PDA

View Full Version : Toaster/Flyer wont format A/V drives?

tonyvdb
01-18-2007, 09:12 AM
I just recently got a 73gig SCSI Cheetah drive for my Flyer but for some reason I cant seem to get it to format using the Toaster HD tools. I at first thought it was a bad drive but I tried to format one of my existing drives that already is working in the Flyer but still it will not format them. The Flyer seems to work fine playing clips and recording.
Any Ideas what may be wrong here?

prospector
01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Was the Flyer capable of that?
I think the biggest drive at the time of the Flyer was 18 gig...or maby 36 if you had the money.
It would do raid arrays to bigger than that but single drives? I don't think there was Amiga code to even see drives that big back then.

But I could be mistaken cuz at $900 for a 9 gig drive, I may not have even LOOKED at anything bigger :D .

tonyvdb
01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes it should have no problem with that size. I already have two 36 gig drives and four 9gig drives running. theye are cheep now on ebay I got the 73gig drive for $50 I have tested it and it is good. It just wont format nore will any of my other drives for some reason (they do play and record). I last did a format 6 months ago and it worked then.

tonyvdb
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Does anyone think a reinstall of the software will fix this issue? and will I loose all my work if I do? do I need to backup the Framestores, lightwave objects, transitions/effects and CG?

tonyvdb
01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, it seems that its a power supply problem or moreso the ATX to Amiga power supply adapter. I did some fiddling with it and it worked allowing me to format my drives so there must be a weak connection on it somewhere.
Anyone on here ever had this problem? as it seems intermittent.
Is there a possibilty that the power connections are not hooked to the proper pins on the ATX connector?

rcfreas
01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Loose powersupply adaptor not allowing flyer to format? wow That is an odd one.

Managed to get 3 identical 9 gig drives from ebay for about $60. This project is getting expensive. Figured at least two would work, considering my luck with buying used HDs. "working pulls" tested and formatted. yeah. 2 of the 3 didn't even spin up till I found the jumper settings. Now I'm looking for a scsi enclosure to house the drives...

more money more money more money...

tonyvdb
01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Ya' it surprised me as well that a power problem could cause the flyer not to allow formating?
As far as the SCSI drives are concerned just use a small tower case with ATX power supply to power the drives it works really well. One 9 gig drive will give you just about 1 hr of drive space for High quality video. You do not need to "short stroke" them as this option was there for SCSI drives of the time when the Flyer first came out, newer drives are much faster and you can use the entire space without problems.