View Full Version : bonsai

LAV
01-18-2007, 07:05 AM
it's my personal bonsai side of the sphere
I'd like to know your c&c

McFilms
01-18-2007, 08:10 AM
This is way too cool LAV!

Since you have the scissors in the shot, maybe a few pieces of small branches with leaves and/or a few single leaves scattered near the scissors, between the scissors and the marble. This would, in my own opinion, go very far to draw the eye in a full circle from the tree to the scissors, to the marble, and back.

Astounding, what all of you folks post here. If I had the cash, I'de hire you all!

LAV
01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I follow your suggestion. Hope you like it. Now I suppose having to improve the leaves. The cutted ones, above all.

adrian
01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah that really adds to the image. How did you model the plant?

Cesar Montero
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Very nice LAV, I specially like the way the leaves look on the bonsai.
How did you positioned all of them?
I'm guessing that with some cloning, but I'll better ask.

loki74
01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
very nice!

McFilms
01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I follow your suggestion. Hope you like it. Now I suppose having to improve the leaves. The cutted ones, above all.

I loved what you had before, and now I feel even more attached for the following reasons:

RE: Impression
I am honored that you took the suggestion to begin with. Many have commented so well on things I've posted, that I am now reworking some of my shots to impliment their suggestions as well. Looking at art, we all see things differently. Sometimes, after many hours of hard work, it is difficult to see things objectivly, and we miss details because we become "married" to what we have created. I have said in other posts that there is a place for us all, no matter the skill or how critical, but I think I might have missed the critic's "real" point: If you want to meet a goal (whatever it is), and you're frustrated of the lack of success, then you MUST follow a method that we all must follow. Focus on strengths, sharpen them, submit and listen, revise and submit again. Be confident, but beware of ego. I will never stop learning, ever.

RE: Detailing
Well, that is your decision to make as this is your piece. The "CG art" ability is known thanks to the picture's existence and composition, but the "technical art" is usually inclusive of craftmanship and that means extreme attention to detail and as others have said "to enhance the ordinary". Now you must chose whether or not to move into the "technical art" side to please friends who look at art from the left side of the brain, which is the analytical side but is really just as valid as it is part of the whole experience of perception. The right side says, "Ooo, that's cool!", but the left side says, "Yes, but there is something strange...". You will find the balance, I'm sure of it.

RE: Changes
Now, there is inescapable logic for everything we see. The instant we look at it, we are drawn immediately to the top of the tree, because it shouts and leaps out at us fro the white background with its size and color. The eye travels down to the base, then down to the bowl. Subconsciously, the reflection of the leaves in the bottom of the bowl draws us from the bowl to the small branch which in turn draws the eye to the scissors. Since the red marble is virtually on the same plane in the foreground with the scissors' handle (and the fact it is red, against the white), our eye is drawn there directly afterwards. Then we can't help but look back to the top of the tree, since its power is visually is obvious. We are drawn in a complete circle where we can enjoy the whole composition once again.

LAV
01-19-2007, 06:25 AM
I loved what you had before, and now I feel even more attached for the following reasons:...

mmm. I need to read and reread your post before answering you. Many thanks, at all.

To others: the tree was modelled at first with a little kind free program - TreegeneratorS12. Then I transferred it to LW and retouched and adjust it a little. The leaves derived by a lot of images I collected in nature. Processed in a bitmap editor they have an alpha version an a colormap. You can download them from a site of mine (http://digilander.libero.it/dartrender/oggetti.htm)
Then I set the color pic as a background image in modeler, trace the contour
of the leaf, set an UV map, applied the color pic on the color channel (as UV) and the alpha map as trasparence.
I had the leaf.
Then, in modeler I selected most of branches, copyed them in a new layer, do a 'less polygons' (gemmloss2) and 'k' illed the polys to obtain points to 'point clone plus' the leaves. Tuning the number an position of leaves points is a not so simple work I used 'jitter' a lot.
Then is an usual work in layout.
Many thanks for your worlds

Mrjack
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Here you are great work as the habite i lov'it
just one probleme if you wont a good rating's the sphere my freind the intouchable sphere as you sayed
i think you can play with the volume of leafs to creat the illusion of sphere..
i promice 10from me good luck

LAV
01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
RE: Impression
I am honored that you took the suggestion to begin with. Many have commented so well on things I've posted, that I am now reworking some of my shots to impliment their suggestions as well. Looking at art, we all see things differently. Sometimes, after many hours of hard work, it is difficult to see things objectivly, and we miss details because we become "married" to what we have created. I have said in other posts that there is a place for us all, no matter the skill or how critical, but I think I might have missed the critic's "real" point: If you want to meet a goal (whatever it is), and you're frustrated of the lack of success, then you MUST follow a method that we all must follow. Focus on strengths, sharpen them, submit and listen, revise and submit again. Be confident, but beware of ego. I will never stop learning, ever.
For sure. I am in the habit to usually post shots in the ' Gallery - Finished' subforum NOT because I consider perfect the work but cause I am 'married' with ... she... and I am in a lack of objectivity. Sometimes I have no more ideas. Simply. The work grows and grows, when touched and refreshed by other sights and point of views.

RE: Detailing
Well, that is your decision to make as this is your piece. The "CG art" ability is known thanks to the picture's existence and composition, but the "technical art" is usually inclusive of craftmanship and that means extreme attention to detail and as others have said "to enhance the ordinary". Now you must chose whether or not to move into the "technical art" side to please friends who look at art from the left side of the brain, which is the analytical side but is really just as valid as it is part of the whole experience of perception. The right side says, "Ooo, that's cool!", but the left side says, "Yes, but there is something strange...". You will find the balance, I'm sure of it.

Something strange is what do cg different to photography. We can say that a good cgpic looks like a photo, BUT it has something, like a sign, by which you can recognize the hand of artisan that creates the reality.
Craftmanship should be hided by the natural-real apparence. But we need to feel the difference.
Of course this is true if you like photorealism.
I prefer, for now, a sort of almost-non realistic picture, where I can hide my lack of ability with an impressionistic tone.

I am not so fluent when I try to use English to say other than 'good', 'it rocks', 'I dilike it'. So I'm tired. Next point after dinner! :)

LAV
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
RE: Changes
Now, there is inescapable logic for everything we see. The instant we look at it, we are drawn immediately to the top of the tree, because it shouts and leaps out at us fro the white background with its size and color. The eye travels down to the base, then down to the bowl. Subconsciously, the reflection of the leaves in the bottom of the bowl draws us from the bowl to the small branch which in turn draws the eye to the scissors. Since the red marble is virtually on the same plane in the foreground with the scissors' handle (and the fact it is red, against the white), our eye is drawn there directly afterwards. Then we can't help but look back to the top of the tree, since its power is visually is obvious. We are drawn in a complete circle where we can enjoy the whole composition once again.
... finished!
I am honoured. This is what I mean when I say that every 3d pic must have a further sense allowing you to see other than the reality the author draws. In my pic case, maybe this is too exaggerated to say. But I like to explore this side of cg/3d world.
In this case I could add my love for bonsai, and for the art of growing plants to obtain nearly abstract forms. You can imagine how interesting is to bring up a little tree to simulate the reality AND represent an idea.
bonsai like a (cg)sphere, as title says.
Thanks for the interesting moments :)

McFilms
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
No problem! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing more of your work.:D