PDA

View Full Version : Moth Racer

Andyjaggy
01-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Here is what I have been working on for the past month or so. Hope you like it.

avkills
01-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Very nice Andy. Is that for outer space or atmosphere, I figured atmosphere since it has the intakes.

Still very good modeling, texturing and lighting.

-mark

lilrayray77
01-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Great job, film quality if I may say so. How about wires and perhaps a couple more angles? Any way, great job!

Andyjaggy
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. I 'll post some wires and a few more angles when I get a chance. When I originally started modeling this I intended it to be a space fighter but as it started to take shape I kind of moved it more towards a land racer.

starbase1
01-22-2007, 04:20 AM
Great! I really love that slightly purplish metal texture you are using - would you be prepared to share the settings?

The only thing I don't like is the red and blue logo - those primary colours just seem a bit unsubtle compared with the rest of it... Maybe something is stark black and white?

Good work though!

Nick

Kuzey
01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Super cool work...love the shape and feel of it :thumbsup:

I agree, the logo needs something more...maybe part of it can be outlined in silver and the rest in solid silver but darker :D

Kuzey

IgnusFast
01-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Not to say it's not a gorgeous little vehicle, but strongly reminds me of the Scorpion craft from Star Trek Nemesis.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PY4203#LargeImage

McFilms
01-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Now that looks just too cool. Well done!!!:thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
My original inspiration for the ship was the Scorpion, I started of the project wanting to duplicate it but couldn't find any reference material so I ended up just doing my own thing with it. In fact if you look closely at the material editor you'll see the object is named scorpion :) I never bothered to rename it.

Okay here are the some wires and a screenshot of the material for the ship hull. What really made the texture look nice was the way I split the UV mapping into a color, diffuse, and specular channel, it was a little dull until I did that and then the texture suddenly came to life. I also have some incident angle stuff happening in the diffuse and specular channels, as well as a top procedural in the specular channel.

IgnusFast
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
LOL

Don't get me wrong-- I actually like your ship better than the original. Just noticed the similarity. :)

Andyjaggy
01-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Haha, yeah I thought I was being a bit cocky but I like my design better too :)

Wonderpup
01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
I really like the sense of wear in the textures- a lot of futuristic stuff looks too clean, but this looks like its been around a bit.

Andyjaggy
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks. It tooke me a while to decide what kind of surface I wanted the ship too have. I didn't want it to be shiny and clean like a car but I also didn't want it to be dirty and grungy like a Star Wars fighter. So I kind of came up with a metallic smooth finish with just a little wear in it.

Actually for the base of the texture I used two of the metal images from the Newtek texture collection.

Weepul
01-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Thumbs way, way up from me. :thumbsup: I love it!

spec24
01-26-2007, 09:11 AM
alright, alright, that's all good and fine - it looks great! Now lets see it skimming across the surface of some distant planet! Bring that baby to life :)

Andyjaggy
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm planning on it, it will be a while untill I get around to it. Probably this summer actually :(

spec24
01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm planning on it, it will be a while untill I get around to it. Probably this summer actually :(

we'll look forward to it. :thumbsup:

pixeltek
01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Worth every minute of your time. Elegant design job.:thumbsup:

dxyner
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
It has great styling. I like the realism of your metal texture, and I think the lighting is great, but I personally feel like the interior of the cockpit doesn't match the feeling of the rest of it. I don't know if it is because it doesn't have the same been around feeling that the hull has, or if it is a lack of detailing to draw my eye in. It seems to stand a out a bit distractingly though, and I'd like to see a few more toggles, buttons, panels and the like.

oDDity
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
This is quality in all areas. It always nice to see someone putting in the extra effort to do things properly, and to the best of their ability. There's not enough of that around here.

Andyjaggy
01-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Thankyou so much Oddity. I don't always agree with your opinions but I respect your talent and to get a compliment from you means something.

sammael
02-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Wicked design man, this rocks! I think you have inspired me to try some scifi stuff.

Bog
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
As stated elsewhere, Andy - that's Pro Grade Work and no mistake. Lovely, lovely stuff. I have to bring up the resemblance to the F-19 (http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/TESTORS%20F-19%20STEALTH%20PAGE.htm) F-19 again, but that's no bad thing a-tall, I always thought the '19 was so much cooler looking than the F-117 we ended up with ;)

It's beautiful work in all areas, sir. You should be proud.

*edit*

Yoke looks like and sturdy from here too ;)

Andyjaggy
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Bog. I am finally starting to get to the point where I am happy with my work, it's a good feeling. I can't get cocky though because once you think you know it then you stop learning.

Bog
02-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Bog. I am finally starting to get to the point where I am happy with my work, it's a good feeling. I can't get cocky though because once you think you know it then you stop learning.

Too right, Andy. You've got this one nailed, and we're all asking you - where do you go from here? We all want to see it move - or we want to see something else from you static, but better!

Your Moth is gorgeous, no fuss or muss, and she's got it in all the right places. You've got this style - the near-black speed-beast - nailed.

But there's always something else - and that's the beauty. None of us can know it all - the only question is, where do we go from here?

And that's the beauty - because that's not about art, that's about the artist.

Reckon that's why we're here. :)

Though if I were you, I'd take a few moments just to sip a tasty beverage, maybe look at the moon and think....

"Right now... right here... I am Bad @ss"

Andyjaggy
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
your too kind. I am planning on doing an animation with this baby, but it will be a while till I get to it. I have too many other projects and stuff on the top of my list right now. I have a whole list of fighter, planes, vehicles that I want to do. It's just finding the time.

Rusherific
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Looks great from the onset, but the subpatching seems a little round, which is great for the shape but details like the access panels and intakes are a little cartoony and could be sharper, and you'd have a 10 model :D

Vong
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Very cool vehicle. Reminds me of something you'd see on the G.I.Joe cartoons.

Excellent work!