PDA

View Full Version : Blue & White Resurrection...

avkills
01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I am resurrecting my B&W G3 (has a G4 in it though) to possibly act as a renderfarm controller.

Other specs include: 1GB RAM, 37GB 2-disk Ultra160 RAID and a cheesy yet good at the time Radeon w/32MB of VRAM.

Is this a good idea provided I can get OS X running on it; and will LW 9 actually open even though the GPU only has 32MB?

My idea is to use the Ultra160 RAID as the depository for the rendered frames. Other things I need to get is a Gigabit Ethernet card for it, any ideas?

-mark

eblu
01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
umm.. it will run 0s x, whether it runs 10.4.8 or not, is a toss up. But the red flag is your Raid. That may not work at all. is it scsi? i forget.

whatever you do, don't try to make it into a render node. unless you have 30 of them, they just won't be able to keep up with a g5 (or a g4 for that matter) I actually had a small farm with 2 2gig g5s and a dual 450 g4, and the 450 actually made renders go slower. the g5's would rip through so fast, and then we'd have to wait for the g4 to finish the frame it was chewing on. those g5s would have torn through it in comparison.

toby
01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
I loved my astronaut-life-support-looking B&W. It could raytrace reflections in 20 minutes! Maybe I can stick two quad-cores in it. Yea, that'll work.

Is it a bona-fide G4 proc or one of those upgrade cards? As I recall, OSX doesn't run on upgrade G4's.

John the Geek
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
OS X can run natively on some upgrade cards. Others have "work arounds" to achieve this.

As long as the machine has Firewire ports, 10.4.x should install fine.

Do not soft-RAID your boot drive... It was unsupported, and may lead to file corruption, on an machine of that generation.

Any PCI GB Eth card should work if it's PCI only. Some dual PCI/PCI-E/PCI-X cards are flakey on those motherboards. Take a look at OWC (http://www.macsales.com) for the best supported Mac accessories. (Here's one! (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/GE1000/))

avkills
01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I have a standard ATA drive for the OS, but as of yet, it has not been able to boot, except off of CD, which is weird.

No I am not going to use it as a node, just as the controller; I remember the painful days of rendering on it.

No it is a upgrade card G4, and I've had OS X running on it before...my Grandma used it until she bought a mini. I thought the main HD was going on it, so I took the ATA drive out of a LaCie enclosure that I don't use anymore; the install disk sees it, it even sees my SCSI RAID. ??? I don't know what is going on with it. But I am going to get to work somehow. ;)

-mark

avkills
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
What I am going to use as nodes is a toss up at this point.

-mark

John the Geek
01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a standard ATA drive for the OS, but as of yet, it has not been able to boot, except off of CD, which is weird.

I thought the main HD was going on it, so I took the ATA drive out of a LaCie enclosure that I don't use anymore; the install disk sees it, it even sees my SCSI RAID. ??? I don't know what is going on with it. But I am going to get to work somehow. ;)

Ruh roh, Rorge!

Is it a single ATA ribbon cable? (no secondary drive connector?)

Those onboard ATA controllers are all flakey. It's a wonder Apple never had to recall them. They usually fail halfway through an install with errors, and you are lucky at all if you can get one to boot. The 300-350MHz models were notoriously bad, but a few 400MHz ones were affected too.

More info can be found here. (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html) There was a revision of the logic board that solved this issue, the differences are illustrated at that site.

3. Revised IDE Controller Chip to provide improved IDE Slave drive support (solve the data corruption errors reported here recently with many fast IDE drives like the WD Expert and IBM 18GB). The revised CMD646 IDE controller chip can be identified by the "402" marking next to the part number. Harald Ruebenach of Cologne, Germany sent a picture of the chip showing the new markings:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newATAChip.jpg
You may want to boot from your SCSI if you can, or add a PCI ATA controller.

Good Luck

avkills
01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I think it is only a single ribbon connector, but I've nailed down the problem, just don't know how to fix it yet. The drive I just put isn't getting mounted at the usual "./" mount point, like every other system drive I've seen for OS X.

I will investigate tomorrow and also take a look at the ATA controller.

mlinde
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
avkills - I'm in your hood, and I can maybe help. PM me if you want.

avkills
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks mlinde; I will keep that in mind, thanks for the offer. I did not have time to look at it today, Mom's b-day, so tomorrow might be feasible if I have the time and energy and will power. It is not like it is any emergency or anything. ;)

-mark

avkills
01-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I think it is the ATA controller. I may just undo the RAID and try and boot off the SCSI card. Its not something worth spending any $$ on.

-mark

avkills
01-24-2007, 06:08 PM
It turns out it was the onboard ATA chip...bought a Sonnet card and it booted right up, took a while to find the drive, but all is well.

I am hoping it will work as a dandy little renderfarm controller.

-mark