PDA

View Full Version : can use EPSF Loader correctly

xersius_x
01-21-2007, 08:52 AM
About a year ago, I remeber doing a tutorial just for the fun of it, to make a 3D Animated Logo out of An Illustrator File. Using the EPSF LOader.

I just found the tutorial for it, and tried it again with V.9.0, and it won't work.
1st of all if the logo is say... octagonal, and the background is a 3"x3" Square, the file opens in lightwave as a 3"x3" square instead of the octagonal shape. and the parts that are supposed to be opened. (like the 3 holes in the Newtek Logo that comes with the tutorial) are all filled in to. It's like a sold square instead of the Newtek Logo shape.

Then when I tried to "boolean" it, I get a sign saying something about, "can't complete process not enough sources for buffer". but when I tried doing a regular square with a disc boolean subtract just to test my Lightwave it works.

Does anyone know if there are some prefrences or settings for the EPSF Loader, that I might be able to fool around with to make it work like it should?

Thanks
xersius_x

xersius_x
01-21-2007, 08:54 AM
The tutorial for making a logo from an Illustrator file is on the Lightwave V.9 website, and the newtek tutorial "Main Menu".

Silkrooster
01-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I just did a quick test and it seams to work fine in both 8.5 and 9.0. Attached is the test ai file I used.
This file was created in Illustrator CS2. Steps to create the object.
1)Create a box roughly 3 x 3 inches
2)For corner edges Effect>Path>Offset Path>Joins=miter. (Reduction of square may be needed to bring size back to 3x3.)
3)Create circle place in center.
4)Open window>Pathfinder
5)Select Circle, then the square and click shapemode>Subtract from shape area
6)Click Expand
7)Save as Illustrator ai version 8
8)In modeler click File>Import>EPSF Loader
9)Select file, then tick auto Axis Drill.
10) Change scale if necessary (I found the default scale of 0.01 produced an object of 2.1 Meters)
Hope this helps
Silk