PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft, HVs + TONZ of wind

McFilms
01-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Fully comp'ed in Lightwave with stock footage (sorry folks, I'm on dialup, and vids are out of the question). Hypervoxels for engine flame and wingtip contrails.
I have no doubt in my mind that another route could have been employed here. It took a good bit to figure out how to get the right particle velocity, and still give the illusion of things being left behind. (What exactly does a particle look like at the speed of sound?) On great help was to be able to give particle blur, and the overall motion blur was set to 75%.
My first run at it was total garbage, with the engines looking like they were on fire rather than emitting fire. And not just any fire, mind you, but a nice cozy fire that looked like a troupe of cubscouts could have used it for a weiner roast. Tweak tweak tweak, eh T-Light?

adrian
01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Judging by the image it looks really good work. It's a pity you can't upload any video clips because that would give us a better look.

Mrjack
01-16-2007, 06:36 AM
I realy love it exelent Mc... the lighting is awesome...
and all my respects...for all those works..

starbase1
01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Very hard to judge from this still image - couldn't you even show us 1 or 2 seconds?

T-Light
01-16-2007, 09:50 AM
McFilms -

My first run at it was total garbage, with the engines looking like they were on fire rather than emitting fire. And not just any fire, mind you, but a nice cozy fire that looked like a troupe of cubscouts could have used it for a weiner roast. Tweak tweak tweak, eh T-Light?
:D :D :D
Maybe I should've said '12 pound Mallet, chainsaw, hacksaw, tweak, tweak, tweak' :D

Are you using viper for HV test animations? It's a heck of a lot quicker for routing out potential animation problems :)

Looking Good :thumbsup:

McFilms
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
McFilms -

:D :D :D
Maybe I should've said '12 pound Mallet, chainsaw, hacksaw, tweak, tweak, tweak' :D

Are you using viper for HV test animations? It's a heck of a lot quicker for routing out potential animation problems :)

Looking Good :thumbsup:

LOL!
Actually, it was the best advice ever (tweak x3). And, so very true. Back when this was done, I was on Lightwave [8], and I tried the Viper preview. Even on the smallest resolutions it was crashing every time. Whatever the bug was, apparently was fixed with Lightwave 9. I think SplineGod made a good point in another post about the ammount of particles actually needed vs. the ammounts used. My approach then was to throw the kitchen sink at it and trim down based on render times and overall look. At any rate, I went through 3 different tries, and like most times the third was the charm.

Thanks to all who have commented, and I have (after 6 hours uploading time) a clip you can see here (first pass, the best is being loaded now): http://www.macartscreations.com/Argos-upld.m2v
It's in quicktime mpeg2, and is around 14megs or so.

McFilms
01-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's the new render clip:
http://www.macartscreations.com/Argos-up2.m2v

starbase1
01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow, I like that a LOT! I had to reread the thread to check it was stock footage...

Only thing that does stick out a bit is those pitch black windows, (if that is what they are meant to be). Just an idea but I have had good results in the past by using my background video as a reflection map for windows, (though they nneed a bit of curve on them).

Can I ask where you got the stock footage?

Cheers,
Nick

McFilms
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, I like that a LOT! I had to reread the thread to check it was stock footage...

Only thing that does stick out a bit is those pitch black windows, (if that is what they are meant to be). Just an idea but I have had good results in the past by using my background video as a reflection map for windows, (though they nneed a bit of curve on them).

Can I ask where you got the stock footage?

Cheers,
Nick

Surely! It was a collection purchased for me and my film by Searcy Entertainment Inc. from Artbeats called "Cloud Flythroughs". I took one of the shots, reversed the footage, exported from FCPHD, then imported into LW as a background plate. The black, as you'll see in the attached image, had a cropped/shrunken clip that I keyframed/match moved by hand to align with the animation, then did a band slide transition to make it appear that the black divided and revealed the contents of the craft. In the "quasi finished" edit, the front, front push in to close up, side, interior, and rear shots happen so fast (2-3 seconds per angle, 6 seconds or so on the interior for dialog) that the curse of the black is diminished considerably (as was the curse of my fledgling use of that powerful tool we all know, love and/or fear, HV3). I never know how a scene will play out, no matter how much previz I might do, so I rendered a long(er) clip of each angle to use as "revised or comp'ed stock/source" footage.

Still, your idea is great to keep in mind for the other few dozen or so shots I have yet to do for the craft on other planets, etc. Places where I can actually loiter a bit, especially at the aft section where I have a pair of vulcan cannons in tandem, mounted below the aileron between the engines (ala B17G belly turret or Cobra nose cannon turret) which will be animated to be a fully automated "patrol/guard" for the aft section's only weak spot.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Mrjack
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I have seen the video exelent work i love the Hv result
one critic the lighting of the space chip is a lil diferent as the cloth..thanks and good continuation

Stooch
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
looks good, now you need to add some specular, a bit of fresnel reflection and articulate those wings and engines! with all the little adjustments you would expect the elevators moving or the wings pivoting, etc. :)

McFilms
01-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks very much, to everyone who took the time to look and comment. All of the advice and suggestions are great!!!