PDA

View Full Version : Text along a path in lightwave?

SpawnKnight
01-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Hello everyone.

I am back. I just had a quick question for anyone who has a moment. I am working on personal project and am trying to find a way to type along a path in lightwave using a spline or something, like in Photoshop when you type along a path.

I found how to do it in Photoshop and if I really wanted to I could simply make the example I provide a transparency map but I would really much rather be able to type to a path in lightwave. Does anyone have any idea of how this could be done or if there is some plug-in out there I can purchase that would make this work?

Adam

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2007, 09:23 AM
If it's not for animation, do it in Photoshop. There is no "Type" along path in modeler.

If it's for animation, there are many other options. All of which would be verbose if you aren't doing an animation with this text. ;)

SpawnKnight
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
****. Yeah it's not an animation. but thanks for taking the time to reply to me I appreciate it!

gjjackson
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I haven't used some of the new tools much but how about that sticky thing or something like that. I just barely remember a video of it.

rexhiebert
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Check out the free plugins by PICTRIX. You can create the text and then conform it to a curve using C_Bend. Just tried it and it does a great job.

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Cbend/index.html

serge
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone.
Hello! :)

Maybe Spline Guide is good enough for your needs (Modify > Transform > More). However, it doesn't keep the scale of the letters, so it needs some tweaking to get it right (it's a funny little tool to use though). Also, if you have a spline in the background and you use "Get Background", it automatically transforms along the spline.

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
You're welcome.

And guys, I wouldn't TOUCH any of the other options if I could do it in another app and it's only for a still. The other choices are great if and when you plan to animate.

An epsf import is SO much faster and more efficient for such purposes. If money is time then fiddle-faddling with these other options is a lot of money in comparison to a "type it; eport it; extrude it; render it" process.

That said, I would recommend your getting EVERYTHING that pictrix offers as his tools rock.

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey SpawnKnight,
Did you somehow not get all I was saying? Seems so as I've read this now 5 times and I'm wondering what the expletive was for? Not sure if it was sh1t or dannn.

You do know that you can export that text from ps as an epsf, import it into modeler, extrude and basically treat it like any 3d object, right? Me thinks that part was missed... Tell me it ain't so!...?

SpawnKnight
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow

thats allot of really good info. sorry I have been at work all day and had not been checking the replies. I really like what I saw. and will probably just do the texture and play with transparency for the effect I am trying to get.
Thanks a lot everyone I really appreciate it.

Bog
01-19-2007, 06:41 PM
SplineGuide is wackygood for this sort of shenannegan, aye - in either Modeler for static text, or Layout is want it to wibble around.

'Course, you could always just fake it in AfterEffects, that's got some bangin' spline text stuff going down.