PDA

View Full Version : OWC, Axiotron reveal MacBook tablet

Celshader
01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Mac users have enjoyed Cintiqs for years, but now they have a portable option! LightWave-specific Mac users probably don't need a device like this, but folks who also run pressure-sensitive drawing/ZBrush-style apps might like it.

From http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/10/modbook/

OWC, Axiotron reveal MacBook tablet

By Peter Cohen

Other World Computing (OWC) and Axiotron have used Macworld Expo to
publicly unveil the ModBook, a MacBook-based tablet computer that is
expected to go on sale beginning in April, with prices starting at
$2,279.

The companies start by taking a stock Apple MacBook and remove the
screen and the top part of the MacBook’s case, including the keyboard. A
new 13.3-inch widescreen LCD is installed as part of a chrome-plated
magnesium top shell, turning the MacBook into a pen tablet-based
computer.

All of the original MacBook’s capabilities are retained, according to
the companies, and the ModBook is reversible to a stock MacBook if you
wish, although Axiotron president Andreas Haas and OWC president Larry
O’Connor suggest that they don’t expect too many buyers to request the
reversal.

The ModBook leverages Inkwell, handwriting recognition software built in
to Mac OS X Tiger. That’s complemented by Wacom’s “Penabled” hardware,
which enables users to utilize gesture recognition and direct painting
and drawing. A stylus is included, which is held within the case using a
magnetic lock.

Because such a change voids the standard Apple warranty, OWC provides a
one year warranty itself. The company has no plans to offer a
user-installable kit, at least for now.

Chilton
01-20-2007, 08:08 PM
As a Tablet junkie myself, I played with this a bit while at MacWorld. Quite nice.

-Chilton
(who tracks LightWave bugs on his souped-up Newton 2100)

Kuzey
01-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Take two tablets and call me in the morning :D

I'm not sure if I would destroy a very good computer just for that..but if Apple made one and it was super cool :help:

Kuzey

Celshader
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure if I would destroy a very good computer just for that..but if Apple made one and it was super cool :help:

Me, I hope this ModBook does two things -- meet the demand for a "TabletPC" Mac now and prove to Apple that a market exists for a "TabletPC" Mac.

-+-

I suspect there is a strong demand for "TabletPC" Macs among graphic designers. Last September I showed my TabletPC and Manga Studio EX 3.0 to a few graphic designers who also drew comics. They loved what they saw in Manga Studio, and they especially loved the idea of a portable device that would let them draw directly on the screen. Their faces fell when I said they could not get a "TabletPC" Mac, though, since they all used Macs at home. If they ever bought a Windows-based TabletPC, they would have had to also buy Windows versions of all their Mac software.

I told them that they could buy a stationary Cintiq monitor for their Macs, but they seemed to prefer the idea of a portable device. The recent ModBook news thrilled them, since they now have the option of buying a ModBook and running both the Mac version of Manga Studio and their existing Mac software on it.

-+-

If enough ModBooks sell, I hope Apple considers making an "official" TabletMac. :goodluck: Until then, I figure a lot of graphic designers will be happy using OWC's ModBook.

eidetiken
01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhMVNdplJc&mode=related&search=

gerry_g
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Take away the value of portability and you have a lesser experience than that which a conventional desktop monitor and workstation set up would offer, if I draw on paper (almost never these days) I sit at an AO drafting table (1189x841mm = 46.75"x33.75") and usually sketch on A2 (594x420mm = 23.25"x16.5") so anything short of an Intuos2 12x18 and a 24" monitor wont cut it. Even this analogy falls short as the resolution of a piece of paper seen with the naked eye is far far greater than the resolution of a flat panel, the truth is most artist draft on paper cos it's fast efficient and a lot more practical and will remain so for some time I suspect

John the Geek
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Take away the value of portability and you have a lesser experience than that which a conventional desktop monitor and workstation set up would offer, if I draw on paper (almost never these days) I sit at an AO drafting table (1189x841mm = 46.75"x33.75") and usually sketch on A2 (594x420mm = 23.25"x16.5") so anything short of an Intuos2 12x18 and a 24" monitor wont cut it. Even this analogy falls short as the resolution of a piece of paper seen with the naked eye is far far greater than the resolution of a flat panel, the truth is most artist draft on paper cos it's fast efficient and a lot more practical and will remain so for some time I suspect

I have a similar setup for my drafting table but I still prefer to draw digitally for many projects because the end result will usually be a digitally colored illustration and the tablet makes the process so much faster, and the quality of sketch will be better since most scanners ruin pencil drawings.

=)

Kuzey
01-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Me, I hope this ModBook does two things -- meet the demand for a "TabletPC" Mac now and prove to Apple that a market exists for a "TabletPC" Mac.

If enough ModBooks sell, I hope Apple considers making an "official" TabletMac. :goodluck: Until then, I figure a lot of graphic designers will be happy using OWC's ModBook.

You can never underestimate Apple, for all we know they could have a working prototype under lock and key now :thumbsup:

With the touch screen iPhone now public, I would except to see that technology making an impact on other products in the Apple brand soon :D

In the end it's all good.

Kuzey