PDA

View Full Version : FPrime for Intel Mac

wendoline
01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
hi,

i don't know if this has been discussed at all yet, have done a little searching and can't find out anywhere.. My question is this, does fprime run on an intel mac using the ub release of lightwave. Being an intel chip is it possible to run the win/intel version of fprime in the mac environment using the ub build.?

The reason i ask is i use fprime almost exclusively for producing my renders currently on 4 amd athlon 4400 x2 systems and was considering moving across to a dual processor Mac Pro and replacing the 2 cpus with Clovertowns to give me 8 cores (apple might even have this as a factory option by the time i come to purchase, heres hoping!!).. So any help / experiences would be great.

cheers
ian

Kuzey
01-17-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't think you can run Win/intel version on the Mac intel box with the UB version of LW. For one thing LW UB is not out yet and a PC program won't work on Mac OS X.

That said, you can intall Windows XP on a Mac intel computer using bootcamp and then use the PC version of fprime within the PC version of Lightwave.

If you want a UB version of fprime it's best to ask the developer :hey:

All the best,

Kuzey

dglidden
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
This is correct. You can't run Windows _anything_ on OS X directly, regardless of Intel or PPC CPU in it. (You can run Windows through something like VirtualPC or Parallels, but that's another thing entirely and not at all what you're asking.)

Not only that, but Chilton has stated that you also cannot run PPC Mac plugins under the UB version on Intel when it is finally released. (Which is to be expected as the PPC emulation on Intel OS X requires the whole app to be emulated, not just a loaded component as a LW plugin would be.)

So to run Fprime on an Intel Mac when the UB version of LW comes out, Worley will have to release an Intel-compatible version of the plugin.

Sorry. With any luck, Worley will move quickly on getting their Mac plugins ported to UB once it's released.

P.S. Yes you could use Bootcamp to install Windows on the mac, but you wouldn't be having anything to do with OSX at that point, merely running Windows on an Intel-chip mac. Further, the Mac Pros are 64-bit chips and as far as I know, Bootcamp has yet (if ever) to include support for installing a 64-bit version of windows, so you would be somewhat crippling your hardware.

wendoline
01-18-2007, 06:04 AM
thanx for the responses... the only possible reason i thought it might work is that fprime for the pc is intel code, which would run on any intel x86 chip (which core is still x86), and fprime (as with most plugins i would assume rightly or wrongly) doesnt actually talk directly to the o.s. be it windows or osx, instead it only talks to lightwave through the sdk...

but unfortunately as has been stated, the ub sdk will change which will render old mac plugins no good... shame..

never mind... here's hoping fprime is upgraded soon after the ub release, cos a potential 8 core intel beast is interesting, and i think the mac pro's are quite well priced (ish)... compared to mac's of the past..

cheers
ian

CAClark
01-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Are the CoreDuo 64bit, or just the Core2Duo?

Cheers!

Tartiflette
01-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Cheers!
Only the Core2duo, afaik...

Regards,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

CAClark
01-19-2007, 08:13 AM
As i thought, didn't think my MBP was 64bit (CoreDUO).

Cheers!

juli51
01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I run my Fprime on an 2 x intel core duo MAC PRO,.... i't runs,.. somehow but gives problems and can't save works rendered in fast wiew....

I'm waiting also for LW UB amd Fprime for it,... and also with some improvements,.... like a bigger render resolution for it's fast wiew,... it would be great...

....have also a question.....does somebody knows about networking with lightwave and MACs PRO?

Thanks.

3dworks
01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I run my Fprime on an 2 x intel core duo MAC PRO,.... i't runs,.. somehow but gives problems and can't save works rendered in fast wiew....

I'm waiting also for LW UB amd Fprime for it,... and also with some improvements,.... like a bigger render resolution for it's fast wiew,... it would be great...

....have also a question.....does somebody knows about networking with lightwave and MACs PRO?

Thanks.

i didn't try the renderfarm commander on intel macs, but this is currently the best networking app for LW on macs which i ever used:

http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

markus

juli51
01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I'm donwloading right now,... I will test it as soon as I bought the new mac pro,...It suposses to make a render in half the time?,...
What about screamernet,? is it only for windows?.

thanks again,.. nice city Berlin,.. mi wife is from Berlin...

3dworks
01-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I'm donwloading right now,... I will test it as soon as I bought the new mac pro,...It suposses to make a render in half the time?,...
What about screamernet,? is it only for windows?.

thanks again,.. nice city Berlin,.. mi wife is from Berlin...

the native screamernet is quite difficult to setup. RFC is really helping here, it's a sort of GUI and more for it.

have a look at this thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57202

yep, nice city, but currently very cold and snowy...

ciao

markus

Tartiflette
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
i didn't try the renderfarm commander on intel macs, but this is currently the best networking app for LW on macs which i ever used:

http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

markus
I must say that i completely agree with Markus here ! :D

And Bruce has been very helpful and he was very responsive when he was developping RFC3 ! :thumbsup:

RenderFarm Commander rocks !

Regards,

brunopeixoto
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM

Cheers!

I got the same question when intel macs were released, and I found some articles pointing that all intel chips on macs are 64 bits, but with these features disabled!!!!
It's possible to release 64 bits with a firmware upgrade, according to what I read.

John the Geek
01-26-2007, 04:38 PM
It was my impression that the Core Duo is a 32-bit processor with a few 64-bit extensions. Whereas the Core 2 Duo is a full 64-bit processor along with all the normal 32-bit extensions.

dglidden
01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
The difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo is EM64T - the Core Duo doesn't have it, the Core 2 Duo has it. EM64T is Intel's name for their version of x86_64 which is the backwards-compatible set of 64-bit instructions that AMD developed with the Opteron line. The Core Duo may have some 64-bit operations, but they would strictly be whatever Intel-specific 64-bit ops from the Pentium-4 core, and would not really support anything that requires EM64T/x86_64 for 64-bit operations.

Tartiflette
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I got the same question when intel macs were released, and I found some articles pointing that all intel chips on macs are 64 bits, but with these features disabled!!!!
It's possible to release 64 bits with a firmware upgrade, according to what I read.
Nope !

The CoreDuo is NOT 64 bits ! That means it can't run any 64 bits app now, nor in the future... There won't be any "upgrade" that will enable the 64 bits for the CoreDuo !

The only Core processor from Intel that has the 64 bits instruction set, beside the Xeon line, is the Core2Duo. That is the only one which will benefit from 64 bits apps or OSes when they will be released...

And dglidden is right, the 64 bits intruction set found in the Core2Duo is the same as the x86_64 found the AMD Athlon 64 line, which was the first to release 64 bits instructions to the x86 platform...

Regards,