PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels

vhfw
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello! I'm pretty new to the hypervoxel effect and I was wondering if it is normal that it takes eight hours to do about one second of hypervoxels. If it isn't what am I doing wrong? And if it is, is there a faster way?
There is also a thing on the render window that says pass 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5 etc. What is this?

I know I have a lot of questions and the manual doesn't help at all.

Any help with just one of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ikarth
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
It depends on how many hypervoxels you have. The more particles there are, the longer it takes. Transparency and size also affect things. 10000 particles that fill the camera will take a long time, 100 particles in the distance will be fairly quick.

"Pass" in this case means the anti-aliasing passes, in the camera settings.

vhfw
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
thank you so much! It helps to know that there is someone out there who can help! Thanks Again.

Surrealist.
01-19-2007, 10:24 PM
8 hrs is a long time to wait to see an effect. Can you exaplain what you are trying to do? There might be an easier way to see the result faster because there are shortcuts to everything when testing before a final render.

vhfw
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
sure, all i was really trying to do was test the hypervoxel effect. I had a planet rotating, it would contract, and explode. the planet part only took about thirty minutes, but the explosian itself is what took forever. I'm hoping to do more with them, but if it takes that long to do it, well... Anyway that's what I'm trying to do. I did also try VIPER but i don't really know how to use it. :^)

Surrealist.
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Well if you are just starting out to use it, you can use only one particle and you can select sprites which render faster.

Good idea to look in the manual for this and see if you can find some tutorials to help you.

You use viper by making sure the edit pannel for the thing you are editing is open such as the Surface editor, make sure viper is enabled and then press f9 to render the scene. After that viper will update as you make changes.

I know there are some tutorials on hypervoxels here on this site, so you can find that in the tutorials section.

Good Luck.

SplineGod
01-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Usually its because of using too many particles. Lots of HVs can take a very long time to render.

Surrealist.
01-22-2007, 01:33 AM
And by the way my idea to use one particle and a sprite was because of what Larry said in another thread. :)

Larry you have some tuts on this don't you?

SplineGod
01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I do have some tuts on HVs. More are currently being produced :)

Surrealist.
01-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Great. Looking foreward to it.

starbase1
01-23-2007, 03:42 AM
It will help if you can describe what type of HV's you are using, and the effect you are trying to achive. But that does sound a VERY long time.

The degree of overlap plays a big part in the render time - if you start with the auto size, and shrink them a bit, that should be a good starting point.

Sprites are the fastest method - and experiment with the quality settings too, using the lowest you can get away with. Showing the image you got would help too, then we can get more specific.

There are several sample HV scenes for playing with on my downloads page, help yourself.

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/downloads.htm

Nick

vhfw
01-23-2007, 10:08 AM
thank you so much for all of these great solutions. I'm going to try each one. Before I posted this, I used a volume hypervoxel with a 50 particle limit, and I had a one pass antialiasing. I had set the frames to 300 so I could have a longer explosion. I was shocked to see that it took eight hours to do about a third of these frames. Where are Larry's tutorials? I would like to see them. I have to render the picture so hold on a sec. Anyway, thank you for that website with the hypervoxels as well.

Surrealist.
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Just click on a lonk below Larry's name.

starbase1
01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Another trick to speed things up - as I mentioned, pHV overlap slows things down quite a bit, and when the particles first appear they often come from a small volume or piont.

If you can get awaywith a bigger emmitter volume it will speed up.

As a more general alternative, look at controling the particle size with a gradient, keyed on relative particle age. Use this so they start and end at size 0, and spend most of the time at 100% - this also means that they don't pop into existence or vanish suddenly...

Nick

Surrealist.
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Also there was a thread here about steam. There were some real quick simple examples. Search it and you'll find it.

vhfw
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
thank you all so much for your help! I took all of your advice and now i got an incredible explosion! However now when i render the scene, i get a checkerboard like pattern over my object, what is this? I probably seem like an idiot, but like i said im new at this.

thanks again for all of your great help!

Surrealist.
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
If you are in discovery mode that would do it. Do you mean over the whole image or over just the object?

vhfw
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
yes i was in discovery mode. if forgot to put le in :)
anyway, i'm working on rendering the explosion if you guys would like to see it. it probably will be up by tomorrow evening. it looks very cool if i do say so myself! :)

Surrealist.
01-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Would love to see it.

vhfw
01-24-2007, 09:59 PM
one more question before i upload, is there a way to set how big the hypervoxel gets over time? also, is there a way to set when the hypervoxel appears?

thanks

robbiesmith79
01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Have you considered FPrime. If this new semi-modeling career of mine takes off the way I think it will, then I'm going to get the plugin. I don't have time to wait for LW to render on it's on engine. I need a nitrous boost.

http://www.worley.com/fprime.html

starbase1
01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
one more question before i upload, is there a way to set how big the hypervoxel gets over time? also, is there a way to set when the hypervoxel appears?

thanks

See previous comment - set the HV size via a gradient on relative particle age.

vhfw
01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
i want to thank you all for helping me through this hypervoxel problem. Thanks to you guys, I now have a wonderful explosion, unfortunately, its too big to post on here (more compression will make it ugly) so i will post a picture of it. one is of the planet, and the other is of the explosion. You guys rock!!!

prospector
01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
hit the 'tab' button on planet i modeler before you save it.
can see flat spots where polys are.
then in layout set render level to about 5.

vhfw
01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
is render level the same as antiailiasing?

tribbles
01-28-2007, 10:55 AM
No; prospector was talking about sub-patch division level - look at the object's properties.

objuan
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
another good hyper voxel speeder upper, when going for cloudy explosions or smoke, is to render at half or even quarter resolution, with no antialiasing, and then scale it up and blur it in after effects or the compositor of your choice. Slap a seperately rendered full res crispy AAed planet desroying space cruiser on top of there, and only picky jerks like us will know how cheap and schisty you were to get there. Full scale planitary destruction doesnt cost much these days...

One thing to note in AE, if you just apply the blur to the layer and scale it, the blur gets scaled up also, so its better to precomp your voxels scaled up, and then apply the blur. vector blur can be a nice effect to if you have it.

vhfw
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
that makes a lot of sense. i have avid and not AE but i still think they have blurs, thanks for the tip.