PDA

View Full Version : any news from PIM ?

titane357
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
it is time to stop waiting and look for an another solution or any "real" news soon ?

cresshead
01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
pim just feels like the 'arnold renderer'...great tech that never saw the light of day as a commercial package...

titane357
01-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I wonder a long time what happens to 'arnold renderer'... :confused:

Tzan
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM
this is a link to the last message from Enki about PIM. At least I think its the most recent. November last year.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58561

Bog
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Of course, you're now able to export your textured, lit LightWave scenes to WPF through Shaxam. Feel free to check out a quick example export (http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/miscellany/Dumpster.zip) (3Mb) from Shaxam to WPF (Windows XP or better only, sorry fellers!)

This was a one-click export from Shaxam to Expression Studio to build a WPF Executable - we've tweaked the spline handling a bit since :)

Exception
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
wpf? expression studio? shaxam?

You been drinking from the blue bottle in the back of the liquer cabinet again?

Bog
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
wpf? expression studio? shaxam?

You been drinking from the blue bottle in the back of the liquer cabinet again?

So, did the download not work for you or something? It's pretty self-explanatory - chuck baked scenes into small files and play them.

I know it's not quite as sexy as PIM, with it's bumping and normalling and such but it does work, y'know... today. Not "somewhen".

I really fancy PIM, but having come up with a solution that's good enough for most people right now, of course I'm gonna push it!

Capt Lightwave
01-17-2007, 02:27 AM
I wonder a long time what happens to 'arnold renderer'... :confused:

The Arnold render is now included in messiah:studio as far as I know.

I may be very, very wrong tho'

titane357
01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
There is more and more realtime 3d solutions, hope PIM give a chance to LW... Have a look to http://www.imagtp.com/ , it is realtime 3d archviz based on the cryengine 2....:eek:

cresshead
01-17-2007, 05:56 AM
'some' of the arnold render code was included in messiah but arnold renderer was developed with/on 3dsmax but never came out as a 'renderer' for a app...abit like some of the final render code was put into cinema4d's 'advanced renderer but based on a beta of final render stage 0

sculptactive
01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
For Shaxam. This link is great....

mms://wm.microsoft.com/ms/msnse/0606/28073/Shaxam_MBR.wmv

Worth watching...

amigo
01-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Arnold code is a bit different than what's in messiah:studio, which is an old branch that is updated by pmG themselves, unless Marcos (Fajardo) keeps them up to date.

In the mean time Arnold code has seen likes of Softimage and Maya after 3ds max, but I do not know if it has become a commercial product on those two platforms either. At one time Arnold was supposed to come out as plugin for 3ds max but too much internal turmoil caused a divide and things fell apart.

It's really a pity because Arnold was the one that started the whole GI avalanche back when (though it wasn't called Arnold then), but Marcos was more of an academic than a businessman...
The code was more of an API than a finished plugin and while several houses did employ it to make their own solutions around it, a commercial renderer/plugin never saw light of the day.

Never the less those were some pretty exciting times, and I'm glad I was part of it all.

RedBull
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes i look at PIM as "vapourware" all hype and no substance...
One of those cases where the developer is a little ambitious for his ideas, mehthinks..

But the website is there: And user forums, so you could always ask...
http://www.pimtools.be/

Personally it's "too little too late"

badllarma
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes i look at PIM as "vapourware" all hype and no substance...
One of those cases where the developer is a little ambitious for his ideas, mehthinks..

But the website is there: And user forums, so you could always ask...
http://www.pimtools.be/

Well it is NOT vapourware! I can fire up my PC and use it now, today, this second as i'm one of the testers.
What you have to realise is it is being developed by a talented indervidual who also runs there own company and also is developing other "higher end" products.
And so like so many of us there is not enough hours in the day to do it all, it may get taken over as others come along with bigger teams and just work on that one type of product, so just to say again PIM it is a piece of software (a plugin for lightwave) and it DOES work! :)

tyrot
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM

dear redbull

i am also another tester..and the last thing you can say about pim "Little"

PIM kick ***. I have seen technology demos with it...I cant give you more info but PIM alone will change many things in many areas. From MotionCapture systems to Real-Time Archviz...I have never seen any software is that much flexible..

So your comment on PIM is product of too little information and too Wrong style ...

You will be PIMMED soon..

Best

roctavian
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I`m really glad everything is OK.:)
Can you give us some aproximation about the relerase time?
I hope we can see it released as soon as possible.
All the best to PIM team.:thumbsup:

lion111
01-17-2007, 03:23 PM
soon????
when...:thumbsdow
its been..... i dont now
soon... 2 years now
still happy with quest3d

Bog
01-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Awww, Sculptactive - cheers! *grins* God, I have a huge double chin - must exercise!

But yeah, I was feeling a bit fruity when I posted in this thread - soz! PIM is for a completely different thing than Shaxam - we're bunging LW stuff into Web browsers and Web enabled apps - as well as basically opening 3D access up to Vista - PIM does the fancy lights, shadows and normal-mapping thing.

I was, frankly, being a whore. But you know... we worked hard on it, the Vista Europe Launch is on the 30th (and I've been working on something that'll bake your noodles, guys!) and I'm a bit pumped.

Love ya all... :D

Bog
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Goop - double post.

sculptactive
01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
and I've been working on something that'll bake your noodles, guys

Well I will be looking forward to that. Great plug-in.

Bog
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Well I will be looking forward to that. Great plug-in.

Cheers buddy! My magnificently talented code-poet pard Alex (he who was so hung over in that vid that his eyes were like to pee-holes in the snow, bless 'im!) is busting his pods to get everything we can across from LW to WPF - the protocol's slowly expanding into DirectX10 territory, so as fast as the libraries are opening up, he's ramming stuff into there.

Microsoft themselves said that per-vertex deformations weren't possible in WPF - Alex did it in six lines of code. I've got the warm fuzzies about what we'll be unlocking in the near future.

titane357
01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
PIm sould be a great plus for LWer, .... now. :D

cresshead
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
when though?
before or after lightwave 10?
...as you can see lightwave is develeping at a pace..changing how it works internaly...pim's demo's look ace but how far along the production cycle is it?
...10%....50%...95%?

it's great to see sneek peeks but after 2 years we'd hope a release product wasn't far away...then again we don't know of it's pricepoint either...some max based stuff that does the same is around $695

http://www.codeblend.com/visualizer.html

and that's available now...

Capt Lightwave
01-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Goop - double post.

Dam.n you....you'll pay for this! ;)