PDA

View Full Version : Envelope and transform a mask?

Twrch
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I have always felt that the best way to learn an application is to do a project with the program. I have one in mind with which I can learn SE in the process.

However, I need to be able to do a very specific effect. The question is, will I need other software to do it or can SE fill the bill?

Remember "Schindler's List," an all B&W movie that had one sequence of a little girl in a red dress? I need to be able to envelope and transform a mask to allow color to come through on some characters but not others.

Possible? :question:

dweinkauf
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't yet received my copy of SE yet so I can't say if it can do it or not - I suspect not because it's an editor. I do know you can do it very easily with Mirage. Here's a link to a Mirage tutorial on the subject....

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/training_tutorials_HTML_Color_ISO.php

Dave

Paul Lara
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
SpeedEDIT offers some very sophisticated real-time color control tools, including four separate color-replacement channels.

If the palette was limited enough (or planned during the shoot) you could select red dress colors and key it with a negative value, effectively affecting all BUT the dress in the shot, and set saturation to zero. ;)

dweinkauf
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Paul,

I happily stand corrected about SE's ability to isolate colors. I can't wait to explore that and other things. A dealer will be shipping out my new laptop with SE on it this afternoon. I hope to be knee deep in SE by Friday.

Dave

billmi
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
And to add to what Paul said....

You can also easily stack layers of the same clip, and use keyframeable cropping, to isolate just the color on one charachter for the color correction.
Having the cropping follow an actor through the shot is pretty simple to do as long as the movement is something that can be framed with rectangular cropping..

ScorpioProd
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Even easier if you get Bob Tasa's 3Wheeler plug-in, which is currently out for VT[4] and coming soon for SpeedEDIT 1.0.

Beyond the color isolating, it includes animatable masking right there, without needing to do a bunch of separate layers to do it.

cholo
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
You could also duplicate your layer, leaving the B&W version on the bottom and the one with isolated color on top with overlay on, then crop the top layer to isolate your character. You can even animate the cropping. The only limitation right now is your crop will be square, but you can add soft edges to overcome most problem areas.

billmi
01-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Exactly what I was meaning, though not saying quite as clearly, Cholo.

Nice suit by the way - a more corporate look :-)

Twrch
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure color selection answers it. I need the whole character (Face, hands, etc.) to be color.

Is there a good system for creating an alpha channel (by hand and frame by frame if necessary) that would do what I want?

cholo
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Billmi: Thanks, that picture was taken at a wedding hehehe Nice wetsuit by the way ;)

Ivan
01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Mirage has a RotoTracking feature that allows you to cut out anything and it sounds like what you are looking for. Here is a link to the tutorial: RotoTracking (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/tutorials/Roto_Tracking101/index.php)
I think they have a demo you can download and try.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
01-16-2007, 09:20 PM
You could also duplicate your layer, leaving the B&W version on the bottom and the one with isolated color on top with overlay on, then crop the top layer to isolate your character. You can even animate the cropping. The only limitation right now is your crop will be square, but you can add soft edges to overcome most problem areas.
No square cropping limitation with Bob's program... Draw any shape with any number of points you want, any edge softness you want and animate it. :thumbsup:

Twrch
01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Quite interested in Bob's plugin. Any chance I can see a tutorial on 3Wheeler?

ScorpioProd
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Probably on his Bobfx.com site.

Note that the SpeedEDIT versions of his plug-ins are not yet ready, they're coming soon.

Twrch
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Nothing but descriptions on BobFX.com, found some screenshots on safeHarbor. Looks like toastergarage.com got slammed, or maybe he just let it lapse.

In any case I hope the plugin is ready soon. Or I will have to go with Mirage.

Pete Draves
01-19-2007, 05:19 PM
www.bobfx.com
the new website
Pete

ScorpioProd
01-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Nothing but descriptions on BobFX.com, found some screenshots on safeHarbor. Looks like toastergarage.com got slammed, or maybe he just let it lapse.

Nothing of the sort, Bob is no longer tied to "Toaster-only" plug-ins, not to mention that Newtek stopped calling it a Toaster long ago, anyway. So Bob got a better named site to reflect his future supporting a multitude of NLEs with his plug-ins.

In any case I hope the plugin is ready soon. Or I will have to go with Mirage.

Have no doubt that Bob is at the mercy of when SDKs are provided by Newtek, it's not like he can do any work till that's provided, and odds are that isn't ready till SpeedEDIT is ready, not giving Bob any lead time.

Remember, you can't go to your store and buy SpeedEDIT and hold it your your hand today anyway.

So frankly, I don't see the rush.

But as for Mirage, it's a great program that I recommend. And Bob's Oasis animated titling program, which is NLE agnostic, uses it as its render engine.

Of course, realize, Mirage isn't integrated into an NLE like Bob's 3Wheeler and Color Replace plug-ins are.

SBowie
01-20-2007, 05:37 AM
But as for Mirage, it's a great program that I recommend.Mirage brings a lot of things to the table that aren't found in an editing app. If you decide you want it, e-mail me for the best deals around. :)

Bobt
01-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow I didnt know that I was mentioned in here. Thanks everyone for tossing in that I am at www.bobfx.com now.

Its true (much to my own surprise) that I dont have a 3Wheeler tutorial up.
WOW how time flies I do have tutorials for it they just need to be converted from SWF to MOV. Otherwist is too big.
650MB ziped to be exact. You can download it though ..
http://www.bobfx.com/bobs3wheeler_tutorial.zip
Funny 3Wheeler seems to be of interest lately because I am in the middle of recoding and porting 3Wheeler for SE now and putting finishing touches
on Multicam. Much needed to be rearragned internally.

The masking is a multipoint polygon mask that you can animate over time.
Its what makes it different from the SE version. You can also combine it with the a selectable color mask. Together you can rope off an area and alter only the selected color in it. This is a very powerful concept.

BobsColorReplace is sold with it. But I am no where done with that yet.
It also has a multipoint polygon mask and but features many more selectable
colors to be altered.

Bob

Twrch
01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
OK Bob, I've downloaded these massive swf's. I open the html page and nothing happens. Do I need to do something differently?

Bobt
01-21-2007, 09:49 AM
If the HTML did not work click on the SWF's your browser should open them up.

Roger Mal
02-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Bob,

I downloaded the demos..very, very interesting. I'll be waiting for the SE version.