PDA

View Full Version : Replicating a Product

DHudson
01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Hello- I have a client who wants to know if I can replicate thier products in 3D. They sell pet-wear products like beds, bowls, leashes, etc.

I have made rooms and a few household objects, but nothing that has to be an exact of anything yet. If there is no CAD file or Adobe eps file for a product, how do I replicate it in LightWave?

Thank you for any answers!

Surrealist.
01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Can you get access to these things? Can you get some digital stills?

If you can go to their place of business with a digital camera you could take pictures of them from advantagous angles and load the images up in modler and use them as reference. If you can get one on your desk in the real, you can just use it as a reference right there and measure it. I have done this.

Also if say there is a patern of fabric, can you get a photo of it or even better have access to the raw material and photograph that? Or even a repeatable portion of it.

It would require creating a seamless map. There is a tutorial someplace around for that, but not sure where it is. I have one in my book "1001 tips and tricks for LW 3D" It involves going into photoshop but since fabrics are meat to be tiled it should be easy to do.

Just some ideas.

DHudson
01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey Surrealist-

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll have to see what I can get from the client. Hopefully, I'll be able to take some digital pictures.

Thanks so much for your info!

Surrealist.
01-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Well good luck with it. Are they the manufacture? Or is this an overseas import co? just kind of fishing for where you might find sources for patterns etc. anything that will help.

But I quess it is a you get what you pay for kind of thing, if all they have is a catalog they might just have to settle for approximations. By the way, what is this for? Is it for the website?

DHudson
01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the luck- I'll need it! I am dealing directly with one of the manufacturers, so that will be handy. And I do believe they are an American company.

If they actually go ahead with the project, it will eventually be put through Wirefusion for a 3D visalization for their web site.

Lots of "IF's" to go throgh before that happens. :)

Thanks for the help!

Surrealist.
01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Sure thing. At laset you know going in what to give as an estimate of time. - A lot! :)

Sarford
01-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Why not make turntable quicktime vr's made of pictures of the stuff?
Seems a lot faster and cheaper this way with the same result.

Well, if they don't wanna do the 3D stuff because of expenses you can always propose this idea and maybe keep the client onboard...

starbase1
01-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Beware of the fluffy stuff! Things like plastic dog bowls should be trivial, but fluffy furry hairy things can be very difficult to get a good match to. (OI am thinking of things like toys, peet clothes, bedding). And I suggest that you make it clear to them up front that photrealistic pets will be VERY expensive, (that's if you feel you can do them at all).

Sarford
01-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Beware of the fluffy stuff! Things like plastic dog bowls should be trivial, but fluffy furry hairy things can be very difficult to get a good match to. (OI am thinking of things like toys, peet clothes, bedding). And I suggest that you make it clear to them up front that photrealistic pets will be VERY expensive, (that's if you feel you can do them at all).

Thats why I posted my idea of Quicktime VR's turntables (made of photographs). You can also make a video of a turntable and use flash video for on the web. The photographs-route is better though, since you can also use em in print...