PDA

View Full Version : Cut out face and add it to a lower third

colemab
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
What is the best way to cut out a face or outline of a church or something and use it as a lower third. I used this procedure in my old Amiga ToasterPaint program. I have tried to use photoshop and other paint programs by using the cut and paste option but that is not working. The only thing I have been able to do at this time is to select the hold picture and size it beside the lower third text.

ScorpioProd
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, you could use Mirage or Aura... Aura coming with the VT... Just load in the picture, and cut out a brush of it... Then export the brush as a 32-bit PNG (which is a PNG with alpha channel).

Jim Capillo
01-16-2007, 07:17 AM
I do it all the time with Photoshop. What are the steps you are using and what are you saving it as? Please list the exact problem you are having and I'll try my best to help you out.

colemab
01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
In Photoshop, I cut out the face and tried to go to VT4 CG and paste the face. This did not work. I tried saving the cut out face and loading it into VT4 CG but I have the black background also.

I am new to Aura. I have been experimenting with Aura and I was able to cut out a brush and place it in the brush bin. When I took the brush to CG, it did not have the background but it did have the outline of the box slightly showing. I am not sure of all the steps for saving the brush as 32 bit. Please list the steps.

Thanks for the information.

billmi
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
If you are cutting the face in Photoshop, first cut the face, then hit <ctrl>N, to create a new document, the size of the face. Then hit <ctrl>V to paste the face in the new document. The new document will have two layers, one for the blank background, and one for the face. In your layers menu, there is a little eye icon next to each layer. Click the eye on the background layer to make the background invisible. Then from the File menu, select "Save For Web." Here, set the type of output format to PNG-24 and check the transparency box. Checking the transparency box turns on the 8 bit alpha channel, making the file save as a 32 bit PNG. Save the file.

Then in CG Designer, drag the saved file from a filebin into the CG layout.

joseburgos
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I do it little different.
In Photoshop I cut the image portion I want and then I make a new document (same as Bill).
But here I add that I change the background drop down to transparent.
Now I paste into the new document and have two layers with the background layer empty.
Now I can save in any format that has alpha (targa32, PNG, PSD) and load into VT-edit with the proper alpha.
Same format I use for Aura and Mirage.
I add a new layer and make sure it is the background layer (layer closes to the top).
Now I can copy and paste selected portion over this layer.
Same way in all my paint programs always gives me the proper alpha/transparency.

Take care,
Jose Burgos