PDA

View Full Version : Particle Emitter Help...

experimation
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to do something I thought would be quite simple. I have a particle emitter that I've animated moving across the screen. As it moves, it changes direction. The problem I am running into is that the particles emitted don't follow the motion of the emitter...they continue along and don't follow the path of the emitter. Is there any way to make them follow the path as they are emitted? I've also included a screen-grab to show you the problem.

Thanks!

Greg

Bushmsn
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I think there is a alien to path in emitter properties.

evenflcw
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
First I'd like to welcome you to the board, second I'd like to commend you on how well you formulated your question (with screengrab and all!; Some make it really hard to help them and eventually end up frustrating themselves and others) and third I'd like to offer some help.

Once a particle has been emitted the emitter basically looses all control of it. So if you want to control a particle after the fact you have to look elsewhere. In this case you should not be moving the emitter. Instead you should use a Wind Effector with Wind Mode set to Path. The Wind Effector will then drag all particles that crosses it's path along with it, making them follow it's path.

So just create a wind effector, start it out at the same position as the emitter, then just animate it the way you previously did the emitter.

experimation
01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks so much for your response!

I've tried out the wind effector, and the results are not exactly what I am going for. Maybe I need to explain a little more regarding what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm trying to create an electron cloud that moves, and as it moves it gives off a particle trail that fizzles out after a few frames. I went about using a HV Emitter, just b/c I thought it would suit my purpose. But at certain points in my animation, the electron cloud must change direction from it's straight course. Here-in lies the problem with the stray particles.

I hope that a little more info might shed some light on other solutions or other avenues to explore to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks!

evenflcw
01-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, well I think the other main alternative is to have the emitter leave an trail of particles. In that case you would decrease the Etc>Parent Motion setting in the Emitters properties. Set this to 0% and particles will stay exactly were they got emitted. This however will not allow the particles to change their initial course (the one they got/had at emission).

prospector
01-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Pixie Dust

experimation
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
The Parent Motion is the trick! It's the one value that I didn't play with, go figure.

Thanks again for your help! :)