PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question: Can I Make 3D Models Out Of Existing Images?

stark007
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Such as .tif or .jpg files? I need to create a 3D logo out of my company's flat images. I have Lightwave 8. Any help, even a "No, you idiot", would help immensely. Thanks!

paulhart
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
They is no "make magic object button" so the usual procedure is to make a vector shaped object in Illustrator, after importing the logo image into a layer, locking that layer, make a new layer, then point by point create the outline. Then you can Export this as an EPS file and import using the EPSF Import function into Lightwave.
Alternatively, create a flat plane in Lightwave, then apply a material, open the Surface Editor, and bring in your image onto the flat plane. In a new layer, again create a point by point recreation of the logo.
If you want it to be "thick" you will need to extrude it for depth, and then consider beveling the faces for an attractive edge to pick up specular highlights.
Best to create "quads" through out, selecting the points in a clockwise pattern so that the resultant face is towards you, or else you will have to flip them....
Good luck.
Paul

Wonderpup
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Another more basic way is to 'trace' the logo using points, then 'join the dots' to make a flat poly version- then extrude. You can use curves and freeze them- or even subpatches to get organic shapes.

stark007
01-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks; I may have further questions, but that puts me in the right direction.

Plakkie
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Don't we all wish for a decrappify-button... :D

Tank
01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Can you get the 2D logos in an EPS file from your company's art or marketing department (assuming they have one)? If so, you can bring that in and then extrude it into a 3D object.

Bog
01-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Stark, your main weapon here is education. You've come to the right place to ask, and in general the answer to your question - can I easily turn this bitmap into a 3D object - is no. We don't have the technology yet.

Make sure your employers realise that you will be spending skull-sweat and skilled mouse-time on making their wishes come true. You've got the right tools - LW8 is a solid bit of kit - but it's down to all of us as 3D Line Animals to make it plain to those who pay that it is more than just a couple of button clicks.

Get them to sit with you. Say "I want you to understand why this is taking time". Teach them a little about why they can't have things in 2 seconds.

It's important.

paulhart
01-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I know that Corel Suite has a trace utility and the most recent version of Illustrator now has one incorporated instead of a separate program that you had to buy. Both of these pieces of software will autotrace "clean" bit graphics, but you still need to bring the EPS into Lightwave and clean up the points.
I agree with Bog, that management is usually clueless about the time involved in this kind of process. Getting any EPS files from your inhouse graphic designers if available will speed up the process considerablly. I use a Wacom tablet, big difference in the tracing process, just a bleep'n pain with a mouse
Good Luck
Paul

Giacomo99
01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Get them to sit with you. Say "I want you to understand why this is taking time". Teach them a little about why they can't have things in 2 seconds.

Turn away with teeth clenched as they tell you, "I don't care about the details. That's YOUR job." Choke down an overwhelming urge to express your feelings in a violent manner. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Bog
01-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Turn away with teeth clenched as they tell you, "I don't care about the details. That's YOUR job." Choke down an overwhelming urge to express your feelings in a violent manner. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Alternatively, go swag Sean's "LongLunch" plugin, set it to keep important-looking progress metres on screen for three and a half hours, then go to the pub ;)

DiedonD
01-20-2007, 04:14 AM
One of the best answers for me, to that "This all 3D thing is simple, easy, a button away, and thus no need to get payed this much" attitude, was.... I dont recall his name, as it was probably a year before, but its :

Smile, point to the computer and say "Yeah, its easy, go right ahead"

Or this one by me "Yeah, you dont need me, just go ahead and press that all doing button"

mj418
01-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Alternatively, go swag Sean's "LongLunch" plugin, set it to keep important-looking progress metres on screen for three and a half hours, then go to the pub ;)

Yeah, now you're talking!:beerchug:
Is there really such a plugin?

Bog
01-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Is there really such a plugin?

There used to be! It was the work of the inimitable Sean Hyde-Moyer. I think it broke with LW6 or 7, and he didn't update it. A definate grey area to use it for real, even with clients who really do deserve to be spanked...

Dave Jerrard
01-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Such as .tif or .jpg files? I need to create a 3D logo out of my company's flat images. I have Lightwave 8. Any help, even a "No, you idiot", would help immensely. Thanks!
Actually, yes! But not with LightWave. There's dedicated software out there that can do this. Image Modeler from RealViz comes to mind, but there are others. Just do a search for image based modeling and you'll find some good info.

As for making logos from images, EPS and tracing are the top methods. I'd recommend tracing an image in the background as that helps you fine tune your modeling skills. I did a lot of that when I started 3D. I had logos coming out the wazoo. I didn't animate them coming out the wazoo - the clients wouldn't like that, so I don't recommend it.

He Who Hasn't Done Any Wazoo Logos For A While Now.

Bog
01-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I didn't animate them coming out the wazoo - the clients wouldn't like that, so I don't recommend it.

You corporate sell-out, you!*

*Warning. Irony.

Dave Jerrard
01-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I said I didn't animate it. I never said I wouldn't! Remember the floor nurnie (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53766&page=2&highlight=floor+nurnie)...

He Who Can Just Hear His Wife Groaning In Disgust Already.

Captain Obvious
01-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't we all wish for a decrappify-button... :D
If there really was a "decrappify-button," we'd all be unemployed... ;)

Dave Jerrard
01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
If there really was a "decrappify-button," we'd all be unemployed... ;)And there'd be nothing to watch on TV either, and maybe only one movie in theaters every year.

He Who Seems To Watch The Discovery Channel More Than Anything.

Bog
01-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Remember the floor nurnie (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53766&page=2&highlight=floor+nurnie)...

Term stored for future usage: "Floor Nurnie".

Anticipation of wife groaning: 100%.

Rock on.

EagleWing
01-21-2007, 09:39 PM
haha, that busy looking progress bar sounds funny as **** i wish i could have shown it to my ex boss at where i used to work we could all load it up and say the network is busy and gone and played snooker or something haha.