PDA

View Full Version : best way to reflect a logo in an object?

Johnny
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a client that wants their logo reflected in a sphere, like a chrome ball.

I'm using a light to project the logo onto the ball, but the result looks either far too dim, or blasted out by too much light.

is there a better way to handle this, which will give more control and a crisper, more readable reflection of the logo onto the ball?

thanks!

J

Wonderpup
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Could you use the image as a reflection map?- its a cheat but would give you more control.

prospector
01-18-2007, 04:46 PM
you may need to take it into photoshop and reverse image

toby
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Could you use the image as a reflection map?- its a cheat but would give you more control.
Textured Environment would actually be better, since you can scale, rotate and tile it, LW's reflection mapping is missing almost all of the controls that would make it really useful. I think it'd be easier to use raytracing here, and not take too long to render.

I'd put the logo's luminosity at 100% and put it behind the camera on a ploygon, and render with no lights -

Johnny
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Render with NO lights? I have the lighting/shadows/radiosity just the way they want it...

you're saying map the logo to a poly, then have the ball reflect that, right?

J

toby
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes - I assume the logo image is the color value that they want as-is, so luminosity with no light affecting it or the ball shouldn't be too dim or blasted out, but 'just right'. (assuming 100% reflectivity on the ball)

Of course, I don't know what the rest of your scene is like - you may have to use no luminosity and balance the lights carefully. Check that you have no diffuse on the chrome sphere though.

Johnny
01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
OK..no lights on the poly with the logo mapped to it.

yeah, the logo is the way they want it as-is, so I see your point about not shining lights on it which would alter it's tonal balance, color, intensity, etc.

OK..thanks for the advice..I'm on it right now.

J