only make bones render as antialiased objects but can also make edges render thicker via the object panel.
Anyone have any ideas? I know this might seem silly, but good presentation on a reel always helps. Might want to do something like this in the future.
Thanks in advance!

Bog
01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Hmmm.

Uhm.

Thought 1: Are you using Skelegons? If so, you could replace the skelegons with bones.

Thought 2: You could take the model you've rigged, and actually, y'know, model bones. The bone shape. Everyone knows what an elongated shape like that means. Then just replace the rigged model with the pseudobone maquette.

G3D
01-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Hmmm.

Uhm.

Thought 1: Are you using Skelegons? If so, you could replace the skelegons with bones.

I think you misunderstand. Its already rigged from skelegons converted to bones in Lightwave.

Thought 2: You could take the model you've rigged, and actually, y'know, model bones. The bone shape. Everyone knows what an elongated shape like that means. Then just replace the rigged model with the pseudobone maquette.

Thats what I wrote in my post, but like I said, I'm lazy and don't want to model all that if I don't have to. (One model in particular has 200+ bones)

Seems to me that a bone, camera, light, custom null, whatever is a 3d element and as such its data could be made to render in the same manner that a standard LW object does, along with the render edges feature, for extra clarity. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Bog
01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Ah.

Uhm. Well, if there's a "Replace Bone with Object" function that auto-scales the object to the rest length and orientation of the bone, I'm not aware of it. Perhaps you could search the flay.com plugin database?

G3D
01-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Didn't do that yet. Otherwise I might have to revisit LScript. Hopefully this type of thing isn't outside the scope of LS (or the SDK)
I'm sure other folks have wondered about this, so by tomorrow someone else may have some ideas.