PDA

View Full Version : Favor?

Alkaline
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi, I'm looking for someone who is skilled in organic(humans preferably) modeling that would be willing do me a huge favor.

You see, I've been trying to learn computer animation for about 5 1/2 years now and have learned how to model every aspect of the human head, except for the ear. No matter what tutorial I've read, or which tutorial video I've seen, I haven't been able to model an ear that I would want to show off(i.e. one that's not total crap :P). What I'm thinking will get me over this hump is seeing the ear modeled onto one of my models, instead of seeing it done on someone else's. So I was wondering, would anybody here be willing to take one of my head models and create a video using it, showing how to model an ear? The thing is, it would most likely need to be done like you were doing a tutorial for a beginner, because I don't understand a thing about modeling a decent looking human ear.

I know this may sound like I'm asking a lot, but I don't know where else to look for help on this subject.

hrgiger
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I don't have time to make a video, but here is a wireframe and render of an ear on one of my older models to give you a visual reference.

I would suggest to you getting a good reference photo of an ear from both the front and side view and set those up in your viewport to use as background ref. Define the overall shape of the ear before trying to add all the little details. Everything you model can be broken down into smaller, more managable shapes.

Nicolas Jordan
01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Have you looked at the head modeling tutorial by Dan Ablan? He shows how to model an ear in it. This tutorial is in both Inside Lightwave 6 & 7 books.

UnCommonGrafx
01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Ask Larry Schultz if he'll share his spline creation tute for an ear with you. It is probably the easiest and clearest example that I've seen of how to construct an ear from scratch.

Very nice.

Alkaline
01-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys, I've seen just about every free tutorial there is for modeling an ear. I have Inside Lightwave [6] and have tried following Mr. Ablan's head modeling tutorial, but it just didn't help me any (only thing I learned from his tutorial was how to place the points for the eyelids).

How would I go about getting in contact with Mr. Schultz?

lion111
01-19-2007, 03:09 AM
i liked this one its japanese but you can follow the pictures or translate it with babelfish.
its part of a very nice headmodelling tut

http://www.little-tenderness.com/chimera.cgi?head=Head_Menu.html&tail=./04_Making/04_Making09.html

cresshead
01-19-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/

mr larry shultz....i'd reccomend his head video for you...

cresshead
01-19-2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/spline_head_tn.jpg

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/head_splines.htm

:lwicon:

Alkaline
01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
i liked this one its japanese but you can follow the pictures or translate it with babelfish.
its part of a very nice headmodelling tut

http://www.little-tenderness.com/chimera.cgi?head=Head_Menu.html&tail=./04_Making/04_Making09.html

Yes, I've seen that tutorial before, it is a nice one, but it didn't help me...

I emailed Larry Shultz earlier today, hopefully he's able to help me out :)

oDDity
01-20-2007, 05:45 AM
WHat do you mean all those tutorials didn't help you. If you haven't got the sense to follow tutorials that everyone else can, then there's no hope for you.
It's not that difficult to make an ear, it's just like modeling anything else. First you have to study the topology of ears so you have a virtual image of one in your mind, and then just patch polygons together to make that shape.
Your problem is that you don't really know what an ear looks like, because if you did, you could model one.
So, study some ears, you don't need a tutorial for that.

cresshead
01-20-2007, 05:54 AM
yup...simplest and least painful way would be to go n buy the head tutorial from ole splinegod...he'll take you thru head proportions and the background education to how a head is laid out as well as the modeling process.

done deal really...and won't cost you a 'arm and a leg'....plus you'll get ahead of your current impass [terrible punns there eh?]

evenflcw
01-20-2007, 07:47 AM
I agree with oDDity. If you can model Y, but can't model X, then you clearly know enough of Modelers tools but don't know the subject (X) well enough, you're not motivated enough or you're just looking for shortcuts. Copying someone elses tutorial or training video might get you and teach you how to model a specific ear-shape but I wouldn't call you much of an artist/modeler (then again some people just care about getting the job done). If you want to learn to draw, sculpt or model ears - study ears! If you want to gear that study more towards 3d modeling then print out some pics of ears and draw wires on them. It's faster than doing it in full 3d in Modeler, so you can do more of it. It doesn't have to be perfect either, it's just to get your noggin started in analyzing and creating a clear(er) mental image of the subject matter. It will never be perfect. And it will seldom be great the first try. So keep trying.

T-Light
01-20-2007, 09:23 AM
oDDity-

First you have to study the topology of ears so you have a virtual image of one in your mind
:agree:
There's a whole lot of truth in those words.

Ears are a strange thing to model, they can be very difficult if you don't give yourself a fighting chance by breaking them down into their basic parts. Sometimes just an example of each part can give you more idea on how you can construct something than a hundred tutorials.

This image should put you in the right direction :)

The image is from...
Drawing the Human Head by Louise Gorgon
Batsford - ISBN 0 7134 0237 7 (reprint 1985)

Alkaline
01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
WHat do you mean all those tutorials didn't help you. If you haven't got the sense to follow tutorials that everyone else can, then there's no hope for you.

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence there.:rolleyes:

I guess what's holding me back is the simple fact that I don't know how to break the ear down into simple-to-model pieces like I do the rest of the human head.

Alkaline
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, while waiting for Mr. Shultz to reply to my email, I've decided to try to follow along with the ear modeling videos located at www.simplylightwave.com once again. I think I'm finally starting to get it, I completed the first video today(did everything exactly as he did it in the video). Wish me luck guys.

oDDity
01-23-2007, 08:26 AM
It's got nothing to do with luck.

cresshead
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
...more to do with moving points/polys into the right place...

cresshead
01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
here you go.....tis in **** though!

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31344