PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bitmaps on my new laptop LCD look like $$#%

Speedmonk42
01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Any reason why bitmaps on my laptop look like well...crap?

It is a WUXGA screen. bitmaps look pretty hacked and nasty when browsing the web.

The DPI settings are for text I believe, and I tried changing them nonetheless to no effect.

Any ideas?

LW seems happy on it though (XPS)

lesterfoster
01-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Sounds like you are in 8 bit or 16 bid color mode. Try setting it to 24 bit or 32 bit color mode.

Speedmonk42
01-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Hmmm. I am using 32bit.

The images when browsing the web look like they have been badly scaled or jaggy like they are not antialiased.

For example the words in the newtek menu bar are badly chunky, or the white edges on that piece of funky plumbing in lesterfosters id are very pixelated.

:(

Speedmonk42
01-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Well it seems to have decided to fix itself.

wtf?

Things look mucho better now. I can't imagine what it was, I ran windows update and now things look great.

What on earth would be in the update that fixes bitmaps in explorer.....bizzzarrreeee.

robk
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
It almost sounds like your laptop was not running at it's native LCD resolution which will produce crappy results.

IgnusFast
01-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Well it seems to have decided to fix itself.

wtf?

Things look mucho better now. I can't imagine what it was, I ran windows update and now things look great.

What on earth would be in the update that fixes bitmaps in explorer.....bizzzarrreeee.

I agree with Robk - Windows Update probably downloaded a new .inf that supported native resolution for your LCD. Anything lower than native will either look really chunky or really blurry, depending on how good a job your laptop does at scaling....