PDA

View Full Version : Surface Presets Libraries - Modeler vs Layout

MysteryMonkey
01-14-2007, 05:10 PM
So OK, this may or may not be a few simple questions. Using LW 9 in Modeler (MacBook Pro, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 GB SDRAM) I finally figured out how to bring up all the Surface Preset Libraries so they are visible to choose from. However I do not seem to be able to view all the Surface Presets Libraries if I am in Layout. I am able to load individual Preset Surfaces through the Surface Editor in Layout but I can't preview them before I do. I can only guess what they will look like from the descriptive names. Should I be able to bring Preset Libraries into Layout and preview them, or is that a limitation of the program? If it isn't a limitation of Layout then what am I doing wrong?

I suppose I could import them in the hard way, Make an object with several different primitives in it that all have different Preset Surfaces and then use that to load up the Surface Preset window, but it seems there should ba an easier way?

Here's a workflow question then, do most people edit the surfaces in Modeler and, if it doesn't look good once you're in Layout, go back to Modeler if necessary?

No doubt this is operator error once again.

TIA,

Kim

gerry_g
01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
'F8' brings up the Preset Shelf or Surface Presets but it will appear empty unless the 'Surface Editor' ('F5' to bring that up) is open first.........but whad-a ya-know I just opened it (Preset Shelf) with the Surface Editor closed and I still see all my presets, have they changed this or is it just me,??..........must check my medication

Dodgy
01-15-2007, 08:50 AM
There's a bug in presets for modeler. You can specify where the presets should be in layout (I like to keep mine in a separate directory so they don't get erased accidentally) but this doesn't match up in modeler UNLESS you copy the line in LW9.cfg which specifies where the preset directory is into LWMod9.cfg. This needs to be sorted. Maybe save it in the hub cfg instead?

MysteryMonkey
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
'F8' brings up the Preset Shelf or Surface Presets but it will appear empty unless the 'Surface Editor' ('F5' to bring that up) is open first.........

gerry_g,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I get that much. I've been to that point before, but I only see any individual surfaces I may have personally added there "manually". I would also like to be able to see all of the other Surface Preset Libraries that came with the LightWave 9 package. However, when I go up to the top left corner of of the Surface Preset Shelf window (in Layout) and click on the "Workspace" button there I do not have any choices of other libraries like I do when I am in Modeler. When I click on that very same button in Modeler I get a drop down menu where I can select from any number of preset libraries. That what I'm trying to figure out. Does Layout have the same access to those preset libraries, or are they only available in Modeler? If they are available in Layout what setting am I missing?

Kim

McFilms
01-15-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm using Lightwave 9 on a iMac running OS X 10.4. When in layout, I have to have the surface editor open to view surface presets. For hypervoxels, I must have the hypervoxels control panel open. For volumetric lights, I have to have the volumetric lights options window open to see the presets. Wouldn't it be kewel to have preset choices for dynamics as well??? (Otherwise my brain might melt into one big hard jelly cloth collision, free to flow about in a windy vortex ... Oh! Never mind. It's already happened!) *waves bye to brain*

Oops! I forgot to mention that you can also right click (ctrl+click, for those w/o 6 button mice) once you see the presets to create a new library, delete old presets, etc

MysteryMonkey
01-15-2007, 09:07 AM
There's a bug in presets for modeler. . .

OK!!! :thumbsup: So for once it wasn't Operator Error. I can live with that for awhile and work around it. I just needed to know what was happening.

So despite the bug, in a perfect world, where would most of you all prefer to apply surfaces? In Layout or Modeler?

Kim

McFilms
01-15-2007, 09:18 AM
OK!!! :thumbsup: So for once it wasn't Operator Error. I can live with that for awhile and work around it. I just needed to know what was happening.

So despite the bug, in a perfect world, where would most of you all prefer to apply surfaces? In Layout or Modeler?

Kim

Speaking jez fer myself, I do both. Sometimes what you think things will look like won't be the same until you see it rendered. Also, I did the upgrade to 9 and had to copy over my presets from the old to the new (old install root in "applications folder is called Lightwave [8], and the new upgrade root is called Newtek, so the presets shelf can't find more than just the defaul presets for 9).

MysteryMonkey
01-15-2007, 09:19 AM
There's a bug in presets for modeler. You can specify where the presets should be in layout (I like to keep mine in a separate directory so they don't get erased accidentally) but this doesn't match up in modeler UNLESS you copy the line in LW9.cfg which specifies where the preset directory is into LWMod9.cfg. This needs to be sorted. Maybe save it in the hub cfg instead?

Err, wait. Do you mean there is a bug in Modeler or in Layout? I'm not having any problems in Modeler. Its Layout where I don't see all of the Surface Presets.

gerry_g
01-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Unless U have 'GLSL Shader' checked in Modeler U won't see a whole lot and even then U won't see everything, certainly nothing from the IFW2 Collection, other than flat colors it makes more sense to do it Layout

McFilms
01-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Ooo, Gerry, you were right. F8 did bring up the presets shelf w/o surface editor. But only on the surfaces, not on the hypervoxel presets or volumetric lights.

I musta took some of your meds by mistake...:)

ingo
01-15-2007, 10:57 AM
So despite this minor problems do the presets finally work in LW9 ?

In LW8.5 they are unusable, if you save a named preset Layout wont display this one so you have to save it into the preset shelf. But the preset shelf isn't able to save names of the presets onto the harddisc (just odd number combinations) and suddenly begins to overwrite textures i have saved before. This happend after ten or so saved textures in a library.