PDA

View Full Version : Light beams with other lights in scene.

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 09:23 AM
This is the first advert for my film animated film i am making.
Just wanted to post it up to show and ask a question.
Say I wanted light beams around the writing as though the light behind it were causing them, how would be the best way of doing this while keeping the density and not losing anything in the background in terms of colour or whatever. even subtle beams might help it.

I'm thinking because of the requirements in keeping the background lights as visible as they are, should the lights that create the light beams be set to ignore everything else or shold this be done as a seperate render with the light beams and added in Photoshop? which would be the best, or easiest.

Surrealist.
01-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Light volumetrics would work. You can control the density and the fall off as well as the color.

If you have not worked with them you can set up a scene with a simple object, look at the maunal and work out the basic settings so you know how it is used then apply that knolwledge to your final piece.

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Sorry if i got you confused.
I made this image using volumetric lights.
And was wondering how the easiest way to apply the light beams inside of Lightwave would be best given that the light source would be at the same location as the volumetric lights I already have in this scene behind the object.

I Hope that clarifies my question. :-)

toby
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
But it looks like you didn't aim a volumetric light at the back of the object towards the camera. That, with shadows on, will give you the beams. Or do you mean you want a Glow around the object?

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
the effect i'm thinking of is imagine having a smokey room and having light beams coming through the window, but it would be because of not smoke but an explosion, the light beams coming from the text.

toby
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Wait, "light beams coming through the window" or "light beams coming from the text?" Or is it both? Should the text look like it's emitting light?

cresshead
01-17-2007, 05:59 AM
the old way to make lightbeams was a cone with a alpha gradient fall off...rendered super fast too...go checkout the ''off world'' lightwave scene in the classic content dir

EagleWing
01-17-2007, 08:09 AM
the light beams should be coming from the edges of the text, the text therefore shouldn't be emitting the beams, more that they are there because there is a bright light emitting them from behind the text.

here is an example of what i'm looking for, see how the branches bream up the light from behind and therefore you see light beams coming from the branches.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Light_beams_in_smoke03.jpg/250px-Light_beams_in_smoke03.jpg

cresshead
01-18-2007, 05:44 AM
either place a light behind and enable volumetric lighting or do it the old way and make a text template and extrude that and add a graient fall off for a 3d vol light model as i indicated you can seein the classic content folder on your hd...

you have 2 good ways to do this...

IMPERIAL
01-18-2007, 05:56 AM
i use only spotlight with shadowmap for fast and good resoults

EagleWing
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
ok thanks all i'll look at the example in the content directly and mess around with the spotlights and do some fiddling.

cresshead
01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
let us know how ya get on...any real hassles i dig out a sample file for you to look at.

EagleWing
01-18-2007, 07:29 AM
thanks cresshead. very grateful for the kind offer.
I'll have a good butchers at it later on and let you know.
The only real fiddling around i've done with volumetric lights is doing that picture and following a desktop images dvd on animated backgrounds. (but only briefly)