PDA

View Full Version : splits

Sentinel45
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm doing the LW 8 tutorial written by Dan Ablan, the 'Ceasar' model from Chapter 13. I'm having some trouble using the 'split' tool so I can patch the model. At times I keep getting the error message: "no faces or curves split, selected points must divide selected polygons".

I've split almost every polygon/curve on the model, is there a point where it will no longer split? If this is the case, how will I patch the remaining part of the model?

Surrealist.
01-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Sometimes things can go haywire. Usualy it is simple. Try making sure that the poly or curve you are trying to slpit is actually still selected. What does happen sometimes is when you spit a curve or poly, it will deselect one of the polys/curves, so go back and forth between poly selection and point selection to make sure you have it still selected.

Also could be that the curve or poly you are trying to select has become detached in some way so that it is not actually part of the mesh and this can cause that eror message too.

SplineGod
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Not sure why you would have to use the split tool so you can patch a model.
The rules governing how to make a correct patch are very simple:
A correct patch is an area surrounded by 3 splines minimum or 4 splines maximum. The splines must be welded where they intersect. Select each of the splines clockwise or counterclockwise (depending on which direction you want the polys to face) and hit ctrl + f (make patch).
Splines are split and merged the same way polys are. To split a curve select it, then select the point where you want the split to occur and hit ctrl + l.
To merge, select both splines and hit shift + z (the splines need to be sharing end points).

Sentinel45
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Sometimes things can go haywire. Usualy it is simple. Try making sure that the poly or curve you are trying to slpit is actually still selected. What does happen sometimes is when you spit a curve or poly, it will deselect one of the polys/curves, so go back and forth between poly selection and point selection to make sure you have it still selected.

Also could be that the curve or poly you are trying to select has become detached in some way so that it is not actually part of the mesh and this can cause that eror message too.

I've been looking for what you said... it has happened to me. I also deleted and redid some of the splines. This also helped. Thanks for the info.

Sensei
01-19-2007, 08:43 PM
When you will finish spline modeling tutorials using "original LW tools" try EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com (there is a lot of videos showing it in practice, so you can see how your workflow will evolute).. and you will never ever imagine how you could life without it.. ;)

The main part of this system is module showing the whole object virtually patched from splines that you had in layer.. Similar like this happens with Sub-Patches or Catmull-Clark Sub-D..

What you see below are not polygons (see right bottom statistics window! 400 splines)
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Full/EasySpline_Jaguar_7.png

Surrealist.
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been looking for what you said... it has happened to me. I also deleted and redid some of the splines. This also helped. Thanks for the info.

Glad it helped.

And Sensei that plugin looks nice. Going to download it now!

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2007, 11:15 PM
That puppy is awesome!

Sentinel45
01-21-2007, 05:11 AM
When you will finish spline modeling tutorials using "original LW tools" try EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com (there is a lot of videos showing it in practice, so you can see how your workflow will evolute).. and you will never ever imagine how you could life without it.. ;)

The main part of this system is module showing the whole object virtually patched from splines that you had in layer.. Similar like this happens with Sub-Patches or Catmull-Clark Sub-D..

What you see below are not polygons (see right bottom statistics window! 400 splines)
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Full/EasySpline_Jaguar_7.png

Good model, Sensi. I'll eager to try EasySpline out.