PDA

View Full Version : Render with all CPU's

pox
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
As not all of Speed Edit's export options render using more than one CPU, it turns out that you can start multiple sessions. In fact you can even make changes to your project as it renders.

So I make HD video podcasts, then render them out to 720p WMV, iPod,DVD and PSP all at the same time on a 4 core Xeon system. I can even make emergency credit changes. Man I love Speed Edit :)

tmon
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough on the NLE side of things, is NewTek's rendering.

Of course, this doesn't need mention as far as LW goes.

But try final compressed output rendering out of AVID or FCP.

Take an extra long break, why don't you...

pox
01-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm going to try and ingest my next podcast HDV footage and start editing the first clips before the tape is done. I'll keep and eye on my cpu usage and watch for dropped frames. I will post my results on this thread later. Here are the specs on my system:

2 Dual Core Inel Xeon 5140 @ 2.33GHz CPUs
2GB Ram, NVida GeForce 8800 GTS w/ 640MB
1 7200RPM SATA 500GB System Drive
4 7200RPM SATA 500GB Hard Drives Raid 10 for Video stroage

Wish me luck, I think it should work as there isn't a full onscreen video decode and preview when ingesting the HDV stream.:l33t:

Tom Wood
01-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would you render a podcast in HD? The typical image is so small....unless I'm missing something.

Not saying it's wrong, just curious. :D

Ivan
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
I must have missed something, he isn't rendering HD for an iPod is he? Just bringing in HD and rendering to multiple resolution and formats.

Ivan

pox
01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Yep, we/I shoot in HD mostly because we can. It's nice to have the extra resolution for the green screen key we do and adjusting the framing in editing.

The Podcasts are just more of a hobby. I have my friends come over to help out when they can, and we don't have a camera man most of the time.

The HD is also nice for when we do a lot of PC screen shots or soldering. I render out a 720p windows media version so people can watch them on an Xbox 360 or a PC. There's not a lot of fast motion, so we can get away with a lower bit rate, such as the low rez iPod/PSP versions at 512k per sec and the HD at 2000k to 3000k depending on the how long the show runs.

Do we need HD? No.
Does HD make a nicer end product? I think so.
Do people care for HD over the Net?
We get a good 10,000 to 20,000 unique views per show over Google video/You Tube/Revver. About 1,500 RSS podcast subscribers. around 10,000 standard def video downloads via our website and only about 3,000 HD video downloads. There are also a handful of mirror sites we can't track, and torrents and other P2P sharing of the shows too.

Tom Wood
01-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Got it, thanks. I just like to understand the thinking behind the processes people use.

pox
01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
No, problem. Oh, and I do use the same equipment for my day job doing where we really do need to have every thing in HD 1080i. Just don't have to render as many formats for that.

P.S. Tom your post count is now 666. Does that have something to do with your title of "Undermining Authority'?

Philbert
06-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Other podcasts are also available in HD. Look at Rocketboom.com, it comes out every weekday in 480p. I usually don't bother though since the HD download takes several minutes and the show itself is usually only 3 mins long or so.