PDA

View Full Version : Vue 6 x-Stream

mj418
01-20-2007, 06:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone here is using Vue 6 x-stream with LW9?
If so, does it work as advertised?
I haven't used Vue since version 4, but my experience with that is that there were many things in the program that took them a loooonnnggg time to fix and some things they never quite did, so I'm kinda leery about anything new from them that hasn't had 13 patches or so released yet.
They claim a perfect integration to LW, meaning everything in the Vue scene can be exported to LW via the x-stream plugin.
Sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that.:D

tonybliss
01-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I use it and it works perfect so far!! I am still in r and d stage but all is perfect so far. Oh by the way, nothing is exported to LW, it works 'inside' of LW! Almost seamless integration.

jesusguijarro
01-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes it works inside LW, but like it is Beta Light exclusion dosenīt work at the moment, but is going to be fixed in a future version.

tonybliss
01-20-2007, 09:05 AM
yep still have some fixes, but it works nicely and it is god to know there will be fixes.

mj418
01-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the replies. I guess I need to read up on it more. I hadn't really done that, because I didn't want to be swayed too much by their info before I heard from at least a few people who are actually using it.

Sekhar
01-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I have xStream 6 (also had 5) and it works well with LW9, not counting stuff like light exclusion that Jesus pointed out (I've also had crashes, need to use perspective cam, etc.). It definitely makes it way easy to get Vue content into an LW scene.

If you'll be using Poser content, note that Poser anims/dynamics won't work in xStream 6 when used with LW (licensing issue, we're told).

Also, xStream 6 (unlike 5) can run in standalone mode, which makes it Vue 6 - so, you're getting two products in one.

kopperdrake
01-20-2007, 10:45 AM
I've got it and used it but you can lose expressions occasionally, though I assume this will be fixed on final release.

Has anyone had any luck creating animations with reasonable rendering time and quality?

tonybliss
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
animations, I now got messiah and I have the three of them open working nicely
with each other, rigg/animate in messiah position in lw, set up scene in VueX;
The nitty grits well time will tell, its still in pre release :)

titane357
01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
hello can anyone confirm that render in LW is not multi threaded with Xstream render ?

Fritz Arn
01-24-2007, 01:03 AM
titane357

For me the LW rendered part is not multi threaded. And as well the Vue part ist not 100% multi threaded, because when one half of the Vue part is rendered, then there is only 50% CPU usage. So I can confirm this as well.

Best regards.

Fritz

jesusguijarro
01-24-2007, 07:49 AM
titane357

For me the LW rendered part is not multi threaded. And as well the Vue part ist not 100% multi threaded, because when one half of the Vue part is rendered, then there is only 50% CPU usage. So I can confirm this as well.

Best regards.

Fritz

Has any one report this bug to e-on software?

lwaddict
01-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Just check out their boards...
people are reporting the bugs, no problems.

Can't wait for this to be finalized.

titane357
01-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Do e-on offer dual quad Xeon for pre-release customers ? :D

starbase1
01-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Although it's the extreme version being discussed here, I have been working with V5i, (the V9 upgrade freebie), and have been rather impressed with what can be exported to Lightwave, such as skies and plants.

In particular rendering sky maps is so easy I am not sure why anyone wopuld pay the huge amount extra for Ozone unless they needed animated skies...

Nick

jesusguijarro
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Although it's the extreme version being discussed here, I have been working with V5i, (the V9 upgrade freebie), and have been rather impressed with what can be exported to Lightwave, such as skies and plants.

In particular rendering sky maps is so easy I am not sure why anyone wopuld pay the huge amount extra for Ozone unless they needed animated skies...

Nick

Vue 6 infinite is far away better than vue 5, new atmosferes, better render times, better radiosity and much more. Also importing object from Lw to vue is better than in Vue 5.

starbase1
01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
What is the rendering time like for the spectral atmospheres then? I got some fairly painful ones occasionally without the extra stuff...

Nick

jesusguijarro
01-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Havenīt tested to much spectral atmosferes.

Radamanthys
01-26-2007, 01:21 PM
titane357

Best regards.

Fritz

I have the same problem, only 25% of CPU usage when Vue 6 plugin is installed (on a quad core machine)

dlbird
01-26-2007, 11:04 PM
change camera type to "Perspective" will make use of all the cpu power.

Fritz Arn
01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
dlbird

Thanks alot for this hint...This is great, I didn't know that. I tried and indeed it works. Thanks again.

Best regards.

Fritz

dlbird
01-28-2007, 02:58 AM
dlbird

Thanks alot for this hint...This is great, I didn't know that. I tried and indeed it works. Thanks again.

Best regards.

Fritz

:lightwave

jludwig
02-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Folks,
I'm not a newbie to LW, but I am to Vue. I've been working on incorporating xStream into a project I'm putting together. My problem is the render settings don't seem to match between the two programs. The Vue portion looks pixelated and grainy versus the LW portion of my images.

I've posted a webpage with WIP renders if anyone would like to take a crack at solving this one.

http://www.arslux.com/satchmo/vue_textures/

Thanks for any input!

Jim

lwaddict
02-01-2007, 08:07 AM
First...there looks like something's amiss with the mesa textures on the mountains...but the good news is this.

Vue looks a little shabby when rendering with the default settings.
Try cranking it up to ultra realistic, but brace yourself for huge rendering times.

More good news.

Instead of trying to render this scene altogether, which could cause you to rerender each time you see something just not right...
try rendering out the starship/space cycle portion as a TGA sequence with Alpha masks built into it and then render the Vue portion separately.

This way you can put these together later and won't have to sit through Vue render times just because you decided to have someone else standing next to the control panel...or whatever else hits ya as you go.

But definitley...crank up the settings on Vue. You'll be happy you did.

jludwig
02-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I've been twiddling with Vue's render settings, and I'm afraid the render times are looking bleak. The next shot shows the jetbike leaving the hanger and heading out into the canyon, and then the rest of the shots will mostly be Vue backgrounds with LW bike and some props put into the Vue landscapes.

One thing I've found today is that the same settings on Vue look different when rendered native and when rendered in LW. I'll post examples when they FINALLY finshed rendering.

starbase1
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I would go further - don't use ANY of the Vue preset render settings for your main render. Take a look at the user settings - these give you a HUGE level of control. Also be aware that you can set stuff like anti aliasing by surface.

I found a REALLY handy PDF tutorial here:
http://users.tns.net/~mwalter1/Vue_Render_Settings.pdf

This gave me some excellent advice on where the render settings make a difference that shows, highly recommended.

The defaults in Vue are not much cop, but it does repay effort to get to grips with the very high level of control it offers.

Nick

PS - Nice Avatar jludwig! I don't think I have seen anyone use thier mother-in-law as an avatar before...

jludwig
02-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the response!

I've looked at that PDF before, but forgot it was there. I'll see what parts of it I can use in version 6.

On the other hand, I want to post a few shots I've managed to render so far. One is from Vue and one is from LW. The Vue settings are identical, but there must be some kind of translation difference, because the Vue image looks more like what I want. Any ideas?

(guess I have to post one image at a time) Here is the LW image.

jludwig
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Here is the Vue image

jludwig
02-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah, thanks for the comment on the Avatar! It was a candid shot of her first thing in the morning.

jesusguijarro
02-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the response!

I've looked at that PDF before, but forgot it was there. I'll see what parts of it I can use in version 6.

On the other hand, I want to post a few shots I've managed to render so far. One is from Vue and one is from LW. The Vue settings are identical, but there must be some kind of translation difference, because the Vue image looks more like what I want. Any ideas?

(guess I have to post one image at a time) Here is the LW image.
Your Vue image inside LW seems like LW lights are afecting the Vue scene, try exluding all LW lights except vue one to vue object

jludwig
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll give that a try, although all of the LW lights are inside the cave object. We will see what happens! Thanks for the response!

alvin_cgi
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi,
I have same lighting problem as you... have spent huge amount of time tried to find out the reason cause it, still haven't got it fix!:thumbsdow
(http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/Forum/post.php?fid=3&cat=2&pid=1984), by exluding all LW lights except vue one to vue object isn't help much, I have even deleted all LW lights, improved but then you don't have light at all for LW obj.:cursin:
One thing you can check is go to your effect-volumetrics-add volumetric panel, make sure only have one Xstream tick, this could help a lot.

I have also sent this matter to e-on tech support, so far they ask me to send more bigger image, but I am too lazy to follow up right now...:sleeping:

jludwig
02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, thanks for the input. I'll take this up with e-on tomorrow and see what happens. It's looking like I'll be building all of this in LW. . . Lots of extra work, but at least I'll get what I want.

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Hi jludwig, are you using the last update form e-on 289182?

jludwig
02-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Yep, I've been checking e-on's website pretty regularly to make sure I'm up to date. The stability seems to be okay, but this difference in images is making my crazy!

I've posted to e-on's support forum including the images, so I'm hoping someone there can tell me if it's something I'm doing or a bug in this build, or invaders from Mars.

I REALLY don't want to have to build ALL the scenery for this project in LW. I can do it, but the time involved is pretty daunting.

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Could you post your vue scene? I have that problem with prior versions to 289182 but now it renders inside LW like vue.

Any way if you discover what is happen let us know.

jludwig
02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Could you post your vue scene? I have that problem with prior versions to 289182 but now it renders inside LW like vue.

Any way if you discover what is happen let us know.
I can post the Vue scene, but would that help without the LW scene?

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Ok, if you can make a simply LW scene just with a box in replace of the ship bay and the lights could be nice for testing.

jludwig
02-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Vue scene with LW object now posted. I just zipped up the object and vue file without textures, (which adds 42MBs to the file size).

Take a look and see what you can figure out.

Jim

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
downloading now going to test

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi, have tested your scene and it renders ok to me. Besure you have build 289182 of Vue prior build don't works with LW light exclusion.

jludwig
02-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Okay, problem is, the bushes still look weird, like not antialiased enough or something. Also, which version of LW are you using?

jesusguijarro
02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I was set the render option to vue to final not ultra and rendered with PLD1 AA in LW, just for speed render times. Rendered in LW 9.0